• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Letter to an anti-gun business.

Polynikes

Encountered a "No Firearms" sign while taking the kids to a Chuck E Cheese tonight (google seems to confirm that this is a company wide policy) and wrote the following letter to corporate as soon as I got home. Let me know what you think.

"On the evening of June 29th, my family visited your location in Colorado Springs on 5156 N. Academy Blvd. Our group consisted of me, my wife and our two young children. With us was my mother-in-law, who had offered to take us all out as a treat for the kids. Had it not been for her offer and my desire not to disappoint my children, I would not have given your business my patronage. Let me explain why. As I approached the doors to your business I was greeted by a large posted sign that read: "No Firearms, Violators will be treated as trespassers." My wife and I are both Concealed Carry Permit holders, meaning that we are verified law-abiding citizens. We have submitted fingerprints and passed extensive background checks as well as successfully completed firearms training and safety classes, meaning that we both know proper and safe weapons handling and all relevant state laws pertaining to the carry and use of firearms. We are clearly law-abiding citizens and have made the conscious decision to both protect our family and exercise our 2nd Amendment Constitutional rights.

By prohibiting all weapons, you have disarmed and made helpless anyone who enters your store—except for criminals, who won’t follow your policy anyway. In essence, you’ve made your store more dangerous for patrons who carry legally...and safer for criminals. If a true emergency situation were to arise, I would not be comfortable trusting the lives of my wife and children to the young people who comprise your staff.

Please consider changing your policy. You have chosen to ban firearms in your store and violate a Constitutional right belonging to the citizens of this country. I would assume that your policy is not to discriminate against customers based on religion or infringe upon their freedom of speech, so I am confused as to why your company has decided it is appropriate to deprive law-abiding citizens of the ability to protect themselves and their families. As such, my family and I have chosen to take our guns, and our money, to your competitors and spread the word about your corporate policies to the numerous groups we are members of, both in person and online, until such time as you choose to allow law-abiding armed citizens in your establishment."

M-Taliesin

Howdy Amigo!
Looks like a well written opinion to me.

Now I'm really glad that I've never spent a single dime at any of their locations.

They might be a bit brittle because of a shooting some years ago in Aurora or Denver. Don't recall the details, except it was a Chuckie Cheeze joint. Several people were shot by an armed assailant. Murdered. Guess they think posting their firearms policy will prevent a similar incident in the future. Instead, they're only making certain a criminal can feel comfortable victimizing their patrons without fear they'll shoot back!

Nice going on their part.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Orion

/sarcasm on

"But think about the children"

/sarcasm off

I look forward to seeing what type of response you get back. Doubtful that this one letter will change things, but depending on what they write back perhaps an organized letter writing campaign might show them the error of their ways!

Gunslinger

Howdy Amigo!
Looks like a well written opinion to me.

Now I'm really glad that I've never spent a single dime at any of their locations.

They might be a bit brittle because of a shooting some years ago in Aurora or Denver. Don't recall the details, except it was a Chuckie Cheeze joint. Several people were shot by an armed assailant. Murdered. Guess they think posting their firearms policy will prevent a similar incident in the future. Instead, they're only making certain a criminal can feel comfortable victimizing their patrons without fear they'll shoot back!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin
Banning law abiding citizens from exercising State and Federal rights will keep the bad guys out. Makes sense to me.
We need more gun free zones to help the killers set up their itineraries.

entartet17

They might be a bit brittle because of a shooting some years ago in Aurora or Denver. Don't recall the details, except it was a Chuckie Cheeze joint.

It was in Aurora (at the location I used to frequent as a kid). The guy who did it is Nathan Dunlap and he's currently sitting on death row.

fjpro2a

That was a really great letter sent to Chuck E Cheese. I am anxiously awaiting their reply. Make sure to keep all of us informed.

since9

Campaign Veteran
They might be a bit brittle because of a shooting some years ago in Aurora or Denver. Don't recall the details, except it was a Chuckie Cheeze joint. Several people were shot by an armed assailant. ... Guess they think posting their firearms policy will prevent a similar incident in the future. Instead, they're only making certain a criminal can feel comfortable victimizing their patrons without fear they'll shoot back!

Makes about as much sense as a submarine with a screen door, doesn't it? No more or less effective as a "No Firearms" sign is at keeping out armed criminals.

By the way, Polynikes, that was a good letter. :)

Last edited:

Polynikes

It's now July 5th. You should have heard from them last Friday; today at the very latest.

I finally got a reply from a Lisa McDaniel in their Risk Department. It was basically a blatant dismissal, "We appreciate your concerns but are within our rights to prohibit weapons on our premises" type of thing.

I'll post the actual email later tonight and my response to her, to see if can get any sort of discourse going. Anyone else interested in chiming in can reach her at lmcdaniel@cecentertainment.com

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Thanks for posting the contact info, I will also send a letter depending on her next response. She needs to offer you a logical reason. (there isn't one but she could at least try.)

Polynikes

To those that have been following this, I apologize for the delay in posting Chuck E. Cheese's response.

> Dear Mr. ******;
>
> We are in receipt of your email below and appreciate your concerns. Your email is being forwarded to the appropriate department for review. As you are aware, it is CEC Entertainment's right to prohibit the carrying of weapons, concealed or otherwise, onto their premises.
>
> We appreciate any and all input from our guests. If you have any further concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me. My contact information is below.
>

That was July 5th. Here's my response:

Dear Ms. McDaniel,

I appreciate the time that you have taken to respond thus far, and I certainly do not dispute the fact that it is indeed the right of your company to institute upon your own properties whatever policies you see fit. However, I would kindly request that you provide additional information as to what actual reasons CEC Entertainment may have for creating a significantly more dangerous environment for anyone who enters your establishments. Other than posting an anti-firearm sign at your door, could you please elaborate what steps your company has taken to ensure the safety of your guests. What procedures and safety protocols are in place to ensure that those who would use their weapons illegally (those who likely wouldn't give your sign the slightest attention) are stopped before they can bring harm to anyone on your premises? A quick search of your company on the internet coupled with the words "shooting" or "violence" would indicate to any reader that the policies you have in place to prohibit law-abiding citizens from protecting themselves have a clear history of not stopping those who have bad intentions.

Does your company expect law enforcement officers, or other government agents to disarm when entering your premises? I would assume not, so it is rather unfortunate that citizens who have undergone the same background checks, similar, or in many cases, more extensive training and are simply seeking to actively protect their loved ones are denied the right to do so when on your premises. Just as CEC Entertainment is within their rights to ban firearms, I'm sure you understand that citizens who object to those policies are well within their rights to voice their opinions and notify others of your practices. Please be aware that until such a time as CEC Entertainment considers allowing guests to ensure their own safety in a lawful manner, your company will be negatively reflected on numerous 2nd Amendment advocacy sites and will be actively listed among a collection of businesses that have similar policies, so that law-abiding gun owners can avoid contributing their money to those who do not support the Constitution of this country.

What do you think? Too much? :lol:

Cesar A

It is not enough!!!

The letters are great, especially the 2nd one... I agree with all your views and I still do not understand why bussinesses ban us citizens from carrying. I can understand a no display of weapons sign but CC definately not! When should put more pressure in the company and hopefully we can force them to review thier stance on this issue like Starbuck had to do. Until then I suggest we do our best to "black list" them.

Airborne!

M-Taliesin

Howdy Polynikes!
I think their position is a knee jerk reaction to a nasty shooting incident in Aurora area. Let us imagine, just for a minute, that their policy was in force before that incident took place. They had their nifty little "no firearms" sign posted clearly at the entrance. The killer arrives, sees the sign, and his intention to murder people appears thwarted? Unlikely, and illogical. He sees that sign and why should he worry about a trespassing rap when he's intending to kill people? Oh, a murder rap is one thing, but whoa... trespassing? Gimme a medium sausage to go please!

Or maybe the shooting incident in Torrence California would not have taken place if only the shooter had been forestalled by the "no firearms" sign on the door. What would be the killer's thinking: "Oh, nuts! I so wanted to shoot somebody, but that sign says I can't have a firearm around here. Guess I'm gonna hafta use a knife!" Really... does that sound like something anywhere near the realm of reality?

Tell ya what, amigo! It is well that you wrote to them because you presented your inquiry in a respectful and reasaonable manner. I don't think I'd have been anywhere near so tactful as you were. I'd have given them a huge chunk of my mind (assuming I cared anything whatsoever for Chuck E. Cheese!) but would have been much more direct and perhaps confrontational. You, amigo, done good! Round of applause for the gentleman please!

I personally believe the Chuck E. Cheese organization is a communist plot to indoctrinate kids at a young and impressionable age to be mice.
The old question "Are you a man or a mouse?". Why is Chuck E Cheese logo a mouse? See the connection? They want kids to grow up trained to be mice so they'll be unable to fight back against the rats! Their motives are suspect, and their focus on young kids disturbing.

Just my humble opinion. I won't go near their establishments, and I routinely discourage others from doing so either.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

mahkagari

A quick search of your company on the internet coupled with the words "shooting" or "violence" would indicate to any reader that the policies you have in place to prohibit law-abiding citizens from protecting themselves have a clear history of not stopping those who have bad intentions.

Nice touch.

M-Taliesin said:
Or maybe the shooting incident in Torrence California would not have taken place if only the shooter had been forestalled by the "no firearms" sign on the door. What would be the killer's thinking: "Oh, nuts! I so wanted to shoot somebody, but that sign says I can't have a firearm around here. Guess I'm gonna hafta use a knife!" Really... does that sound like something anywhere near the realm of reality?

I think the unfortunate reality is that the sign and policy are more a CYA. Picture the aftermath of a shooting as their internal legal team gets ready for wrongful death suits muttering "Please, please, please, tell me that the store put up the 'No Firearms' sticker". It gives them the plausible deniability of saying, "Well, we said, 'no guns'. It ain't our fault if they didn't listen." The prosecution would have a field day with "You didn't even do the MINIMUM deterrent." (Whereas if it were my store my "deterrent" would be 2-for-1 Cokes for all LACs.)

Similarly, I think a lot of businesses banning OC are much more about $$ than their customers' "safety". The odds that sheeple will take their business elsewhere is greater than either OCers or the chance of preventable violence.

M-Taliesin

(Whereas if it were my store my "deterrent" would be 2-for-1 Cokes for all LACs.)

Howdy Mahkagari!
I like your style. That'd be the place I'd take the halflings!

Similarly, I think a lot of businesses banning OC are much more about $$ than their customers' "safety". The odds that sheeple will take their business elsewhere is greater than either OCers or the chance of preventable violence.

Aw, screw it. Break down and take the little ruggers to Casa Bonita!
Oh wait... what's their policy?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin