• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The dirty little secret about Discover Pass

Dave Workman

Starting today, sportsmen will discover the ‘Discover Pass’

Hunting seasons are still weeks away, but starting today – and worth thinking about over the 4th of July holiday weekend when we celebrate the birth of this nation (and reflect why taxation played a major role in the revolution) – many outdoorsmen and women may discover this state’s “Discover Pass” requirement the hard way.

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-...day-sportsmen-will-discover-the-discover-pass

amlevin

It's definitely something to take note of. For those who go out in the woods to shoot, or use the various "Pits" on DNR land, it will be something that DNR "Cops" will definitely use to check the shooters out. Not having that permit could make a day of shooting fairly expensive.

hermannr

Don't I remember right? They tried this before and it was put to bed by the voters?

I know, only untouchable for 2 years, but we could put this one to bed again, same way.

There was a piece in the news last night that one of the places that sold these "passes" said he sold a lot of them, but the purchasers were not very happy.

Sad part, I have to cross DNR land just to get out of here and go to town.

Last edited:

amlevin

Don't I remember right? They tried this before and it was put to bed by the voters?

I know, only untouchable for 2 years, but we could put this one to bed again, same way.

There was a piece in the news last night that one of the places that sold these "passes" said he sold a lot of them, but the purchasers were not very happy.

Sad part, I have to cross DNR land just to get out of here and go to town.

It won't effect you if your traveling on State or County roads to and from your residence.

Those that like to go off on the dirt logging roads to find places to shoot will need the pass/

As for anything being "put to bed" in this State only refers to who the Governor or Legislators are sleeping with in order to get more money out of the taxpayers.

As for State Parks, there was an attempt to tax the voters through a default fee of $5 on your vehicle license. Had to "opt out" if you didn't want to pay it otherwise it was automatically added.

hermannr

Who's talking about state roads? I have 1/2 mile of one of those "dirt" roads and then 5 miles of gravel before I hit pavement.

I have three ways out of here, all three go right through a (different) school section. Do I have easment? Yes, but as you know from what happens with legal carry, you have to prove the easement.

amlevin

Who's talking about state roads? I have 1/2 mile of one of those "dirt" roads and then 5 miles of gravel before I hit pavement.

I have three ways out of here, all three go right through a (different) school section. Do I have easment? Yes, but as you know from what happens with legal carry, you have to prove the easement.

Having a house there is prima facie evidence you have an easement.

Dem0072

That's pretty screwed up. We're already taxed to use those lands, now they want a special membership too? Where is all of the money going?

It would be cool if we had a shell corporation or some kind of organization with buying power that could scoop up some cheap land out in the county and clear it out. I imagine it would be slightly spendy in the beginning but the more people that join, the dues would drop. If we could get it down to say $10-$15 a year it might keep us from having to put up with the state on this issue in the future.

Benefits could include...

- improved safety (sensible range rules)
- clean premises (simple clean up policy)
- bathrooms & maybe a rain shelter
- fire pit
- biggest charcoal grill in the county (BBQ, Fire Pit & Shooting - the perfect afternoon retreat)

I might sound like a goof for saying it, but if the state can't demonstrate competence in managing the money, someone needs to push them aside & show em how its done.

P.S. Happy 4th of July.

Last edited:

amlevin

That's pretty screwed up. We're already taxed to use those lands, now they want a special membership too? Where is all of the money going?

It would be cool if we had a shell corporation or some kind of organization with buying power that could scoop up some cheap land out in the county and clear it out. I imagine it would be slightly spendy in the beginning but the more people that join, the dues would drop. If we could get it down to say $10-$15 a year it might keep us from having to put up with the state on this issue in the future.

Benefits could include...

- improved safety (sensible range rules)
- clean premises (simple clean up policy)
- bathrooms & maybe a rain shelter
- fire pit
- biggest charcoal grill in the county (BBQ, Fire Pit & Shooting - the perfect afternoon retreat)

I might sound like a goof for saying it, but if the state can't demonstrate competence in managing the money, someone needs to push them aside & show em how its done.

P.S. Happy 4th of July.

Don't forget that this land the group now "owns" will still be subject to State Regulation.

It would have to be zoned for "Shooting Range".
All structures would require Building Permits
At least one restroom would need to be Handicap Accessible even if no Handicapped persons around.

Don't forget that in order to get a permit for the Shooting Range you would also have to provide an Environmental Impact Statement that isn't just cobbled up on your keyboard but involves the services of everyone from Engineers to Environmentalists.

And then you have to be prepared to withstand all the assaults from neighbors in Court. Don't like the noise, go to court to block the building permit. Loose there, go back to court to challenge the EIS. Still loosing, file a complaint with everything from EPA to ADA.

Are you ready for that?

Oh, by the way, the BBQ probably would require a permit from the local Fire Authority and another from the Department of Health.

So much for getting away from State Meddling.

iampam

They're not going to be enforcing it for people driving on DNR and WDFW roads to get somewhere else. I think the only reason they didn't write the legislation to just _say_ it was a parking fee was to avoid people cruising around state parks to avoid paying the fees.

You generally need the pass if you plan to park at land owned by DNR/WDFW/State Parks. You don't need to lose sleep if you happen to drive through an area owned by DNR if you're not parking there.

I think it would have been a lot easier to make it a state parks only thing and leave DNR and WDFW out of it. Most other states charge a fee to visit their state parks, I think it's reasonable considering most state parks are developed and have staff on-site. But I can understand being irked about having to pay so much to park at almost completely undeveloped DNR lands.

iampam

As for State Parks, there was an attempt to tax the voters through a default fee of $5 on your vehicle license. Had to "opt out" if you didn't want to pay it otherwise it was automatically added.

That's still in effect and will remain so. If you renew your tabs online they make it super obvious. I think a lot more people will be opting out with the Discover Pass in effect.

Dem0072

Don't forget that this land the group now "owns" will still be subject to State Regulation.

It would have to be zoned for "Shooting Range".
All structures would require Building Permits
At least one restroom would need to be Handicap Accessible even if no Handicapped persons around.

Don't forget that in order to get a permit for the Shooting Range you would also have to provide an Environmental Impact Statement that isn't just cobbled up on your keyboard but involves the services of everyone from Engineers to Environmentalists.

And then you have to be prepared to withstand all the assaults from neighbors in Court. Don't like the noise, go to court to block the building permit. Loose there, go back to court to challenge the EIS. Still loosing, file a complaint with everything from EPA to ADA.

Are you ready for that?

Oh, by the way, the BBQ probably would require a permit from the local Fire Authority and another from the Department of Health.

So much for getting away from State Meddling.

You have a point there. But what can be done? Do we seriously have to wait 2 years to try and throw this out again?

amlevin

You have a point there. But what can be done? Do we seriously have to wait 2 years to try and throw this out again?

We need to make sure that those who are always voting for things like this become "unemployed" from the Legislature. We need a new crop there. Some that understand that the taxpayers are tapped out. Those that want to keep on spending and then just raise taxes (which now require a 2/3 vote) and fees (which only require a majority vote) need a strong message sent from the voters. Time to toss them out on their a$$e$. THAT's what we can do.