• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry in a mal (victorville)

crunnels

The mall in victorville does not have a posting saying open carry is prohibited. However the security guard there have a small piece of paper sayin no weapons but has nothing about open carry. With these grey areas in the law how do I know where is legal and wgere is not to open carry.

eye95

The mall in victorville does not have a posting saying open carry is prohibited. However the security guard there have a small piece of paper sayin no weapons but has nothing about open carry. With these grey areas in the law how do I know where is legal and wgere is not to open carry.

The same is true at Eastdale Mall in Montgomery AL. No signs on or near the doors regarding open carry, carry in general, or weapons in general, yet mall employees have business cards with mall "rules" printed on them. One of the rules is no weapons.

My first encounter with the police was due to my not knowing that OC is not allowed at the mall. They spent two hours trying to figure out how to arrest me to no avail. Ultimately, the incident incident ended the way it should have two hours prior: Being told that I may not carry a gun at the mall. My gun and I both respected their wishes, left the mall, and continue to respect their wishes to this day, spending my money elsewhere.

From a moral POV, there should be a sign on the door. That's just common courtesy. From a legal POV, a sign on the door in AL would have no effect. I can't speak to CA law.

CommonMan101

Always interesting to hear how it goes in other parts of the country.

Signage is a big deal here for CC. A particular sign that we call by it's number: 30.06 must be posted if a business expects you to stop at the door if armed.

A hand written sign or a business card forbidding your gun has no legal prosecution behind it here - but you are tresspassing once they verbally tell you to leave - gun related or not - they can tell anyone to leave that they want to.

Alas, OC is only allowed on property you own or have control over here. The latest attempt at an OC law here is nothing more than a glorified CC law. Your right will be permit-required to exercise it... :(

Last edited: