• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Recent transplant to North Carolina, Charlotte

tim12232

So i have been lurking for a while, came over from 1911 forums, and have tried to get as much info about OC in Charlotte/Mecklenberg county and I understand there is the whole going out to the terror of the public and yadda yadda. I will be getting my CCW when I have gotten my NC drivers license and take the 8 hour class. In the mean time because of general crime in my area, am I allowed to open carry and a very new resident to the state or do I have to wait for my NC license and or a certain amount of time for residency to all go through? I have moved here from San Diego and am already loving the more down to earth people out here. I know there is bad everywhere but, at least i feel people are more genuine down here.

So please help, I have searched here and multiple places as well on the NC govnt website. Only ID i currently have is my CA drivers license and gun purchase permit from there.

Also I have read that NC WILL sell long guns to non resident and will a pistol grip as long as your 21? is this real, I would like to pick up a rifle or shotgun for home defense soon and dont want huge wait times or to get in trouble with LEO's

Thanks

Tim

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
First, welcome to the South. As you can see, I am a Virginian. You may get a quicker and more detailed group of responses on the North Carolina forum. NC does have a GATTTOTP law (Going Armed To The Terror Of The Public) from what I understand. I believe they also have a law against carrying at parades and in large crowds, and I think I have heard banks as well. Don't take my word for all of this... verify it on the NC forum with those good folks.

Now learn has to say "y'all" and order grits for your breakfast (NOT instant).

tim12232

I love the south!!!! I feel at 26 that this is really where I was supposed to be born, humidity is still takin some time to get used to, but other than that.....Love the women here, the food, the genuine-ness of people for the most part.

I feel like i got the rules on where and when to carry, but for some odd reason no matter where i look, trying to find NC open carry for new resident or non residents is hard to come by. My original plan was to move to Virginia in the first place, but when I was laid off from work, i couldnt transfer so I moved to Charlotte to save money and go back in with the parents for a few months. Hopefully though no matter what happens for work I should be in good American company!

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
What line of work were you in? The county in which I live, Prince William, has only a 4.9% unemployment rate so there are jobs to be had. Virginia is quite a bit more lenient than is North Carolina in terms of the carrying of a defensive arm... no GATTTOTP laws, no assemblage laws, and a host of other restrictions which both NC and SC have do not exist in Virginia.

Though I have never been to Charlotte, I do intend to see it one day. I do travel through NC to SC several times a year and absolutely love the low country.

tim12232

I have been in sales for many years, Bose "Awesome company" 5 years, and then AT&T for 3.5 years "not so nice". I will look around that area online and see whats available and maybe take a few day trip and do some face to face job hunting "old school" :dude:

Thanks for your help!

Dreamer

So i have been lurking for a while, came over from 1911 forums, and have tried to get as much info about OC in Charlotte/Mecklenberg county and I understand there is the whole going out to the terror of the public and yadda yadda. I will be getting my CCW when I have gotten my NC drivers license and take the 8 hour class. In the mean time because of general crime in my area, am I allowed to open carry and a very new resident to the state or do I have to wait for my NC license and or a certain amount of time for residency to all go through?

First off, welcome to OCDO, and welcome to NC. You're going to find that it is a LOT more 2A-friendly than Kalifornia...

ANYONE who may legally purchase and/or possess a handgun may Open Carry in NC. No "license" is requires for NC, as long as you are carrying it it a holster, and in plain view. You do not need to be a NC resident to do so. You do NOT even need to produce a valid ID if you are approached while on foot while OCing--NC has no "stop and identify" laws, and a drivers license is ONLY required if you are driving an automobile...

In your car, it needs to be in "plain view", not on your hip, in the glovebox, or under the seat. Many people put it on the passenger seat while driving if they do not have their CHP.

And speaking of CHP's I want to corect you on the "CCW" thing. In NC it is called a "Concealed Handgun Permit" (CHP). The ONLY place "Carrying a Concealed Weapon" or Concealed Carry Weapon" (CCW) aare mentioned in NC laws are as descriptions of a CRIME--not as a lawful mode of carry or a permit or license. This is sort of a "pet peeve" of mine, and I'm not trying to be snarky--I just want to get you started out on the right foot... ;)

I have moved here from San Diego and am already loving the more down to earth people out here. I know there is bad everywhere but, at least i feel people are more genuine down here.

The primary difference between NC and CA is that in NC, the government trusts the general population who are law-abiding to own and carry firearms. You're going to find things are VERY different out here--not just with regards to purchase, transport, and carry, but also with regards to the attitudes of other citizens to law-abiding people OCing and CCing...

So please help, I have searched here and multiple places as well on the NC govnt website. Only ID i currently have is my CA drivers license and gun purchase permit from there.

If you already own a firearm, you may OC in NC. Period. End of discussion. You don't need to have a permit, or be a resident, if you are a law-abiding citizen, and the firearm was purchased through a legal purchase.

Also I have read that NC WILL sell long guns to non resident and will a pistol grip as long as your 21? is this real, I would like to pick up a rifle or shotgun for home defense soon and dont want huge wait times or to get in trouble with LEO's

NC does allow for the purchase of long arms by non-residents. However, many dealers will not sell to you if you are no ta NC resident, or from a state not contiguous to NC, so unfortunately, I can't give you a solid answer on this one. It all depends on the particular dealer you are using...

tim12232

Thanks for the awesome info Dreamer!!! That was exactly what I was looking for.

As for your pet peeve, no worries I have a ton of them and also correct people:banghead:!!!

I am originally from MN and when Tim Pawlenty took office he started a concealed permit for the state and up there it was always ccw, so old habits die slow! Now when I hear CHP i generally check my rearview mirrors hahaha! "CHiP's joke"

Thanks again, and I am glad to be back in America, and out of the lame California country!

Tim