• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MC Sports (Madison) posted

bmwguy11

Has anyone contacted the GM of the store in verona to find out official policy? Or contacted the corporate office?

IcrewUH60

Has anyone contacted the GM of the store in verona to find out official policy? Or contacted the corporate office?

I thought honestly about that, but then I thought WHY?
They've communicated their policy and I've made my purchase elsewhere.

This is a free market and the GM is responsible for the employees' actions. To me, whats done is done and I won't be back. If they can't get something as important as the right to self defense down right, why would I have faith in this retailer to do anything right?

Just my personal opinion. Of course, anyone is free to make contact with the store if they wish. You can even use this story as a reference. I'm also sure it was all taped (with the store security camera) if he/she would like to review it.

rcav8r

Because YOU are the "victim", you should make your displeasure known, ask for a clarification of their policy, and if guns ARE allowed, ask for a smackdown by that managers manager. If you don't do it, how will they know?

IcrewUH60

Because YOU are the "victim", you should make your displeasure known, ask for a clarification of their policy, and if guns ARE allowed, ask for a smackdown by that managers manager. If you don't do it, how will they know?

But I'm not displeased. I don't go shopping and "expect" private organizations to do anything and I certainly don't see myself as a "victim". i don't subscribe to that kind of mentality. I was free to walk into their store and I was free to walk right out. No victimization there.

They are free to set their policy as they choose.
They are free to loosely or strictly enforce those policies.
They are free to be incorrect.
They are free to lose my business for their errors or their policy.

We all "like" or "dislike" doing business with different companies. These opinions are formed by they way we are treated when we are in their establishments. Some factors include, price, value, convenience, cleanliness, safety, hours of operation, location, and products and services offered.
When a business fails to meet the customer's expectations, the customers do not return.

I speak with my dollars and owe that retail store nothing. In my mind, not even the courtesy to let the GM know that he/she might have a "rogue" manager on his hands. The GM makes a lot of money managing that store. it's his/her responsibility to manage it effectively.

If we allow free market principles to run their course, then maybe, just maybe we'd have a lot less of these stores around. Who knows?

I see the point that if it is NOT their policy, and the manager was wrong, then anyone inclined to advise the GM should feel free to do so. I am not so inclined.

I gave that a store ONE opportunity to KEEP my business when I said "are you sure? Maybe you should check with the manager."

[Added on edit] If you're going to run a retail store that sells guns to the public, you better make damn sure your managers and employees know the law about said guns. Fair enough?

Last edited:

HandyHamlet

Well, I hear what you are saying. But consider this. I deal with the service industry as part of my job. I have contact with managers, owners, and independent contractors.

They always want feedback. If they get no feedback they don't know for sure how their customers perceive their business. I always compliment staff in front of owners when they do a great job. I always tell managers or owners if they have a total dick working for them. In a professional way. They need to know and want to know. They can't correct bad behavior or problems if they don't have a clue.

See where I am going with this?

:lol:

Word of mouth is everything to a business. But if you are done you are done.

Happy long weekend!

Last edited:

IcrewUH60

Well, I hear what you are saying. But consider this. I deal with the service industry as part of my job. I have contact with managers, owners, and independent contractors.

They always want feedback. If they get no feedback they don't know for sure how their customers perceive their business. I always compliment staff in front of owners when they do a great job. I always tell managers or owners if they have a total dick working for them. In a professional way. They need to know and want to know. They can't correct bad behavior or problems if they don't have a clue.

See where I am going with this?

:lol:

Word of mouth is everything to a business. But if you are done you are done.

Happy long weekend!

Thanks brother. I do get both sides of the argument and there have been many times where I have argued in favor of feedback in some cases where the "clerk" or "manager" may not be sure about themselves or the policy. But, this guy was like "nope, I am the manager, and it IS our store policy".

In this case, I believe the GM has all the tools necessary at his disposal to manage his store as he/she sees fit. The entire store is filmed by security cameras. He/she can review them at any time, I'm assuming.

Other employees who witnessed the event (the gun clerk for sure) seemed pretty sad as they said "sorry, have a nice day" to myself, wife and 10 year old daughter as we walked out. They could report the incident to the GM. Weekly meetings and an "open door" policy can go a long way in securing feedback from customer interactions. If I was the gun sales clerk, you bet my a$$ I'd go talk to the GM first chance I had to clarify the store policy.

I would also assume that if a store policy is violated and a manager had to get involved that a "report"?? of some kind may be in order, I don't know but if I was the GM and a manager of mine asked a potential customer to leave based on "store policy", I'd sure like to be informed of the event! Hell, I'd even make it "store policy" to inform the GM anytime a customer is turned away or asked to leave. That's MY money and MY profits you are turning away and I'd like to know why.

In the end, he sells guns. He feeds his family with the profits he makes from such sales. What would you do to "secure" those profits?

protias

Thanks brother. I do get both sides of the argument and there have been many times where I have argued in favor of feedback in some cases where the "clerk" or "manager" may not be sure about themselves or the policy. But, this guy was like "nope, I am the manager, and it IS our store policy".

In this case, I believe the GM has all the tools necessary at his disposal to manage his store as he/she sees fit. The entire store is filmed by security cameras. He/she can review them at any time, I'm assuming.

Other employees who witnessed the event (the gun clerk for sure) seemed pretty sad as they said "sorry, have a nice day" to myself, wife and 10 year old daughter as we walked out. They could report the incident to the GM. Weekly meetings and an "open door" policy can go a long way in securing feedback from customer interactions. If I was the gun sales clerk, you bet my a$$ I'd go talk to the GM first chance I had to clarify the store policy.

I would also assume that if a store policy is violated and a manager had to get involved that a "report"?? of some kind may be in order, I don't know but if I was the GM and a manager of mine asked a potential customer to leave based on "store policy", I'd sure like to be informed of the event! Hell, I'd even make it "store policy" to inform the GM anytime a customer is turned away or asked to leave. That's MY money and MY profits you are turning away and I'd like to know why.

In the end, he sells guns. He feeds his family with the profits he makes from such sales. What would you do to "secure" those profits?

Please do not assume anything. Anytime someone has run into an issue like this, we've gone to the higher ups for clarification. Most stores will say their manager was wrong and clarified the corporate policy.

IcrewUH60

Please do not assume anything. Anytime someone has run into an issue like this, we've gone to the higher ups for clarification. Most stores will say their manager was wrong and clarified the corporate policy.

just so the next manager can be wrong later down the road and turn away another customer? They sell guns, it should be important for all managers to know the law.

I still don't believe that my assumptions (of what the GM's options are) trump the fact that "I believe the GM has all the tools necessary at his disposal to manage his store as he/she sees fit."

I know this isn't a perfect world and people do make mistakes. It's nice to give the benefit of doubt to the "owner" or GM. But the owner and the GM get paid based on their employees performance and actions.

They lost the sale and repeat customer. Why would I change anything? To be nice and help the GM make a bigger profit and keep more customers?
If they corrected the managers actions and reinforced the actual store policy, would I shop there again?

So, I'm not trying to argue, but I gave the store it's chance.

paul@paul-fisher.com

just so the next manager can be wrong later down the road and turn away another customer? They sell guns, it should be important for all managers to know the law.

I still don't believe that my assumptions (of what the GM's options are) trump the fact that "I believe the GM has all the tools necessary at his disposal to manage his store as he/she sees fit."

I know this isn't a perfect world and people do make mistakes. It's nice to give the benefit of doubt to the "owner" or GM. But the owner and the GM get paid based on their employees performance and actions.

They lost the sale and repeat customer. Why would I change anything? To be nice and help the GM make a bigger profit and keep more customers?
If they corrected the managers actions and reinforced the actual store policy, would I shop there again?

So, I'm not trying to argue, but I gave the store it's chance.

You can do what you want.

What I would do is at the very least send an email/letter to Corporate explaining what happened and tell them they have lost you as a customer and that you left the store and spent money at a competitor that night.

At the very least it gives them an opportunity to educate their managers. If you don't want to, that is your call.

IcrewUH60

You can do what you want.

What I would do is at the very least send an email/letter to Corporate explaining what happened and tell them they have lost you as a customer and that you left the store and spent money at a competitor that night.

At the very least it gives them an opportunity to educate their managers. If you don't want to, that is your call.

You folks are right. Looking at it objectively, I'm being selfish and have no right to complain if I'm not willing to make an effort to change the behavior.

I'll send corporate a brief email explaining how and why they have lost my business. Remembering that education is a tool we can use to further our cause, I will stop being selfish and do something that may result in a positive change.

thanks for all the feedback

IcrewUH60

My email to corporate:

Hello, I thought you would like to know that on Sept. 1st 2011 around 3 pm I was asked to leave the MC Sports store located at 4546 Verona Rd, Madison, WI 53711 for peacefully and lawfully openly carrying a holstered handgun on my hip.

My wife and I were shopping for a new handgun and we spent maybe 30 minuets at the firearm counter when a male, who identified himself as a manager, informed me that open carry was not allowed in the store. I informed the manager that Open Carry is legal in Wisconsin. He said it was store policy and asked me to go put it in my car.

We decided to shop elsewhere. Later that afternoon we purchased a new handgun from Gander Mountain. We spent about $500 on the gun and another $40 in ammunition. We will pick up the handgun tomorrow and most likely purchase a cleaning kit, a holster, and ear/eye protection from your competitor. My family and I camp, canoe and shoot but see no reason why we should ever do business with MC Sports. My ten-year old daughter was with me and asked why we couldn't stay. I told her it was because MC Sports does not want us in their store if we are lawfully carrying a weapon for our own self defense.

Can you clarify your corporate policy on the issue? I'd like to know what to tell my friends and family. Thank you.

and their PROMPT reply:

Dear xxxxxxx:

Please let me apologize for the situation that occurred at our Madison, Wisconsin MC Sports store.

Thank you for calling it to our attention, and you can be sure we will make every effort to prevent it from happening again. Again I am sorry for the inconvenience to you. We do value your business and your friendship.

I have made serveral phone calls and it appears that our manager was mistaken. This issue will be addressed further next week, when my supervisor returns from vacation.

I hope you will give us another chance to prove to you that our goal is exceptional customer service.

Respectfully,

Jeanne Klein
Office Manager/Customer Service
1-800-626-1762 x 643

guess they can come off the list?

Last edited:

MKEgal

Good resolution!
Whether or not you ever darken their doorstep again,
the manager in question will be educated,
sounds like other managers will be educated,
and it's much less likely that another citizen will be asked to "leave it in the car".

And I had to chuckle at your typo:
we spent maybe 30 minuets at the firearm counter
That's quite a long time dancing! :lol:

Brendon .45

Peoples' Republic of Madison, Wisconsin, USA
I'll have to go back there one of these days and check if the welcome sign is still up. It was just to the left of the doors when entering and was only about 5X7 or so. It did specifically state they welcomed any carry, open or concealed, as state law would allow.

Sounds like a rogue 'manager' will be re-educated here...