• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Associated press says not in gfsz at all?!

keepyourreceipt

Did I miss something? I thought I understood what was all included in SB93, but I just read this article on the local fox 6 milwaukee site. In it, it quotes th AP in saying that "The weapons would be barred anywhere within 1,000 feet of school grounds" among others. I thought SB93 allowed ccw (with a permit) in the gfsz, but just not on any school grounds or property? I've included a link to the article I'm referring to. Thanks guys!

http://mobile.fox6now.com/wap/news/text.jsp?sid=39&nid=54386881&cid=4508&scid=-1&ith=8&title=News

Nascar24Glock

AP might have misread the bill or misinterpreted another source. It's my understanding that PERMITTEES will be able to carry within the 1000', but not on the grounds themselves. For NONpermittees, it changes the STATE law so that carrying within the 1000' but not on the grounds is now a class B forfeiture instead of a Class I felony (carrying within the 1000' without a permit is still a felony on the Federal level). It will still be a class I felony for a permittee or nonpermitee alike to carry on the actual grounds.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Coming to the AP's defense, they probably read the FAQ memo that was released. It is wrong when it comes to the GFSZ and permits as well.

That being said, a real reporter would also have read the legislation.