Thread: This mysterious voice recorder - laws in VA

This mysterious voice recorder - laws in VA

So I' m new to carry overall, and I'm in VA. Whats with everyone carrying voice recorders? What are the legalities?

I'm curious because of the event in the news where the woman was recording a arrest from private property and was told to stop, she didn't and was arrested (and cleared) I'm curious if you were told to stop recording by a cop who didn't want to play nice, how that could go down.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    As long as you're a party to or have the permission of a party to the conversation, it's legal in Va.
    This is a one party consent state.

Carry a recorder and let it record everything constantly. You don't want to be fumbling to record a LEO or whatever situation may arise. If someone starts talking to you, you're a party so recording is A-OK!
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

What's with voice recorders? They eliminate the he said/she said-edness of things - whether it be an encounter with the local enforcer of the laws or your mother-in-law. The strategic employment of the recorded material may keep you out of the doghouse by proving what and how they said things. Also, as more and more of them (cops and mothers-in-law) become aware of your/our habit of running the things there might be a tendency to not do stuff that could cause embarassment when the recording is played back.

There are enough models that are shirt-pocket size or even smaller that have run times in excess of 24 hours on fresh batteries (bows to the gods of rechargable lithium ion AAA cells) and also provide excellent pick-up even when recording through your shirt.

Which reminds me - from experience: if your recorder has a good microphone and you are wearing it on a lanyard, make sure the mike is either above or below your heart unless you want to hear a constant thumping in the background.

stay safe.

What kind of recorder do you use? And where do you put it when you're wearing t-shirts (no pockets) in the summer?

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by drdan01 View Post
    What kind of recorder do you use? And where do you put it when you're wearing t-shirts (no pockets) in the summer?
    http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-VN-810...9525982&sr=8-3

I hang mine on a chain around my neck under my shirt. When the gun goes on (OC), so does the recorder ON RECORD.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Olympus 6200-PC (now discontinued) on a lanyard under the shirt and turned on when I step outside (which of course means I am armed). Often goes around my neck while I am inside the house if stuff happening outside sounds "sporty" (yes, others say the neighborhood I live in is "not the best").

Backup is a Sony ICD-B600 (also discontinued) on a separate lanyard. It is bulkier so most often stays outside the shirt. Also a good way to let them grab one while not showing the other. (One is none and two is one applies to many things. ;>) ). This one also has a strip of material glued to the back of the battery door to make it friction-fit into a double-stack mag holder when I do not want it around my neck. If in the mag holder it goes where my mags are not so I do not try, under stress, to load it.

stay safe.

Is this the same Olympus 6200PC that you're talking about?
    http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Digita.../dp/B002DSHMA8

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Olympus 6200-PC (now discontinued) on a lanyard under the shirt and turned on when I step outside (which of course means I am armed). Often goes around my neck while I am inside the house if stuff happening outside sounds "sporty" (yes, others say the neighborhood I live in is "not the best").

Backup is a Sony ICD-B600 (also discontinued) on a separate lanyard. It is bulkier so most often stays outside the shirt. Also a good way to let them grab one while not showing the other. (One is none and two is one applies to many things. ;>) ). This one also has a strip of material glued to the back of the battery door to make it friction-fit into a double-stack mag holder when I do not want it around my neck. If in the mag holder it goes where my mags are not so I do not try, under stress, to load it.

stay safe.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    This is one of the audio recorders I use
    Rough clip from the Surry Side, (Missing Motion Chapter)

Last edited by peter nap; 07-01-2011 at 02:07 PM.

Good information. What kind of battery life are people getting?

*takes out recorder and looks at it* Yep! Sure looks like it.

stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Blk97F150 View Post
    Good information. What kind of battery life are people getting?
    I'm getting at least two days of being out & about, recording about 10 hours a day of the 70+ the LCD screen says I have available when I start with freshly recharged batteries and zero recordings. At the end of the day if there is nothing to save it all gets erased.

I keep a pair of spares in my pocket or carry-all for each recorder in case I get a low-battery signal. Inexpensive Nickle-Metal hydride 700 Ma rechargables that take about 2 hours to recharge and which get reconditioned/refreshed about every 3 months.

stay safe.

Two days? Wow that seems pretty good. I was thinking that it would only be a couple hours.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post

I just don't think I could carry her around very long...
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

excerpt By Marko Kloos (http://munchkinwrangler.wordpress.com/?s=major+caudill)

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post

Isn't that the young lady from Blair Witch Project? I swear that voice is familiar
    The problem with the internet is nobody can really tell when you’re serious and when you’re being sarcastic. –Abraham Lincoln