• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Racine Co Sheriff "Gets it"!

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Glad and sad....

http://www.wrn.com/2011/06/racine-co-sheriff-downplays-impact-of-concealed-carry/
"Schmaling says his deputies, and most law enforcement, already train to handle every encounter as if a weapon could be involved. As a result, he believes there will be little change in how his officers deal with calls"

Now that's one LEO that has confidence in his Deputies!
Isn't the general state of affairs in Wisconsin pretty sad when we feel the need to compliment a law enforcement professional for acting in a professional manner...? I'm hoping and praying that most of our Chiefs of Police and Sheriffs actually "get it" but haven't been reported on because it isn't the kind of news that gets printed these days.... :cuss:

protias

Wolf1477

Isn't the general state of affairs in Wisconsin pretty sad when we feel the need to compliment a law enforcement professional for acting in a professional manner...? I'm hoping and praying that most of our Chiefs of Police and Sheriffs actually "get it" but haven't been reported on because it isn't the kind of news that gets printed these days.... :cuss:

Yes it is, most definitely not arguing with you. I also agree there are more than likely a large percentage of forces out there who do "get it" without raising their hand for the world to see.

However, until *all* of our forces voluntarily choose to act in a professional and legal manner without being whacked on the nose by a newspaper (lawsuit) and told to "Sit! Stay!" I really think we *should* make sure those that do the right thing the first time for the right reasons should be rewarded with an "Attaboy".

At the least, it tells them they're doing their job right. I routinely send thank you notes to Dr.s who do their job well and letters of commendation to their superiors. One of my surgeons got a raise at his evaluation (partly) because of my letter to the hospital board. I've received quite a few thank you notes over the years from Drs thanking me for taking the time to tell them they did good.

I don't think I've ever met anyone who doesn't like to hear a "Hey, ya done good today" at least once in a while.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
The Brown County Sheriffs Dept gets it, I was watching an interview on the news a Month ago, they interviewed a higher ranking BCSD deputy he was all for CCW. But Eric Dunn the Chief of the Ashwaubenon Public Safety dept is against CCW he said that during the same TV news interview .... He is one of them cops that thinks only Cops should carry weapons..

DangerClose

The Brown County Sheriffs Dept gets it, I was watching an interview on the news a Month ago, they interviewed a higher ranking BCSD deputy he was all for CCW. But Eric Dunn the Chief of the Ashwaubenon Public Safety dept is against CCW he said that during the same TV news interview .... He is one of them cops that thinks only Cops should carry weapons..

Yep, I saw that interview, too. I was going to email the sheriff deputy guy a thumbs-up, but then I must have deleted the newscast. In the brief segment, he hit most of the major points such as criminals don't follow laws, that areas with CC are safer, etc.

And then the Green Bay guy gets on there and pretty much says the opposite. "Some people say studies show CC areas are safer, but that doesn't mean we should do it," or whatever. I double-checked the screen to see if he was from Milwaukee or something.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
Yep, I saw that interview, too. I was going to email the sheriff deputy guy a thumbs-up, but then I must have deleted the newscast. In the brief segment, he hit most of the major points such as criminals don't follow laws, that areas with CC are safer, etc.

And then the Green Bay guy gets on there and pretty much says the opposite. "Some people say studies show CC areas are safer, but that doesn't mean we should do it," or whatever. I double-checked the screen to see if he was from Milwaukee or something.

APS Chief Dunning is a REAL buzz kill. I mean he just has a BIG head...

oak1971

http://www.wrn.com/2011/06/racine-co-sheriff-downplays-impact-of-concealed-carry/
"Schmaling says his deputies, and most law enforcement, already train to handle every encounter as if a weapon could be involved. As a result, he believes there will be little change in how his officers deal with calls"

Now that's one LEO that has confidence in his Deputies!

That is the way they train at the police academy here in Kenosha. Many of the instructors also taught in my Criminal Justice program and they all echoed Schmaling's statement. To do otherwise is putting the officer in a position of disadvantage.

Mlutz

I was thrown back a bit when people at the hearing claimed police officers jobs would be more dangerous. They "wouldn't know who had a gun" I'm glad someone got it right...

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
I was thrown back a bit when people at the hearing claimed police officers jobs would be more dangerous. They "wouldn't know who had a gun" I'm glad someone got it right...
Just some fear-mongering to create an issue where there was none.... When they have no ground to stand on, they lie. It seems to come very easily to them. :cuss:

springfield 1911

Founder's Club Member
Last edited: