• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Multiple handgun - ATF report

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
So I recently ordered a 1911 on gun broker. I received the wrong gun when it got to my local FFL. They refused to ship it back so I did the transfer and sent the gun back to the seller. I bought the 1911 I wanted on buds. I had it sent to the same FFL (easier since they were on file). I transferred the wrong gun to be sent back on a saturday and received my 1911 I wanted today (the following thursday). When I bought it something popped up on the screen at the dealer that said CUSTOMER HAS PURCHASED HANDGUN IN THE PAST 5 DAYS, CONTINUE WITH PURCHASE?

They said they had to report my multiple purchases to the ATF. So now what? Am I on some black list for life now? I didn't really BUY 2 handguns, I got the wrong one and sent it back. Am I expecting to hear from the ATF now over this?

j4l

So?
If they/anyone contact you or ask about it, turn it around on em and say "AND??"...

What if you bought 3 cars in a week? or 2 houses? Tell em to stick it someplace tight and dark..

KansasMustang

So?
If they/anyone contact you or ask about it, turn it around on em and say "AND??"...

What if you bought 3 cars in a week? or 2 houses? Tell em to stick it someplace tight and dark..

Hahaha I absolutely agree !!!! here we go boys and girls,,what's the boyscout motto?

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Stop buying guns through the system?

I buy exclusively from private sellers. People need the money, too. I'm one of them... :p

Wetworx

So I recently ordered a 1911 on gun broker. I received the wrong gun when it got to my local FFL. They refused to ship it back so I did the transfer and sent the gun back to the seller. I bought the 1911 I wanted on buds. I had it sent to the same FFL (easier since they were on file). I transferred the wrong gun to be sent back on a saturday and received my 1911 I wanted today (the following thursday). When I bought it something popped up on the screen at the dealer that said CUSTOMER HAS PURCHASED HANDGUN IN THE PAST 5 DAYS, CONTINUE WITH PURCHASE?

They said they had to report my multiple purchases to the ATF. So now what? Am I on some black list for life now? I didn't really BUY 2 handguns, I got the wrong one and sent it back. Am I expecting to hear from the ATF now over this?

As sucky as it is, it's not that you're blacklisted. It's merely a reporting technique from ATF that requires an FFL to send a seperate form to ATF in the event that you are purchasing multiple firearms within a period of time. There's no federal legal limit for you to follow, but the FFL might have to file the additional paperwork. I would venture to guess this warning was more of a reminder for the FFL and has no bearing directly on your purchase.

okboomer

And, ATF is not supposed to keep transaction records past a certain amount of time ... it has been mentioned here numerous times, but I am sure it is a simple google search.

Whether the BATFE is actually following the law is a matter for a different forum :cool: