Thread: Open carry on a motorcycle

Open carry on a motorcycle

From what I've been told its a aggravated assault (road rage) to show a firearm from a moving vehicle. how does that apply to one riding a motorcycle?

Start here for the actual text of the law & OC FAQ's. Our "open carry law" is 9.41.270, makes it unlawful to display a weapon "in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an attempt to intimidate or warrants (not causes) alarm for the safety of others."

OC on a motorcycle is no different than OC on foot, except that you "probably" need a valid CPL since it's a vehicle. Long as the gun stays in the holster, there is nothing to warrant alarm. You go waving a gun around, and you're going to get in trouble whether you're on a bike or not.

So in short, no it is not unlawful, as several of us have done so before. Every year 'bout this time there's talk of an OC motorcycle ride but it never goes anywhere.

Geeze and I thought I was the only poor sclhub awake at this ungodly hour.
    Last edited by Metalhead47; 06-29-2011 at 07:21 AM.
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by RSperry79 View Post
    From what I've been told its a aggravated assault (road rage) to show a firearm from a moving vehicle. how does that apply to one riding a motorcycle?
    A holstered firearm may be "visible" but it isn't necessarily being "shown". For it to be viewed as road rage the rider would have to make some form of an overt act such as drawing it or placing his hand on it as if he was going to.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

To display a firearm is not the same as to holsterbcarry a firearm. Display means that a reasonable person would fear that you would use it on them.

If you have a holstered firearm on you hip, it is not "displayed", it is properly carried.

RCW 9.41.270.1 "It shall be unlawfull to carry, exhibit, display or draw a firearm...in a manner, under circumstances,.... as manifests an intent to intimidate..."