• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GRPD: More guns found on city streets

shox rox ice

A news clip from Wood TV 8, a typical media hack job. They're essentially claiming all people with guns are a problem and urging people to call the police after this 'Man with a gun' call results in confiscations.

"Part of the reason they have been able to get more of those guns off the streets is because people have been calling in to them and letting them know when they see someone who might have a gun. Another thing to note is now on Silent Observer, there is a special $250 reward if callers call in saying that someone has a gun if it leads to an arrest of someone with an illegal gun that person could get as much as $250.... and as always, police say if you do see someone with a gun or see someone who MIGHT have a gun to give either them a call or to call Silent Observer so they can get as many guns off the streets as possible."

I can see that going over like a pregnant pole vaulter. Incentivizing paranoia. fantastic.

It sounds like Dani Carlson needs to put some correct information out there: dani.carlson@woodtv.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BP05KTfzzI

scot623

Who the hell are the lawyers out there in GR?? How can they let a program promoting illegal search and seizures be advertised and implemented??

We might have to have a "walk the city" event to show just how stupid, ineffective and illegal this program is.

Last edited:

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
i posted this on my facebook page back in May

I recently saw this picture (click link below) on someones facebook profile and it got me thinking.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.ne...0279101371393_502736392_9231037_3813178_n.jpg
How can the average person on the street identify an illegal gun? So like a good little citizen I made an anonymous tip to crime stoppers telling them that I see a lot of guns every day. I asked them if they gave a reward for all guns or just illegal ones. Here is our conversation. I am looking for good ideas for follow up questions or comments.
them:
"Rewards are given for illegal guns not legal ones."
me:
"How do i figure out which ones are legal? Do I just go up and ask the people? Do I call your tip line every time I see one? Without access to gun serial numbers and registration database, how do I know which ones are illegal?"
them:
"Thank you for inquiring about this program but I have no way of letting you know if a weapon is legal or illegal. Please do not walk up to someone and ask if their weapon is legal. If you believe that a weapon is illegal please call in a tip and we can send it out for investigation."