Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MC Sports (Madison) posted

Peoples' Republic of Madison, Wisconsin, USA

MC Sports (Madison) posted

I went to MC Sports on Verona Road in Madison today to check out their handgun selection. They usually don't have a lot but the prices are good and they told me they could order anything.

Anyway, I noticed next to the front door where I had not seen it in the past, the sign starting with "For the safety of our customers: All firearms and bows... (you know the rest)" but the second paragraph on the sign went on to read "This does not apply to customers legally carrying concealed or open as per state law"

I left with a warm and fuzzy feeling; this being Madison and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon .45 View Post
    I went to MC Sports on Verona Road in Madison today to check out their handgun selection. They usually don't have a lot but the prices are good and they told me they could order anything.

Anyway, I noticed next to the front door where I had not seen it in the past, the sign starting with "For the safety of our customers: All firearms and bows... (you know the rest)" but the second paragraph on the sign went on to read "This does not apply to customers legally carrying concealed or open as per state law"

I left with a warm and fuzzy feeling; this being Madison and all.
    I would buy something, just for the sign
    Poor Obama. All this time, he thought he had been placed in charge of the GovernMINT.

Boys and girls call 911
    Men and Women call 1911

If I ever get out that way, looks like I'd probably buy something. It would have to be a long gun though as I don't want to make the trip twice.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

So.... what's the handgun selection like?

I had no idea that place was there, and even if the prices are a bit high the short drive for me makes it an instant win for a CC pistol or two....
    "I can only be held responsible for my own stupidity." - Captain Nemo

I never knew it was there either. Must be outside the Madison city limits. Draft dodging Solgin drove the firearm dealers, except for used junk dealers like "Grampa's" out of the city years ago.
    When in danger you can dial 911 and hope for the police to arrive a few minutes later armed with guns.
    Why do police carry guns?

The Joyce Foundation funded firearm control empire:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lFundingR1.png

"Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see." - Martin Luther King Jr.

I often see those, but the usually state that it's for firearms/bows being brought in for service or to be sold. As I am carrying for my protection I don't believe the sign applies to me, and I carry nonetheless.

Carry on!

Regular Member oliverclotheshoff's Avatar
    mc sports is in the city limits of madison they have a madison address im not sure how they are able to seel handguns none the less when im in the area i will definately stop by
    Last edited by oliverclotheshoff; 06-29-2011 at 10:12 AM.
    SCOTT

"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns"

"When seconds count police are minutes away"

"Dialing 911 only takes seconds but waiting for help may take the rest of your life"

http://g2-elite.com/phpbb/index.php Shed Hunting

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverclotheshoff View Post
    mc sports is in the city limits of madison they have a madison address im not sure how they are able to seel handguns none the lesswhenim in the area i will definately stop by
    Because that ordinance was overuled by 66.0409 I believe.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Quote Originally Posted by oliverclotheshoff View Post
    It took me six months. But I get it. Finally.

Sometimes I'm not too bright. Well done Sir!

Last edited by HandyHamlet; 06-29-2011 at 10:49 AM.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Back when gander was still in city limits, I asked them why they didn't carry handguns, which is when I found out about the zoning ordinance in madison. I ask them why didn't they ignore it, given the preemption law. They basically said they didn't want to pay the legal fees.

So, either madison is ignoring MC sports and their handguns, knowing they'd lose, or they are ignorant of the fact that they have handguns.

As an added though, would the store technically be in verona? I doubt it though.

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TyGuy View Post
    I often see those, but the usually state that it's for firearms/bows being brought in for service or to be sold. As I am carrying for my protection I don't believe the sign applies to me, and I carry nonetheless.

Carry on!
    Did you read the whole post? That is what it said.

Peoples' Republic of Madison, Wisconsin, USA
    The ban on selling handguns in Madison lapsed a few years ago and was not renewed. MC Sports has been selling for at least 2 years (that's when I heard about the ban being over and that they had guns). It's only a couple miles from my house.

I bought a Sig Mosquito there last year. The prices are decent but the selection is not that great. They typically have a lot of Taurus stuff, not that there's anything wrong with that. Currently they also have S&W Airweight and a Bodyguard revolver, an LCR and LCP, a couple 1911's but I don't recall the brands, and a few other things...

A clerk there did tell me they could order anything at which point he pulled out a catalog as thick as a phone book. I would buy from them again.

... and they are right next door to Home Depot, which not only follows sate law on OC but also gives a 10% discount to all active duty, retired and all veterans 24/7 - just show them your DD214 or military ID card

Does MC Sports sell ammo too? I'm all out of depleted uranium quantum bore tipped 9mm for my ninja glock.
    Last edited by IcrewUH60; 06-29-2011 at 11:31 PM.
    "In a court trial half the lawyers are wrong." - Captain Nemo

"[There is] a duty in refusing to cooperate in any undertaking that violates the Constitutional rights of the individual. This holds in particular for all inquisitions that are concerned with the private life and the political affiliations of the citizens." - Albert Einstein

gunowners.org ~ lp.org ~ downsizedc.org ~ oathkeepers.org ~ campaignforliberty.com/usa/WI/ ~ goooh.com

Thumbs down Kicked from MC Sports today - wife and child in tow

Went to MC Sports on Verona road today to "fit" my wife for her first ever handgun. She had her eye on the Taurus .380 or Ruger .380.
    Spent about 35 minuets or longer at the counter and thoroughly inspected, handled and compared at least four different models. All while I was open carrying.

All of a sudden a younger gentleman (employee) approaches me from my left and taps me on the shoulder. The following ensues.

Him: "Sir, are you an officer of the law?"

Me: "No, I am not, why?"

Him: "You can't carry that in here. The law has not taken effect yet."

Me: "Oh, I see. But, I think you might be confused between the new concealed carry law and open carry. Open carry has been legal in Wisconsin for quite some time now. My Glock is displayed on my hip and "openly carried", so unless you have a specific policy against lawful open carry, then we shouldn't have a problem."

Him: "No sir, you cannot carry any weapons into the store."

Me: "That's your policy? You do know this is completely legal right? You might want to check with your manager before you ask us to leave."

Him: "I am the manager and yes it is against our store policy, so if you would please take it to your car and leave it there..."

Me: "No thank you, We'll shop somewhere else."

So we left (with two hand guns still on the glass and the clerks mouth on the floor) and drove to Gander and dropped $516.00 on a new Smith & Wesson 38 Bodyguard with Insight Laser and some ammo for the wife

I'll never step foot in any MC Sports again. This guy was so sure about this "policy", that he threw out a $500 sale, two repeat adult customers and one future (my daughter) customer. Must be nice to be able to do that in this economy.

P.s. I've been in there before open carrying and had no issues. They must have new manager training that instructs them to piss on the rights of their customers and turn away business. So it seems.

"[There is] a duty in refusing to cooperate in any undertaking that violates the Constitutional rights of the individual. This holds in particular for all inquisitions that are concerned with the private life and the political affiliations of the citizens." - Albert Einstein

gunowners.org ~ lp.org ~ downsizedc.org ~ oathkeepers.org ~ campaignforliberty.com/usa/WI/ ~ goooh.com

So wait, he'll allow it once Act 35 goes into effect but doesn't allow people carrying in there? That's saying "Yes but no."
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    So wait, he'll allow it once Act 35 goes into effect but doesn't allow people carrying in there? That's saying "Yes but no."
    he was confused and both my wife and I noted his shaky voice during the conversation indicating some level of fear. I honestly don't know what he will and won't allow, but I won't go back to find out, that's for sure.

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    You want to know where most of the misinformation about OC and the new law is spread? The gun counter at the sporting goods stores. I was in Gander a while back and had to step in to correct the clerk three times when he was telling a lady looking at a handgun about the new law. He wasn't happy and I certainly would have minded my own business but what he was telling her could have gotten her into some serious trouble.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

So is the sign still up or has it been changed that they dont let you carry in the store anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by turbojohn41 View Post
    So is the sign still up or has it been changed that they dont let you carry in the store anymore?
    I did not see any sign on the way in (I could have missed it) but what I left out originally was that after he first confronted me and told me "that wasn't allowed in here", I apologized and told him that I did not see a sign. He said that "they haven't put them up yet" ?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Brass Magnet View Post
    You want to know where most of the misinformation about OC and the new law is spread? The gun counter at the sporting goods stores. I was in Gander a while back and had to step in to correct the clerk three times when he was telling a lady looking at a handgun about the new law. He wasn't happy and I certainly would have minded my own business but what he was telling her could have gotten her into some serious trouble.
    yeah, the odd thing is that the kid at the MC Sports counter had NO problem working with us while I was carrying. He even made a comment to my wife something to the effect "now this gun here is much smaller and lighter than your husband's Glock) as he pointed to my firearm.

I get lucky at Gander, somehow always end up with Tom.

Has anyone contacted the GM of the store in verona to find out official policy? Or contacted the corporate office?

Quote Originally Posted by bmwguy11 View Post
    Has anyone contacted the GM of the store in verona to find out official policy? Or contacted the corporate office?
    I thought honestly about that, but then I thought WHY?
    They've communicated their policy and I've made my purchase elsewhere.

This is a free market and the GM is responsible for the employees' actions. To me, whats done is done and I won't be back. If they can't get something as important as the right to self defense down right, why would I have faith in this retailer to do anything right?

Just my personal opinion. Of course, anyone is free to make contact with the store if they wish. You can even use this story as a reference. I'm also sure it was all taped (with the store security camera) if he/she would like to review it.

Because YOU are the "victim", you should make your displeasure known, ask for a clarification of their policy, and if guns ARE allowed, ask for a smackdown by that managers manager. If you don't do it, how will they know?

Quote Originally Posted by rcav8r View Post
    Because YOU are the "victim", you should make your displeasure known, ask for a clarification of their policy, and if guns ARE allowed, ask for a smackdown by that managers manager. If you don't do it, how will they know?
    But I'm not displeased. I don't go shopping and "expect" private organizations to do anything and I certainly don't see myself as a "victim". i don't subscribe to that kind of mentality. I was free to walk into their store and I was free to walk right out. No victimization there.

They are free to set their policy as they choose.
    They are free to loosely or strictly enforce those policies.
    They are free to be incorrect.
    They are free to lose my business for their errors or their policy.

We all "like" or "dislike" doing business with different companies. These opinions are formed by they way we are treated when we are in their establishments. Some factors include, price, value, convenience, cleanliness, safety, hours of operation, location, and products and services offered.
    When a business fails to meet the customer's expectations, the customers do not return.

I speak with my dollars and owe that retail store nothing. In my mind, not even the courtesy to let the GM know that he/she might have a "rogue" manager on his hands. The GM makes a lot of money managing that store. it's his/her responsibility to manage it effectively.

If we allow free market principles to run their course, then maybe, just maybe we'd have a lot less of these stores around. Who knows?

I see the point that if it is NOT their policy, and the manager was wrong, then anyone inclined to advise the GM should feel free to do so. I am not so inclined.

I gave that a store ONE opportunity to KEEP my business when I said "are you sure? Maybe you should check with the manager."

[Added on edit] If you're going to run a retail store that sells guns to the public, you better make damn sure your managers and employees know the law about said guns. Fair enough?
    Last edited by IcrewUH60; 09-02-2011 at 12:11 PM.

Well, I hear what you are saying. But consider this. I deal with the service industry as part of my job. I have contact with managers, owners, and independent contractors.

They always want feedback. If they get no feedback they don't know for sure how their customers perceive their business. I always compliment staff in front of owners when they do a great job. I always tell managers or owners if they have a total dick working for them. In a professional way. They need to know and want to know. They can't correct bad behavior or problems if they don't have a clue.

See where I am going with this?

Word of mouth is everything to a business. But if you are done you are done.

Happy long weekend!
    Last edited by HandyHamlet; 09-02-2011 at 12:24 PM.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast