• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Newbie to the Gun World here

sudden valley gunner

Welcome to the forum Gaary. Hang around you'll learn alot. You'll also have to have a bit of thick skin.

I suggest that if you don't have family that will be of help to you in your interest in your natural right to be armed that you make friends here. There are monthly meets in your area I believe, I would go to them, it would go a long way to helping you be accepted by others in the community and a great way to learn about firearms and different views of gun owners.

There are folks who will sell to those under 21, but most people want to make sure you are someone they can trust (whether you are 21 or not). I personally don't believe 21 as a magic age of maturity where you suddenly become a responsible person.

Look up green is faster, he went through some similar negative comments and pushed past them to become a respected member of this forum/community at the age of 18. He is also working on State legislation to lower the CPL age.

Again welcome aboard, keep an open mind and don't let the negative old folks turn you away from the great information and folks on this board.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
You learn firearm safety, at your age from the gun owners in your life. I would start with those around you to learn. Then I would start with an inexpensive home defense shotgun. You can pick one up for around $300. They are much more effective for home defense. You can purchase one and the ammo for it yourself at 18.

I'll write more when I get home tonight. I have an 18yo daughter who just received her first handgun.

You need to start with someone close to you, someone who cares, someone who will teach and someone to encourage your curiosity of firearms. Those things will not come to a 17yo from strangers on the internet. However, I agree with SVG, come to one of our meets and listen, observe and interact with this group.

To my own experiences. Having owned firearms since I was a boy, having carried a handgun since I was 21. And now having bought my 18yo daughter her first handgun for her graduation a couple of weeks ago.

My daughters were taught handgun/firearm safety since the age of 6 months! Yes, that is correct. From 6 months until they were about 6 or 7 years old they were taught to STOP, NOT TOUCH, go tell an adult. And they did. At about 7 or so they were allowed to touch them in my presence. They were show how to handle them properly and they watched me clean all of my guns at the kitchen counter. At about 10-12 they began to take an occasional trip to the range and allowed to shoot a .22 with supervision. At about 14 or so they were taught how to break down and manipulate different kinds of handguns in a safe manner. They continue to shoot and can handle and break down any of my handguns. (Mostly Sig's)

My oldest daughter turned 18 last November and graduated high school in June. She will be attending college at Montana State University. She will also be staying in Montana and getting her residency. She will be able to CC when she becomes a resident in 6 months (thus exempting her from the GFSZ and some city ordinances). She will be able to OC/CC now in Montana outside of the city/town limits. She wrote several papers on OC and firearms in high school (received A's on all of them) and is proficient in her abilities.

What I hope you take from this short story is that her maturity level around firearms took along time, it was never rushed. Her training and familiarity came from her family. You should be seeking the same. You start with what we have suggested. For home defense an inexpensive shotgun. Heck my HD shotgun is a Chinese made "Hawk" that I purchased for under $200. If you want a plinking gun then buy a Ruger 10-22. Take your time, learn, read, listen. Wear a thick skin on this forum, the guys on here will always tell you the truth. It may be hard to take the truth and they won't sugar coat it but the guys in the OCDO movement are the smartest gun owners in the country.

amlevin

Maybe I am just mean and distrustful. I would never sell you a gun. I do not believe IMHO that an 18yo is responsible enough to own a handgun. I know this because I was 18 once.

This sentiment seems to be supported by Science:

http://newsinhealth.nih.gov/2005/September2005/docs/01features_02.htm

Giedd, who studies brain development at NIH’s National Institute of Mental Health, explained that scientists have only recently learned more about the path of brain growth. One important finding, he said, showed that the frontal cortex area—]which governs judgment, decision-making and impulse control—doesn’t fully mature until around age 25

It isn't necessarily the case that that an 18 year old is stupid, or incapable, it's often the inability to make proper choices or control impulse that makes this age somewhat dangerous.

I too was 18 and remember some "impulses" I didn't control. Wish I could go back to that age with the knowledge and experience I now have.

hermannr

Come on guys, a lot of us were being shot at in Vietnam when we 18. I know when I was younger than 18 I had all the guns I needed.

My friends and I would go out to the desert and shoot rattlesnakes and sell the rattles to the tourist traps for 25 cents. We went hunting and went to the range, and never got in trouble or did anything stupid (maybe a few speeding tickets is all). The only required "training" then was a "hunters safety" class so you could purchase your first hunting license. You didn't need anything to go to a gun store, or even a hardware store and buy whatever you wanted.

There was no GCA of 1968 back then, and all the attitudes I hear now, never existed. There were, and there still are, responsible young people, and irresponsible adults. Give the kid a break will you.

I saw a High Standard on GunBroker the other day that would be a perfect learning tool. It was a revolver with a short/long/LR cylinder, and a second 22 mag cylinder. With box and manuals for $300...perfect little weapon to learn with. (and shoot rattlesnakes with).

It is unfortunate our Gaarry does not have support from home. I cannot even concieve of growing up that way??? So, I go back to my original statement, get with some people that are more into firearms and shooting, show you are a responsible young person, and learn safety. May I suggest you take a hunters safety course? even if you have no way to go hunting.

When I took my hunters safety course I got to shoot a shotgun (compliments of the instructor) that I still cannot afford, and I am retired now. We were required to shoot a round of trap, and the one thing I did not have at the time was a shotgun. 2 rifles and a pistol, but no shotgun. Still don't have any interest in shooting birds (execpt grouse), but I do have a shotgun now.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
hermannr I feel the same way as to the sentiment and I would do this for one of my kids, grandchildren or someone close to me but not for someone I have not clue about.

An issue that is often over looked and many times are brought up in these discussion of 18 year old and the military is brought into it, many who I enlisted with in the early 70's were no where near responsible enough to do this on their own and very close supervision was applied through the military and still some that even crossed the line of lawful acts right from basic training in a run back from the range one soldier attacked another with an M-16, thankfully it was empty but still did a lot of damage. Point is, it does happen.

hermannr

Big Dave, I did not mean if Gaarry was to come over here to the highlands I would just sell him one of my weapons, (I always buy, just haven't ever sold any yet). Yes, I too would want to know one of my guns was going to a good home.

I am more commenting on the attitude. No matter what the politicos want us to believe, at 21 a person does not automatically change into a responsible person. I know a lot of young (under 21) people that I would trust with my rifles and pistols, and I know just as many adults (over 21) that I would not loan ammo to at the range.

One year some friends decided to go hunting together. One of the guys invited his brother (who no-one else knew). When this friends "brother" started drinking, my best friend, and our wives (our wives are our normal hunting partners) and I, packed up and left that group and went off by ourselves. We all have a beer now and then, but not when we are hunting. Just because you turn 21 does not mean you automatically turn responsible.

dadada

I have a father, who does not own a gun, an uncle in another country, and no grandfather's to speak of. I do however have a next door neighbor with plenty and my cousin also has a couple.

A rifle is a good plinker, but not something I would want to keep out in the open, a shotgun, the same. A handgun, I can keep in my drawer next to my head. I also like handguns, and the fact that you can get one for ~700$. Instead of 1700$ for a Colt AR-15.

I do not believe Gaarry is 17-18, or from this country. The fact that he knows who Ted Bundy is, is one give away. Ted hasn't been in pop culture for a couple of decades. Gaarrys diction and sentence structure is too refined, and his language isn't in the same vernacular of a teenager. I've got a smart teenager, and trust me, when I asked her who Ted bundy was, she had no clue. She's an honors student and an intelligent person. And using the word Cooties? Come on, that isn't used by anyone under 40. It wouldn't even be considered as ironic by anyone born in the last 3 decades.

Also, what teenager puts the dollar sign after the price??? Gaary's European maybe? It's possible, but not probable, that he is what he says he is. My guess is someone trolling for something.

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Dadada
I concur with your assessment and have thought the sme from post one. I have been trying to get him to write more. We will see, I live in Federal Way and I am open to meet in public and restate what I have said.

hermannr

dadada, I grew up in another county, and graduated from highschool in another country, and got my US citizenship via the military after serving two tours in Vietnam. I have no problem if Gaarry is natural born US, or not. If English is not his first language, and he is 17 going on 18, I'll bet he is either Swedish or German, I have no problem with that either, as that is what I am. Also, I am not saying he is not in the US at the present time. I went back and forth between the US/Canada and Germany many times before I got married and finally stayed in the US. One of our daughters was born in Germany. All my uncles are deceased, but I have cousins in all three, Canada, Germany and Sweden.

Even though I am retired I still pronounce the last letter in the alphabet "zed" which is how I learned it originally, colour and a few other things...that does not mean I have not been a US citizen for over 41 years. (yes, I am well over 60)

BTW: I have no idea what "cooties" is/are.

May I add, Gaarry, if, infact you are a green card, or student, here in the US there are a couple other hoops you need to jump through. Read RCW 9.41 very carefully. It is not that you can't have firearms, it is just a different permit.

Last edited:

The Patriot

I concur with the others. Please have a thick skin. And do come to the meets. They are alot of fun and you get to meet alot of awesome peeps. I went to my first one last year here in Vancouver and it was great. I brought my family and again I say I met some awesome people.

I am with GoGo, my son is learning about guns right now and my daughter (19mo) is being taught as well. It will take some time and time is what you have. Live, Learn and Grow.

Patriot

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Yes you missed something !

I missed something somewhere... who suggested tucking a gun under a pillow?

I know that most people won't sell to someone under 21, or without a CCW. Why? If, from my demeanor and conversation you can infer that I will NOT do anything illegal with the firearm, other than fire it at the range and keep it under the pillow, what would be a good reason not to sell?

Px4er

LOL. It's pretty entertaining reading how I am not a US citizen, nor 17. I am 17, thought I am Asian, I was born here in 93. As for Ted Bundy, its amazing what someone can do with a simple google sear search now eh?

How can you guys determine what age I am simply from my writing? My ethnicticy? Thats rediculous. I'm going to be a senoir at Federal Way High School, taking advanced classes. I'll meet up with whoever, because I'm just getting bashed on. So what that I can write well, doesnt mean I'm a reporter "fishing for a story."

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
LOL. It's pretty entertaining reading how I am not a US citizen, nor 17. I am 17, thought I am Asian, I was born here in 93. As for Ted Bundy, its amazing what someone can do with a simple google sear search now eh?

How can you guys determine what age I am simply from my writing? My ethnicticy? Thats rediculous. I'm going to be a senoir at Federal Way High School, taking advanced classes. I'll meet up with whoever, because I'm just getting bashed on. So what that I can write well, doesnt mean I'm a reporter "fishing for a story."

So far you have been given lot's of great advice. My suggestion is that you read it, comprehend the advice and learn. Learning and understanding take time and because you don't have a sympathetic father then you are getting started much later than others. Be patient.

Px4er

I'm not disregarding the advice given. I have read all of it and appreciate the help. It just seems that I'm just getting ganged up on because I wanted to find out some information. If this is how you treat all teenagers, well, then OC isnt getting a thumbs up from me. (I know some of you help)

Trigger Dr

gaarry,
You will find, on this forum, some of us are polite to a fault, some are knowledgeable, some think they are knowledgeable, some are highyl opinionated thinking their opinion is the only one valid. Some are there simply to stir up dissent. Most are here to further the acceptance of our rights, particularly those concerning firearms. It is difficult to discern who is who with the computer. After a short time reading and posting you will come to understand who fits in each of the categories.
Welcome aboard and develop a thick skin. We are pasionate about OC and can get a bit testy.

amlevin

One thing to learn early in life is that you won't always hear what you want to hear. Don't take everything you hear or read as an attack. It's merely people expressing their opinions based on what they read as posted on this forum. The disadvantage to a Forum is that people don't get the same feeling from what's written as they might from an in-person encounter. In order to survive in the adult world a fairly thick skin often comes in handy. Just remember that this won't be the last time in you life that you may get a little "chafe" from others words, both in a Forum or for that matter in person. It's life, and when it comes to some here, you're just starting out. I got the same when I was your age and that was over 50 years ago. You too will survive.

Last edited:

The Patriot

This is what I was talking about. "I'll meet up with whoever, because I'm just getting bashed on." (My Quote: "I was 18 once")

Many people have given some good sound advice. I will never claim to be 100% correct...all the time LOL! J/K.

Your response to what we are trying to discern about you is my point exactly. We have all said have patience and learn and grow, and your time will come. That response you gave is from someone who does not have any patience. The point all of us are trying to make is that owning a firearm, not just a pistol is a huge responsibility. It is one that we take very serious and with great passion. So please do not disregard OC because we are not giving in to what you want.

By signing up and posting in this forum or any forum for that matter you authorize others to scutinize and discern and theorize who you are and what you are about. Just remember to have a thick skin. I hope you keep visiting and do go to some of the meets up in your area. You can learn alot from the people here...I have.

Thank You,

Patriot