• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Avoiding confrontation while OC'ing. What would you do??

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
Here's a tangentially related situation. Back when John "Swiftboat" Kerry was running for Pres, the story got around that it wasn't unusual for him to go straight to the head of the line at an airline counter. If confronted, he would turn and bluster "Don't you know who I am??!!" My best response, armed or not, would have been to say "I damn well know who you are, which is why you need to get to the back of the line. Don't all the rest of you people agree??!!"

The problem is, most of us think of the best things to say long AFTER the situation has passed. (admit it!)

Oh well. I think the OP handled things properly, but I like to hear what all you other guys have to say anyhow.

TFred

Not exactly on topic, my pet peeve is people who crash the express lane with "more than" 20 items...

I am too polite to actually use this, but I always want to say to them, "Can't you read, or can't you count??"

:D

TFred

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Kill'em all with kindness. :)

I am now overcome with the desire to engrave "Kindness" on my bullets...

"Stop the threat with kindness!"

No! this:

smiley2.jpg

smiley1.jpg

Last edited:

va_tazdad

While I believe you handled it just fine, I would probably have commented something to the effect of

"Excuse me young man, do you know cutting in line can get you thrown out of the park?"

It seems that parents of today do not teach manners as mine did.

;>)

Jay

I also think that you did a fine job. My concern would be if things did esculate and you did not attempt to disengage, you could be considered as esculating the confrontation by saying anything at all. Stranger things have happened in the court systems of today.

If it had escalated I would have backed down. Im more of a lover then a fighter :)

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
If you would do the same thing when NOT carrying, it's not "confrontation."

If he learned manners because you WERE carrying, that's a valuable lesson for him which may keep him out of trouble later.

Of course, one way to avoid confrontation (whether OC or not) is to start twitching, let a little drool come out of the corner of your mouth, and quietly murmur "Brrrraaaainnnssssss. . ."

user

Accomplished Advocate
What if you'd been wearing a tie; a wristwatch, or sandals? Does the fact that you're wearing a gun make the slightest bit of difference? Unless and until the situation arises giving you an appropriate reason to kill someone, it's just another fashion accessory. Until that time, don't talk about it, don't touch it, and don't even think about it. All that is relevant and material in this story is that the dude cut in line. I'd have phrased my response differently but with the same general effect. What he thinks about what you're wearing is of no consequence.