• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Trip to Cali from Oregon

VW_Factor

I've received news that my grandfather is sick and may not have much time left. I really really don't want to go to California for any reason (I was attacked there) however I would like to say goodbye to my grandfather before it may be too late.

I am familar with the areas that I would be travelling and know where schools would be (beyond the I5 corridor and the 99).

What do I need to know? My vehicle has no trunk and the glove box does not lock. Is a lock for the pistol up the mag well locking the slide open sufficent for school zones? While driving not in a school zone may I still have my unloaded, unlocked pistol out in the open with me in my vehicle?

Are there any town ordinances that I should be aware of that may ban UOC? (Visalia, Ridgecrest and perhaps a stop in Bakersfield) Are there any bans on HP self defense ammunition that I should be aware of?

Last edited:

Gundude

I've received news that my grandfather is sick and may not have much time left. I really really don't want to go to California for any reason (I was attacked there) however I would like to say goodbye to my grandfather before it may be too late.

I am familar with the areas that I would be travelling and know where schools would be (beyond the I5 corridor and the 99).

What do I need to know? My vehicle has no truck and the glove box does not lock. Is a lock for the piston up the mag well locking the slide open sufficent for school zones? While driving not in a school zone may I still have my unloaded, unlocked pistol out in the open with me in my vehicle?

Are there any town ordinances that I should be aware of that may ban UOC? (Visalia, Ridgecrest and perhaps a stop in Bakersfield) Are there any bans on HP self defense ammunition that I should be aware of?

I assume where you said your vehcile has no "truck", you mean it has no trunk.
A locked glove box or a locked center console are not a legal place to transport an unloaded weapon. You must use a locked container to legally drive through a gun free school zone. Trigger locks and slide locks do not qualify as locked up.
Local ordinances regarding UOC are preempted by state law.
Hollow point ammo is legal.
UOC is legal except within 1000 ft of a K-12 school, in a secure zone, such as an airport boarding area, or in Gov. buildings, regardless of walking, riding in a car, or riding a bycycle, or a motorcycle.
Anyone else chime in if I missed any needed info.

p.s. I use one of these available at Harbor Freight for about $15.

VW_Factor

Yeah, sorry. I meant trunk, not truck.

Guess I might be installing a lock box into my car then. Not taking my truck, too much in fuel.

and my word. What was I thinking when I wrote that post. It hardly makes sense. /facepalm Edit : fixed up the typo's.

Thanks for the information. :)

Last edited:

VW_Factor

No answer on the in car carry when outside of the "school victim zones"? May I UOC with my weapon in the open? (such as on the passenger seat, or on top of my center console)

mjones

No answer on the in car carry when outside of the "school victim zones"? May I UOC with my weapon in the open? (such as on the passenger seat, or on top of my center console)

UOC is legal except within 1000 ft of a K-12 school, in a secure zone, such as an airport boarding area, or in Gov. buildings, regardless of walking, riding in a car, or riding a bycycle, or a motorcycle.