• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thought I was going to have to draw

CDT COX

Still a bit shook up right now

I get off from work around 9:30 or so, its always dark when I do. Well, about 20 minutes ago I got out of my Jeep at the gas station. I put my card in the pump and heard some yelling. While I was filling up, across the street from the gas station a big black dude was yelling toward the gas station F-this, F-that, I dont give a F, I'll F all you MF's up, ect. The pump I was at is closet to the road. Anyway the guy was mad as hell about something, or someone at the gas station. He took a step out in the street coming towards us. I hung up the nozzle. As he kept getting closer I was moving between the pump and Jeep around towards the back so he couldnt see me, or my sidearm. As soon he was past my Jeep, probably 30 or 40 feet from the hood, I got in and got out of there quick! I dont know what happened after that, but I'm glad he didnt see me or come towards me.

Ugh I need a hot shower or something thanks for listening

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Should have said "Have a nice day" as he walked past. But seriously, it's good that the situation didn't get any worse.

Smith45acp

So if a bigger-than-you but unarmed assailant was clearly advancing toward you and you had no means of egress what would you do?

Tough call to me. I've had my share of ass whippings growing up, and I wouldn't shoot someone over a black eye or fat lip, but if you get knocked out what do you think is going to happen to that pistol holstered on your hip? If someone is unbalanced enough to attack you without cause, could you trust him not to kill or severely injure you if he manages to temporarily incapacitate you with a fist to the temple?

CDT COX

So if a bigger-than-you but unarmed assailant was clearly advancing toward you and you had no means of egress what would you do?

Tough call to me. I've had my share of ass whippings growing up, and I wouldn't shoot someone over a black eye or fat lip, but if you get knocked out what do you think is going to happen to that pistol holstered on your hip? If someone is unbalanced enough to attack you without cause, could you trust him not to kill or severely injure you if he manages to temporarily incapacitate you with a fist to the temple?

Exactly.

Guy had me by atleast 60lbs maybe more yelling "I dont give a F, I'll F all you up" and other stuff along those lines. I'm glad I was able to get my Jeep between me and this maniac. I had it planned if he advance at me like an attack while I was still pumping/couldnt get in to drive away, I was going to unholster but get to the other side of my Jeep so there was no way he could reach me.

Coniferous

1) Larger man coming at you, openly spewing verbal threats
2) One single kick to your head can kill you, so your life is in danger
3) Have gun? Defend self.

kdt1970

It's a bit different for me, as I have severe sleep apnea so if I get knocked out, I will stop breathing and die. This type of situation for me is life threatening, so I cannot risk "to take a beating".

carracer

Perhaps get into your vehicle, windows up and doors locked. Wait to see if anything lifethreatening happens to someone else. Play the "Good Witness" role or intervene if necessary.

1Grizzly1

Any time you are carrying and you are involved in a physical altercation, the fight is over a gun. You know this because you brought it! Statistics show that if your weapon is taken from you, you are going to get killed with it. I'm not sure how it is in NC, but in Utah, if someone is advancing on you and they have the physical means to harm you, you can defend yourself.

I think you did the smart thing in just leaving.

chiefjason

I had it planned if he advance at me like an attack while I was still pumping/couldnt get in to drive away, I was going to unholster but get to the other side of my Jeep so there was no way he could reach me.

Hose him with gas. Go for the face and eyes. Then get out while he's rolling around blind.

Good job getting out of there.

Dreamer

This is why I always carry LE-grade pepper spray. Sometimes drawing and/or firing a gun may not be appropriate (or safe--like when you're pumping gas!). A good shot to the face with some high-octane OC should be enough to adjust the attitude of nearly ANY human.

And if it doesn't then the use of deadly force is even MORE justified in the eyes of the law--you tried to use a less-than-lethal defense, and the attack continued...

BTW, the new NC "Castle Doctrine" law that includes your vehicle doesn't go into effect until December 1 2011, just so y'all know...

62 Caddy

This is why I always carry LE-grade pepper spray. Sometimes drawing and/or firing a gun may not be appropriate (or safe--like when you're pumping gas!). A good shot to the face with some high-octane OC should be enough to adjust the attitude of nearly ANY human.

And if it doesn't then the use of deadly force is even MORE justified in the eyes of the law--you tried to use a less-than-lethal defense, and the attack continued...

BTW, the new NC "Castle Doctrine" law that includes your vehicle doesn't go into effect until December 1 2011, just so y'all know...

+1
Great advice, thanks.

edrolee

for me, in this situation if i had no means or time to escape i would have had my hand on my pistol (still holstered but maybe slipped the safety off, i OC a 1911 C&L) and if the guy came towards me i would have cautioned him that i'm just a by stander but that i am armed and will not be harmed my self, of course if you inform an irate person that you are armed he/she may pull a gun on you so if you do inform you got to be ready to draw and fire fast

JMHO

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I'm a 'run towards the fire' kind of guy. I wouldn't have bailed. I don't call your actions wrong. But it left someone else to deal with it who was likely inadequately prepared. I care about such things.

Smith45acp

I'm a 'run towards the fire' kind of guy. I wouldn't have bailed. I don't call your actions wrong. But it left someone else to deal with it who was likely inadequately prepared. I care about such things.

You never know if the "assailant" has good cause to be upset. This example sounds more like a guy who is on the edge and mad at anyone he might see- BUT, maybe some guy who just assaulted his wife is hiding around the gas station. You never know. I would only be prepared to engage. My body language would attempt to say "Leave me alone and I'll return the favor"

Of course if he cruises on by you and then attacks someone like in that link above then quick intervention may be entirely appropriate.

open_carry

Still a bit shook up right now

I get off from work around 9:30 or so, its always dark when I do. Well, about 20 minutes ago I got out of my Jeep at the gas station. I put my card in the pump and heard some yelling. While I was filling up, across the street from the gas station a big black dude was yelling toward the gas station F-this, F-that, I dont give a F, I'll F all you MF's up, ect. The pump I was at is closet to the road. Anyway the guy was mad as hell about something, or someone at the gas station. He took a step out in the street coming towards us. I hung up the nozzle. As he kept getting closer I was moving between the pump and Jeep around towards the back so he couldnt see me, or my sidearm. As soon he was past my Jeep, probably 30 or 40 feet from the hood, I got in and got out of there quick! I dont know what happened after that, but I'm glad he didnt see me or come towards me.

Ugh I need a hot shower or something thanks for listening

Hi, curious where in "the county" that happened???

Carry24/7

I'm one of those who will stick around and help other people kind of guys too. But you really have to assess the situation before acting. I was leaving a Wal Mart once and I hear a commotion behind me and turned to see what was going on and saw three big people pushing and shoving each other. As I was assessing what was going on I realized it was a man and woman after another woman. This being an unfair match I took off my jacket and was just about to take the guy out of the equations when I noticed two other guys running up. Turns out the man and woman were trying to stop a shoplifter. They were not wearing anything to show they were store security and I was about to help out the criminal. I've done lost prevention before and we wore badges around our neck that we pulled out before stopping someone.

This gave me a good refresh lesson on situational awareness. Things may not be what they appear at first. Know what's going on before you make a move.