• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry on a motorcycle

RSperry79

From what I've been told its a aggravated assault (road rage) to show a firearm from a moving vehicle. how does that apply to one riding a motorcycle?

Metalhead47

Start here for the actual text of the law & OC FAQ's. Our "open carry law" is 9.41.270, makes it unlawful to display a weapon "in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an attempt to intimidate or warrants (not causes) alarm for the safety of others."

OC on a motorcycle is no different than OC on foot, except that you "probably" need a valid CPL since it's a vehicle. Long as the gun stays in the holster, there is nothing to warrant alarm. You go waving a gun around, and you're going to get in trouble whether you're on a bike or not.

So in short, no it is not unlawful, as several of us have done so before. Every year 'bout this time there's talk of an OC motorcycle ride but it never goes anywhere. :cry:

Geeze and I thought I was the only poor sclhub awake at this ungodly hour.

Last edited:

amlevin

From what I've been told its a aggravated assault (road rage) to show a firearm from a moving vehicle. how does that apply to one riding a motorcycle?

A holstered firearm may be "visible" but it isn't necessarily being "shown". For it to be viewed as road rage the rider would have to make some form of an overt act such as drawing it or placing his hand on it as if he was going to.

hermannr

To display a firearm is not the same as to holsterbcarry a firearm. Display means that a reasonable person would fear that you would use it on them.

If you have a holstered firearm on you hip, it is not "displayed", it is properly carried.

RCW 9.41.270.1 "It shall be unlawfull to carry, exhibit, display or draw a firearm...in a manner, under circumstances,.... as manifests an intent to intimidate..."