• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting superstitions...

Jojo712

Founder's Club Member
I figured it out, folks:

When I wear my magic balance bracelet and my watch with the watch face on the inside of the wrist (as Bill Wilson does on his videos), I can't miss.

77zach

It's all about practice. Shooting skill diminishes quickly if I don't do it for awhile, at least with the battle rifles from position. Unlike most sports, it's fun and easy to get back to form though. If you go to an Appleseed (highly recommended to do at least once), they'll have overweight middle aged women shooting like mark walberg in that that movie "shooter" after 2 days of shooting. Well, almost.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Here's another one: The more expensive your gun is the better you will shoot. I see guys at the range who can't hit the paper with their $2000 Ed Brown Customs while myself an others are putting one hole in the paper with our $450 RIAs.

77zach

Here's another one: The more expensive your gun is the better you will shoot. I see guys at the range who can't hit the paper with their $2000 Ed Brown Customs while myself an others are putting one hole in the paper with our $450 RIAs.

hilarious.

We-the-People

Pssst....it's not nice to shoot one round into the target and then put all the rest over it to make the rich guys look bad. :monkey

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
It's all about practice. Shooting skill diminishes quickly if I don't do it for awhile, at least with the battle rifles from position.

I've shot so much AK it's like riding a bike.

I hadn't been to the range with my Saiga in 2 years. I loaded up a 20rd mag. At 200yds, standing, iron sights, I dinged 4 inch steel 16 out of 20.

But my 1911... Well... I managed to keep 7 out of 9 on paper at 50yds... I know, handgun at 50? Still terrible, I think.

My only superstition is more of a neurosis... No matter how much ammo I have, I feel like it's not enough.

Last edited:

77zach

loaded up a 20rd mag. At 200yds, standing, iron sights, I dinged 4 inch steel 16 out of 20.

2 MOA at 200 yards standing. That's unbelievable for not having practiced in a long time. You should have been a professional shooter.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I've been shooting since I was 6. Picked up my first AK when I was 10. I've slacked off recently because I cannot afford the ammo. Until this new economy, I would burn 1000rds a week, every week, since I was about 12. If you recycled all the barrels I've shot-out, you could probably build an 18 wheeler.

So, as far as superstition goes, I think it's possible to reach a point where you've practiced so much that you don't forget or start to slack. Just a theory, of course... Theoretical superstition is as close as I get to actual superstition...

We-the-People

But my 1911... Well... I managed to keep 7 out of 9 on paper at 50yds... I know, handgun at 50? Still terrible, I think.

You need an FN 5.7x28. Reportedly 100 yards drop is 3.5 inches (I have not proven this as my range is only 50 yards)

From the ballistics calculations, factory ammo (SS197SR) in the FN 5.7 pistol will drop 3.36" at 100 yards with a 25 yard zero.

With a 50 yd zero, muzzle to 60yds is within 1/2 inch of boresight with a drop at 100 yards of .286 inches.

I LOVE MY FN