• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lake Express Ferry

pkbites

My wife and I will be going to Michigan over Labor Day via the Lake Express ferry. While they say that vehicles are subject to search, they don't say if having a firearm stored in your vehicle is okay.

I've been trying to call them for 2 weeks now and nobody answers their @#$%ing phone!:mad:

Does anyone here have any experience with this company?

BROKENSPROKET

My guess.

Encased. Unloaded. Locked. In the truck. No drugs, bootleg moonshine, underage prostitutes and you should be fine.

Now, if Michigan accepted out of state permits/license things would be different, except for the drugs, bootleg moonshine and underage prositutes.

Transportation of firearms is legal in all states, its just the exact manner that in which one does that may be crucial.

Sorry if this does not help, and I'm sure it doesn't.

IcrewUH60

My guess.

Encased. Unloaded. Locked. In the truck. No drugs, bootleg moonshine, underage prostitutes and you should be fine.

Now, if Michigan accepted out of state permits/license things would be different, except for the drugs, bootleg moonshine and underage prositutes.

Transportation of firearms is legal in all states, its just the exact manner that in which one does that may be crucial.

Sorry if this does not help, and I'm sure it doesn't.

prostitutes "of age" and you should be fine. I am not a lawyer.

from http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-526664.html :

LakeExpressFerry
June 9, 2010, 12:45 PM
Hello - This thread bounced around a bit in Google, came out as a news alert and made it's way to the Lake Express office. I'm writing here to provide a quick reply and clarification from Lake Express regarding our firearms policy. Without exception, you must declare firearms prior to boarding the vessel. Additional information follows, including our contact number for any questions regarding specific terms and conditions of carriage. I hope this helps - AS.

The M/V LAKE EXPRESS is a federally documented passenger vessel (documented by the U. S. Coast Guard) and is subject federal law, including 18 USC 2277 which has been appropriately sited in this thread. Additionally, we are a privately owned company and may therefore prescribe the “Terms and Conditions of Carriage” that we feel are appropriate to our operation.

We make every effort to accommodate our passengers and have several options for our customers who wish to transport fire arms and ammunitions. We have several additional options for uniformed and plain clothes law enforcement officers.

Information regarding carriage of fire arms and ammunition can be obtained by contacting our Customer Service Call Center at 866-914-1010.

Our website, www.lake-express.com includes fare information, a schedule of daily roundtrips between Milwaukee, WI and Muskegon, MI and information on special seasonal promotions.

Lake Express is currently in its 7th season of operation on Lake Michigan, is a green-certified business and enjoys the distinction of being the first high speed auto and passenger ferry to enter service in the United States. The Lake Michigan crossing takes just 2-1/2 hours vs. 5 hours or more on a comparable trip around the southern end of Lake Michigan through Chicago.

have fun

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
....While they say that vehicles are subject to search, they don't say if having a firearm stored in your vehicle is okay....
Maybe they mean that a light-fingered crew member is going to look through your vehicle for stuff to steal.... I'd lock everything up tight and tell 'em to shove their search where the lake don't splash....

pkbites

Hurray! After over 2 weeks of trying I finally got a live person on the phone! :)

The answer is the weapon has to be unloaded, locked in a case, ammo separate from the weapon, kept in my vehicle.
I have to declare the weapon when we board the ferry.

Pretty similar to the procedure when flying with firearms in checked baggage.

pkbites

Driving around seems the better option. :cuss:

How so? Do you drive everywhere you go instead of flying? You must waste an awful lot of your vacation time in your car. The ferry rules are the same as flying. The ferry get's me to where I'm going 5 hours faster than driving, and with the price of gas the fare is a wash.
I'm not going to waste 5 hours in my car when I could already be at my destination.

Last edited:

oak1971

How so? Do you drive everywhere you go instead of flying? You must waste an awful lot of your vacation time in your car. The ferry rules are the same as flying. The ferry get's me to where I'm going 5 hours faster than driving, and with the price of gas the fare is a wash.
I'm not going to waste 5 hours in my car when I could already be at my destination.

Yes I do drive everywhere. Best way to see the USA.

Passive101

I've always wanted to take that ferry. Do we have any word yet if MI will accept WI permits by any chance?

MKEgal

oak1971 said:
Driving around seems the better option.
I did that 2 years ago... 01/02 JUL... on a motorcycle... around Lake Michigan...
Slightly over 1000 miles in about 19 hours. (I took lots of rest breaks.)
Here's our certificate.

To be more on topic, wonder why it has to be declared?
Are they going to put a special guard on the car?
And what happens if it's just in its locked case in your locked luggage?

Last edited:

oak1971

I've probably seen more of it than you have. And I've already taken the highway from Wisconsin to Michigan. Taking that drive again is boring and a waste of my time. Especially going through Sickago. No thanks.

My last vacation covered 6,000 miles and more states than you can likely count. I managed to do so without having to submit to searches like unto some former Soviet republics. Take the ferry all you wish, but don't expect everyone to agree how wonderful it is. There are more opinions than yours.