• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Detroit:robbery suspect returning for shoe fatally shot.

lil_freak_66

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/new...y-homeowner-20110628-mr#.Tgu5SvI7XvY.facebook

DETROIT (WJBK) - "It just got to a point were we just had to take action for ourselves. It was just happening too frequently," said Hector Martinez.
There have been too many break-ins way too often at a home on Horatio in southwest Detroit.
"We had break-ins at least three times in the last two months," Martinez said.
Their pit bull was even stolen, but this time, two men allegedly broke into their Chevy Blazer and busted out a rear window about 2:30 Tuesday morning.
Hector Martinez's aunt ran outside and found one man standing there. The other was half way in the truck with his legs sticking out. His aunt knocked on the window.
"I guess that's what scared him off because then my cousin came out and he just started firing," Martinez told FOX 2.
His cousin fired warning shots into the air. The robbery suspects took off, but one man left behind a shoe and an amplifier, and when the men came back to get the shoe, Martinez's cousin fired again.
(more story in the link)

personally i think that warning shots for people are a very bad idea except in extremely limited circumstances.

but i hope the homeowner isnt charged,scumbags need to learn that they cant rob and steal at they're pleasure.

HandyHamlet

26-year-old Rob, a father of five, was killed. His girlfriend, who is pregnant and waiting in a car, heard the gunshots.

"He got in the car and got in the driver's seat and was like, 'I'm shot. I'm going to die.' And I'm like, 'Don't play with me.' And he was like, "I'm for real,'" said Jodi, Rob's girlfriend.

"I want justice to be served. That guy deserves to go to jail," said Judy Hedrick, Rob's mother.

And I'm like, "Sucks to be you Judy."

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It certainly appears that it sucks to be Rob, and it may suck to be Judy, too.

But the bottom line that I can get from the published report (which is a big warning that there is probably a lot of information missing) is that Rob should not have been shot. From the published information he was not presenting a threat of imminent death or bodily injury. Property is not worth using deadly force to protect - notwithstanding the fact that Texas has a law saying sometimes you can.

This is not a "good" shooting. It is going to bite the butt of RKBA for a long time.

stay safe.

lil_freak_66

It certainly appears that it sucks to be Rob, and it may suck to be Judy, too.

But the bottom line that I can get from the published report (which is a big warning that there is probably a lot of information missing) is that Rob should not have been shot. From the published information he was not presenting a threat of imminent death or bodily injury. Property is not worth using deadly force to protect - notwithstanding the fact that Texas has a law saying sometimes you can.

This is not a "good" shooting. It is going to bite the butt of RKBA for a long time.

stay safe.

ill agree that shooting the first time to scare them off wasnt a good/legal idea.

but when the robber came back,id be in fear that he was there to do harm rather than just rob me that time around,especially if i had already shot at him once.

from what i got from the story,he didnt hit anybody the first time,so he could be charged with a negligent discharge with malicious intent and a local ordinance violation for unlawful discharge of a firearm within city limits. as for the second time when he hit them,i think he could be justified,and i hope thats the way the court looks at it,misdemeanors for the first time he shot and justified for the second time

Last edited:

Badger Johnson

The cousin should have not gone back but gone to a lawyer. If he goes to jail, and it sounds like that's 'justice', unfortunately, it will be because he is now talking to police.

Probably can't afford a lawyer, and it seems, couldn't afford to shoot the perp(s), either.

Sad.

zack991

My question why was his GF who was the getaway driver not charged...... "The typical my son was a good boy and did not deserve to get shot." If you are dumb, enough to risk your life to steal from hard working people, and you die from your choice. You will not see me shed a tear EVER for people like that. The Entitlement that his family showed during the interview makes my blood boil. I do not wish death on anyone, but if your illegal actions get you killed, then you deserved every round that hit your body. I have zero pity for his family loss of their worthless son, I hope they arrest everyone who attempted to rob that family and child protective serves takes every single one of her kids from her permanently. I am cold to the core towards people like that and that will never change. If it was my son who was killed I would say I will miss my son terribly, but the idiot should not have been out stealing.

Last edited:

lil_freak_66

My question why was his GF who was the getaway driver not charged...... "The typical my son was a good boy and did not deserve to get shot." If you are dumb, enough to risk your life to steal from hard working people, and you die from your choice. You will not see me shed a tear EVER for people like that. The Entitlement that his family showed during the interview makes my blood boil. I do not wish death on anyone, but if your illegal actions get you killed, then you deserved every round that hit your body. I have zero pity for his family loss of their worthless son, I hope they arrest everyone who attempted to rob that family and child protective serves takes every single one of her kids from her permanently. I am cold to the core towards people like that and that will never change. If it was my son who was killed I would say I will miss my son terribly, but the idiot should not have been out stealing.

i agree completely.

on a somewhat off note,there was actually ONE story ive read before where the family of the dead criminal actually said that they understand why they're son was killed and that they would not hold a grudge against the shooter,i have some respect for families like that,but none for the ones that say that they're babies are innocent even though a dozen mics and cameras recorded them robbing and raping etc...

protias

Bullets that go up, must come down. It is far better to shoot into the ground. With that said, it is better to shoot the perps.