• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Newbie to the Gun World here

Px4er

Hi all,

I was just wondering what you guys' thoughts are on 18 year olds having handguns.

I am 17, and will be turning 18 in a few months. I'm just trying to find out information so I can also enjoy the liberties enjoyed by others.

I know that most people won't sell to someone under 21, or without a CCW. Why? If, from my demeanor and conversation you can infer that I will NOT do anything illegal with the firearm, other than fire it at the range and keep it under the pillow, what would be a good reason not to sell?

I am really looking forward towards my 18th birthday, and if I find out that no one will sell me a handgun, well, someone's going to be bummed. A rifle is too big, so is a shotgun.

So, what are your views on under 21 handgun sales/possesion. I would gladly offer my WADL#, fill out a bill of sale, do a FTF in a nonshady parking lot, and whatever else necessary to satisfy both the buyer and seller. I do see the reservation many sellers have with selling to under 21, but I can tell you, that some of us are more mature than others.

Thanks for any input you guys can provide.

Again, sorry it's not really a Open Carry question, but since this is the WA forum, I want to see what my neighbors think. Thanks

dadada

Demeaner and conversation mean little. Ted Bundy had a pleasing demeaner and was a great conversationalist. I'm for the constitution and law.

Also, you write more like you're 37 than 17. Are you a reporter fishing for a story?

Px4er

Demeaner and conversation mean little. Ted Bundy had a pleasing demeaner and was a great conversationalist. I'm for the constitution and law.

Also, you write more like you're 37 than 17. Are you a reporter fishing for a story?

I can assure of two things, I am no Ted Bundy, nor am I 37.

Proof: Girls have COOTIES.

Px4er

Talk with your Dad or an Uncle.

Cooties, really sure that was not a 12 instead of 17?

Oh sorry. I mean, DAMN THAT GIRL GOT ASS.

Anyways, what do you mean talk with my dad or uncle? For them to buy me a gun, or the idea of me owning at 18?

M-Taliesin

Hi all,

So, what are your views on under 21 handgun sales/possesion. I would gladly offer my WADL#, fill out a bill of sale, do a FTF in a nonshady parking lot, and whatever else necessary to satisfy both the buyer and seller. I do see the reservation many sellers have with selling to under 21, but I can tell you, that some of us are more mature than others.

Howdy Young'un!
While I ain't a Washingtonian, I think the obvious question is whether it is legal for you to own a firearm under the laws of Washington state. If you cannot obtain a CCW permit until you are 21, or are not permitted to buy a handgun from a local gun shop, then you are likely looking to circumvent the law.

Suggesting that somebody come forward to sell you a handgun, perhaps in violation of the law, sounds really questionable. Reminds me of young folks who will ask an older individual to buy them some beer because they can't. People who do so are likely to be arrested for contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

Regardless of whether you are mature enough to handle a handgun, how versed are you on the laws regarding handgun possession, use and appropriate defense?

Back when I was 18, I'd have loved to buy alcoholic beverages. Unfortunately for me, the law required one to be 21 years of age to legally obtain beer or any other alcoholic beverages. As much as I may have wanted to vote, I did not secure that right until I reached 21 years of age. There are just some things that are determined by law, however arbitrary that may seem.

It is ironic that people under 21 can enlist in the military and serve in combat, using weapons of every possible type, but can't own or carry a handgun once they return to American soil. The military might ask you to fire a hellfire missle, but you can't own a .40calibur handgun in America! You can shoot an M-16 overseas, but are prevented from owning a 9mm back home!

That's likely why somebody suggested talking with an uncle or other family member. They actually do know you. They know whether you are responsbile or not. They know your maturity level. We, on this forum, only know you through a post you dropped on the forum. While pretty well written, it certainly doesn't place anybody in the position of "knowing" you. All we have is a glimpse, not the whole picture.

So, bum you out as it may, I believe you'll end up having to wait three more years before you can secure a handgun of your very own. That being said, if I had a kid or nephew that demonstrated an interest in shooting, I'd coach him along and take him to the range. I'd teach him safe handling of weapons. I'd share with him the skills of situational awareness. I'd make certain he was very familiar with relevant laws and the use of deadly force. Since you ain't my kin, I'll give you the best advice I am able:
Spend the next three years learning everything you can on the topics above, and know the subject inside out. There are plenty of folks here much older than you who still study the laws and keep abreast of new legislation.

In essence, be on top of your game when you do get a handgun. It is a deadly weapon that requires a high degree of respect, and that's why there is that age limit thingy. And if you have kinfolk willing to get a weapon for you, they need to spend time with you and your gun to ensure you learn all the basic stuff you'll need to know.

I hope I haven't bummed you out, but the law is what it is, and we all must abide by the laws before us. And I hope you have a relative who will take you under his (or her) wing and teach you very well. This ain't a game we play, but a responsibility we shoulder.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

1245A Defender

well,,,

hello
M-Taliesin
user-online.png

besides quoting washing state law to an OP in wisconsin,,
you now are here in washington giving incorrect legal advice to this OP.

in washing state it is very legal for an 18 YO to buy a hand gun in a private sale!
it is good advice for this OP to get training and guidance,
and a dad or uncle is probably the best place to seek that guidance, but
training and guidance is not a legal requirement for the purchase of a hand gun.

ETA. to the OP, go to the sheriffs office and ask for the free booklet, firearms safety the law and you.
all washington state firearms laws, all in one place.
study 9.41.240, 9.41.050 and 9.41.060, lots of info for your age group.

Last edited:

fire suppressor

Defender is right it is legal for a person under the age of 18 to legally own a handgun in this state. If your asking what I personally think about it? I grew up in a military family and my dad started me shooting when I was five so I'm not against it but please read up on the laws first and don't go out and get one just because you think they are cool. If you get a gun at all regardless of it being a rifle shotgun or hand gun your not gust getting a gun your adopting a lifestyle.
If I may pass on one bit of advise taught to me by my father. When someone hands you a gun and tells you its empty regardless if who it is and how well you may know them and respect them ALWAYS check and make sure for your self it is empty. This is not done out of disrespect for the person who handed you the gun but out of respect to the firearm. If who ever you are with is a good teacher they will respect your level of respect for the firearm

Px4er

In Washington State, it is perfectly legal for someone under 21 to obtain a handgun from a privatesale.

Anyways, dont worry about safety, I have been obsessed with firearms and have read up on them. And I will be taking a handgun class at Wades so I wont be totally uneducated.

2 rules: Never assume a gun is unloaded, never put your finger on the trigger until ready. Am I correct?

But the problem is that many people wont sell to someone without a CCW, and obviously, I can't get one at 18. I can own a rifle and shotgun, why not a handgun. (I know I know, concealment issues) but talking in pure lethality, a rifle and shotgun are much more devastating than a 9.

Px4er

Do you have a father, uncle or grandfather?

I have a father, who does not own a gun, an uncle in another country, and no grandfather's to speak of. I do however have a next door neighbor with plenty and my cousin also has a couple.

A rifle is a good plinker, but not something I would want to keep out in the open, a shotgun, the same. A handgun, I can keep in my drawer next to my head. I also like handguns, and the fact that you can get one for ~700$. Instead of 1700$ for a Colt AR-15.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
You learn firearm safety, at your age from the gun owners in your life. I would start with those around you to learn. Then I would start with an inexpensive home defense shotgun. You can pick one up for around $300. They are much more effective for home defense. You can purchase one and the ammo for it yourself at 18.

I'll write more when I get home tonight. I have an 18yo daughter who just received her first handgun.

Sharpender

"2 rules: Never assume a gun is unloaded, never put your finger on the trigger until ready. Am I correct?"

1. All guns are always loaded.
2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

hermannr

It is legal for an 18 to purchase and posses a firearm in WA. RCW 9.41.40 and RCW 9.41.42. It is only illegal for an FFL licensed dealer to sell a handgun to an 18 year old (federal law).

It is not against the law for a private person to sell a firearm to a person 18-21 years old in a face to face transaction if the person selling the firearm knows, or has reason to believe, that the person is not disqualified by federal or state law. (felon, insane, etc)

The first rifle, a Remington 700 BDL, I purchased for myself, I purchased from a gun shop, and I was only 16 years old..of course this was pre-1968 (by several years) I also purchased a Ruger Bearcat at the same time. I have no problem with an 18 year old purchasing a firearm, rifle or pistol..it's legal here in WA.

However, I would suggest our young inquisitor that he take the whole question up with his parents...if he is still living at home. Really, what you need is someone that KNOWS you, WELL. Good place to start if your parents won't help, is at your local rifle range gun club. Show you are a responsible (you can start now by volunteering) and a law abiding member of society.

Good luck...up here in the Highlands it would not be a problem. The local police use the gun club, no-one better to get in good with if you are looking to purchase a firearm.

Have you thought about Black Powder?

Last edited:

Px4er

I don't know of many gun clubs in my area, maybe Renton game and fish?

My parents will be of no help.

I just want a plinker/hd gun. A rifle is kinda out of my price range for an 18 year old, and I just like handguns much better. Shotguns, you can't plink as much.

I'm more into the most modern, the newest guns, I don't really like the black powder stuff.

Hopefully, when the time comes, the seller will look past my age, and welcome another to the firearms society.

Thanks for the commentary guys, I will talk with my neighbor and cousin and learn more about guns, wouldn't want a uninformed teenager walking around right?

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Personally I would not sell a handgun to some unknown person under the age of 21, especially someone coming into a forum seeking out someone that would and to tell you the truth, this is a first I have seen concerning this type of a request.

This sounds more to the likely of a story to be told by the anti gun groups on how an 18 year old can go to any number of gun forums and buy a handgun.

You have been given good advice to find family or friends to assist in learning the safe handling and care of firearms.

For now buy some good pepper spray.

Last edited:

Px4er

Personally I would not sell a handgun to some unknown person under the age of 21, especially someone coming into a forum seeking out someone that would and to tell you the truth, this is a first I have seen concerning this type of a request.

This sounds more to the likely of a story to be told by the anti gun groups on how an 18 year old can go to any number of gun forums and buy a handgun.

You have been given good advice to find family or friends to assist in learning the safe handling and care of firearms.

I'm not digging for sellers. I'm trying to see what people's thoughts are on sales to under 21. What can I do at 21 that I can't do at 18? (other than cc, drinking)

I know how to handle a gun safely. Also, if I'm an unknown person under the age of 21, what are 95% of other private gun sales, unknown people over the age of 21? I think that's even more dangerous, I have to follow a strict set of restrictions, while others can have a loaded gun on their person. I just don't see why 18 year olds are discriminated against, when they can be as responsible as someone over the age of 21.

The Patriot

Maybe I am just mean and distrustful. I would never sell you a gun. I do not believe IMHO that an 18yo is responsible enough to own a handgun. I know this because I was 18 once. I bought my first rifle....Winchester Model 94 30-30 when I was 18 though. I still own it today. I plan on giving it to my son who is 7, when he is 18. He can use it when we go hunting though. I agree with Go-Go, get yourself a shotgun. A perfect home defense firearm. You can get a Stoeger shotgun with a pistol grip from Wholesale Sports for $299. It is a great shotgun. I also mainly do not trust you. I have dealt with people my entire working life and if there is one thing I do know. If they can get away with pulling the wool over your eyes they will. Sorry.

fire suppressor

18 year olds are not discriminated this sounds more like impatiens, no offence. You already know its legal for you to own one at your age you just cant walk into a store and buy one. We all have serten milestones we must pass in this life and turning 21 to get your cpl is one of them. They are not going any ware they will still be there in a few more years. If your looking for a extreme political activist group your looking in the wrong place. You'll find we are all very level headed calm people here, we may be pasinate about our way of life but we are all very law abiding folks