• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thought I was going to have to draw

jp49911

A lot to consider

As others have pointed out you have to consider that things may be different than they appear. Also, while I agree that an unarmed person can definitely be a threat to your life, I'm not so confident D.A.'s, juries and judges would feel. I'm pretty pessimistic given the common perception of guns in our society. The headline the next day would probably be:
Gunman Claims Self-Defense In Shooting Unarmed Man

It would probably be uphill from there. Even if we are making sound decisions based off of well thought out risk management assessment, you have to consider the criminal and civil ramifications. Of course the arrest, bail, loss of firearm, trial, legal fees and hassle of the criminal case would be a nightmare even if you were acquitted and got your weapon back (a year and a half later). You could be hit with a civil suit by his wife for taking their family's only means for income. You'd probably win that hands down but you still have the legal hassle and bill.

Point is, even if you would be justified to use lethal force based on risk assessment, unfortunately the law may not agree so I say ALWAYS avoid it unless it is ABSOLUTELY necessary. I like Dreamers suggestion of less than lethal tools as an option in such cases. Spray, taze, retreat do whatever you have to before shooting an unarmed person. I'd run down the street screaming help before I face a murder charge and put my self, wife and child in the situation of not having me for 20 years, if the person was unarmed.

CharlieOneFourDelta

Just my opinion, but

The days when I would maybe get a bruise or scratched knee in a school yard brawl are over.
I'm grown now and so if someone comes at me swinging, it's to do real physical damage. I'd consider it "serious bodily injury" as per the statute.

For me, popping the guy isn't worth the legal fees to be found not guilty if I can back away safely. Call me a wussy if you want, but for me killing someone is a last-resort kind of thing. When I take the witness stand I'll be able to honestly say "I had no other choice but to defend myself." "Why didn't you just run away?" - "Because the new castle doctrine says I don't have to." is just kind of cheesy and not very convincing to a jury.

Outdoorsman1

Another thought related specifically to this incident...

If you putting gasoline into your car, and decide to pull the trigger, if there is time or opportunity, I would get as far away as possible from the GAS pump or the GAS fumes comming out of the fill holw of your car...

Just sayin

Outdoorsman

WalkingWolf

Another thought related specifically to this incident...

If you putting gasoline into your car, and decide to pull the trigger, if there is time or opportunity, I would get as far away as possible from the GAS pump or the GAS fumes comming out of the fill holw of your car...

Just sayin

Outdoorsman

Good point! Outside that using deadly force should always be a last resort, even then anybody could find themselves on the wrong side of the law. Getting in the vehicle and leaving was the wisest decision. When carrying wither CC, OC, or even with a badge weapon retention and surroundings have to always be taken into account for personal safety.

Kind of reminds me of when I was in Fayetteville and had to pull into a fuel station because the rat I just purchased for my snake escaped and was biting my leg. I pulled in the station open the door and bailed cussing, with the rat coming out behind me. I chased and caught the rat while others watched in shock. As headed back to the car I said to the onlookers "whew I was afraid I wasn't going to get to eat tonight". Glad nobody shot me!