• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Top 5-10 carry guns?

cleveland

I am going to start stocking holsters and would like feedback on the 5-10 most common. What do you carry and what do you think the most common is?

cleveland

Are 1911s pretty much the same on the outside... other then barrel length? I mean from a holster retention aspect.

XDFDE45

I would add the M&P to the list. The only downside is all the different models that are offered for the Glock, XD and M&P. Full size, compact, sub compact etc.. I'm sure whenever a new gun is introduced from one of the big gun makers the holster companies are going :banghead:.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Are 1911s pretty much the same on the outside... other then barrel length? I mean from a holster retention aspect.

Pretty much. There are a few out there that aren't but the majority stick pretty close to the original design.

If you are asking about this from a holster makers perspective I think a search of other manufacturers websites may give you a pretty good idea on what types fit what and even what are the most popular.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Hopefully I'll get up there next week to claim my Ugly Prize and I'll bring my 1911 (Springfield Armory 5"), my S&W SW99 (which fits the same Fobus holster as a Glock 29, 21SF, 30SF, 30, and 39), and I could bring my buddy's double stack 1911 if you wanted to make some patterns. :cool:

cleveland

Hopefully I'll get up there next week to claim my Ugly Prize and I'll bring my 1911 (Springfield Armory 5"), my S&W SW99 (which fits the same Fobus holster as a Glock 29, 21SF, 30SF, 30, and 39), and I could bring my buddy's double stack 1911 if you wanted to make some patterns. :cool:

WHAT HOLSTER?!!!

:)

I appreciate the offer, and would take you up on it except I don't know that I will have my additional supplies by then. I ordered double what I thought I would need and it's all accounted for! I have 2 set aside for you and 1 as a screw up buffer. With the holiday, I am behind in ordering and will not be back up to full speed until the weekend of the 9th/10th.

Frankly, this forum has a lot to do with how well I am doing and I appreciate the support!

Carcharodon

I have a Glock 36. I think that that will be a popular size of carry gun due to its small size and light weight.. I think he 26 is the same size gun, just in 9mm so you could carry 1 holster and cover 2 types of gun.

Passive101

Sub compact/Compact Glock*
M&P9c
XDsc/XDm compact

Stock holsters in all the popular pocket guns. They're not talked about as much in the gun forums, but they are immensely popular

S&W Bodyguard
Ruger LCP*
kel-Tec P3AT*
Kahr p380
.etc

Smaller popular guns

Kahr MK9/PM9*
Walther PPS
Kel-Tec PF9
3" 1911s
S&W 3" snub nose revolvers
Taurus 3" snub nose revolvers

That's my list off the top of my head :)
* are the guns I've personally owned.

Last edited:

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
I carry an S&W 620 or a Beretta 92FS, or an NAA mini-revolver.

I think some of the most common guns, based upon what I see people carry or hear people talk about for carry are:

1. Glocks, especially the 17, 19, 22, 26, 27, and 36.
2. Springfield XD
3. 1911s.
4. Beretta 92s.
5. J-Frame S&W's ( 37, 36, 637, 642, etc. ) or other small revolvers like the Ruger LCR or Taurus 85.
6. Sigs (P226, P220, P239)
7. Bersa .380, Sig P230, etc. size guns.
8. P32, P3AT, LCP style pocket guns.

Last edited:

Nascar24Glock

I have a Glock 36. I think that that will be a popular size of carry gun due to its small size and light weight.. I think he 26 is the same size gun, just in 9mm so you could carry 1 holster and cover 2 types of gun.

Actually, the 36 is SLIGHTLY different from the measurements of a 26 or 27. According to Glock's website, the 36 is 172mm long, 28.5mm wide, and 121mm high. The 26 and 27 are both 160mm long, 30mm wide, and 106mm high. So, the 36 is higher and longer, but thinner, than the 26 and 27. Hence, the 36 is labeled as a subcompact slimline. Also, the 26 and 27 have a dual-stack magazine; the 36 has a single-stack magazine.

And, to the original poster, I'll add another vote for Glock being in the 5. In case anyone didn't mention it, don't forget to include Ruger and S&W.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
i HAVE A GLOCK34, it's about 1" longer than a glock17 , so as long as the holster is open ended, it's good to go.

we are all fogetting about small revolvers like 38 special snub noses / 357's & Ruger sp-101's and such..... if you need more than 5 or 6 shots your up $hit creek anyways....

smithman

OT, but this is so true, and so frequently overlooked.

Agreed, and this one of the reasons why I feel comfortable carrying a snubby .357! Yes I think there is a large market for the 2-3" revolver in 5 and 6 shot. As people start to carry more concealed now they may realize they prefer a wheelgun to some pocket .380.