• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

how many people have there guns cocked?

Badger Johnson

How do you cock a Springfield 3.8, 9mm? I think you may be talking about 1911s or revolvers.

Do you have a round ready to advance in your Revolver, if any?

Almost everyone carries hot, and the 1911 is designed to be carried cocked and locked.

VW_Factor

While I will never tell anyone that they MUST carry with a round chambered, it does leave a disadvantage when carrying.

Carry however you are comfortable. In time, your feelings will calm and it will be second nature to carry a properly maintained weapon with a round chambered.

Outdoorsman1

I always carry FULLY loaded...

XD-40 W/ 12 round Mag. ... 12+1 = 13....
or
Glock 27 W/ 9 Round Mag. ... 9+1= 10....

Outdoorsman1

ADulay

A bit of a strange question for sure (assuming I understood it correctly) but in the semi-autos that I carry, it's always loaded, safety on. Only one of them has the ability to actually "cock" the hammer back manually.

The safety comes off during the draw and the first shot is DA. The rest are SA.

Hope this helps.

AD

Phoenix David

I carry all my pistols with a round in the chamber all they need is the trigger activation.

I would not purchase a semi-auto pistol if it had a manual safety, with the exception of a 1911 platform, in my experience and training I have found a manual safety to add no value to the semi-auto pistol platform.

The number one safety device is my brain. Number two safety device is my finger.

N605TW

Activist Member
I carry my sidearm with a round chambered. Should the need arise all that has to happen is draw, aim and fire. Safety is a condition not a switch on a gun.

WCrawford

When you get you big boy pants and are capable of carying a Glock (or similar "safetyless" firearm") you will learn that your real safety is keeping your booger picker off the bang switch.

:p

BTW, how do you cock Tupperware?

Last edited:

Gunslinger

1911s and Browning Hi-Powers are meant to be carried cocked and locked. Those are my usual carry. When I carry my Bersa, SA/DA 9mm, the hammer is down--decocked, but a round in the chamber can be fired DA. Same with my 24/7 OSS. Revolvers should NEVER be carried cocked.