• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting OC interaction today...

GlockRDH

I was in the Goodwill store on the southside of Madison this afternoon...while waiting to chekc out heres what happened...

'Is that a 'real' gun'...(lady behind me, said in a VERY condescending tone)
'Yes ma'am it is' (me)
'Is that legal?' (lady behind me...she wasnt at all happy!)
'Yes ma'am it is. Its the only way to legally carry in WI." (me)
'Im glad youre carrying that!' (checker lady)
'With the current laws, the ONLY people concealing in WI are the criminals (Im looking at the lady behind me when im saying this...i could see her blood boiling..LOL)
'you NEED to shop all the time, especially after dark!' (checker lady, grinning.)
'Given how this neighborhood is, It might not be a bad idea' (me)

I was now done at the register...i could still see how upset the one lady was and how comfortable the other one was...very interesting interaction...seeing BOTH at one time.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
I was in the Goodwill store on the southside of Madison this afternoon...while waiting to chekc out heres what happened...

'Is that a 'real' gun'...(lady behind me, said in a VERY condescending tone)
'Yes ma'am it is' (me)
'Is that legal?' (lady behind me...she wasnt at all happy!)
'Yes ma'am it is. Its the only way to legally carry in WI." (me)
'Im glad youre carrying that!' (checker lady)
'With the current laws, the ONLY people concealing in WI are the criminals (Im looking at the lady behind me when im saying this...i could see her blood boiling..LOL)
'you NEED to shop all the time, especially after dark!' (checker lady, grinning.)
'Given how this neighborhood is, It might not be a bad idea' (me)

I was now done at the register...i could still see how upset the one lady was and how comfortable the other one was...very interesting interaction...seeing BOTH at one time.

I would have asked the snob sheeple woman , if my carrying this weapon made her feel uncomfortable..she would have replied something like..YES , IT DOES....then I would have said....TOO BAD !!!! :)

XDFDE45

I would have asked the snob sheeple woman , if my carrying this weapon made her feel uncomfortable..she would have replied something like..YES , IT DOES....then I would have said....TOO BAD !!!! :)
I would have said "Well if it makes you uncomfortable there are plenty of other places in the city for YOU to shop at." BTW was the vein in her temple doing the little dance? That is always funny to see
smileyvault-stirthepot.gif

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I would have said "Well if it makes you uncomfortable there are plenty of other places in the city for YOU to shop at." BTW was the vein in her temple doing the little dance? That is always funny to see
smileyvault-stirthepot.gif

I like it when people ask "why are you carrying that gun?" I usually respond with some variation of "for the same reason you are worried about me carrying it." If the person is pleasant about it, I take the opportunity to inform them all about OC.

bluehighways

@ Glock34: That is one hot avatar you've chosen. See what it did? It compelled me to go off topic and comment on it. Is she OC'ing?

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
@ Glock34: That is one hot avatar you've chosen. See what it did? It compelled me to go off topic and comment on it. Is she OC'ing?

ummmm, .....Well she "WAS" open carrying ;) my weapon......lol I likem thin, pretty & clad in Lingerie...
Did you hear...womens/ girls SHORT SHORTS are back in style, TARGET is selling them now. YES, BRING BACK THE NAUGHTY 70'S :):):)

Last edited:

Da Po-lock

I may take a beating for this but.......

Given the fact we as OC'ers we have discussed being ambassadors of upstanding citizens when we carry, negative interactions with others who do not share our values make all of kind of look like slobs.

We do not have to stoop to their level, do we ?

As much as I like to go rounds with ignorant people, when I carry, I try to be more passive to support our cause.

BEFORE we got CC, we heard of polite and educational encounters with others, even obvious idiots, almost to the point of sucking up to get them to support US.

NOW that we have CC, negativity toward others seems to rub their noses in the fact we got most of what we want. This is not right, it's like gloating.

Now of all times we need to continue to be patient with others and show them how truly good we are.

Of course, there are some who get what they deserve and just beg to be beaten.

................A kinder and gentler Po-lock

Last edited:

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
I Didn't Read Anything Negative In His Interaction.

Given the fact we as OC'ers we have discussed being ambassadors of upstanding citizens when we carry, negative interactions with others who do not share our values make all of kind of look like slobs.

As much as I like to go rounds with ignorant people, when I carry, I try to be more passive to support our cause.

BEFORE we got CC, we heard of polite and educational encounters with others, even obvious idiots, almost to the point of sucking up to get them to support US.

NOW that we have CC, negativity toward others seems to rub their noses in the fact we got most of what we want. This is not right, it's like gloating.

Now of all times we need to continue to be patient with others and show them how truly good we are.

Seems to me he was kind and explained it well in few words. I see nothing in his explanation that is negative or gloating.

Once concealed carry is law and I have my Wisconsin "privilege" permit if I have a negative interaction while open carrying I may just do this: "Mam/sir, does this make you feel better" (as I pull my shirt over my gun).

To tell the truth I am very tired of ignorant people and I am very tired of wasting my breath talking to them. If I've learned anything about ignorant people it is impossible to change their viewpoint(s) or opinions in one/two/three/four etc... interactions.

Carry on.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
To tell the truth I am very tired of ignorant people and I am very tired of wasting my breath talking to them. If I've learned anything about ignorant people it is impossible to change their viewpoint(s) or opinions in one/two/three/four etc... interactions.

Carry on.
I know what you mean. The thing about ignorant people is that if something is repeated often enough, they do start to hear it. I hope that we don't let up on trying to educate people who don't have a clue, because our work isn't done until it becomes NORMAL to be ready to defend oneself and the RKBA becomes part of our culture again. (Steps off soap box, tripping over soap...) ;)

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Thanks Dave! Watch Out For That Step Down!

I know what you mean. The thing about ignorant people is that if something is repeated often enough, they do start to hear it. I hope that we don't let up on trying to educate people who don't have a clue, because our work isn't done until it becomes NORMAL to be ready to defend oneself and the RKBA becomes part of our culture again. (Steps off soap box, tripping over soap...) ;)

I know but geez I have had enough. My own brother in law is the worst of the worst progressives/liberals/communists (SERIOUSLY) that I have ever met. He may have been the reason Savage wrote the book "Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder". (Steps down from Podium).

Lock and Load!

Badger Johnson

Sounds like a good interaction. I would caution those who might suggest an 'are you uncomfortable?...TOO BAD' type of reply. It only takes a second for someone to take issue and lie about you brandishing to have you get in hot water. (Unless you have your recorder going there is no defense)

Politeness and calmness at all times, iow.

$.02

XDFDE45

I understand what you are saying and my response was sort of tongue in cheek, well not the part about the vein in the temple. On the few occasions that someone has approached me and asked me why I was carrying I explained that in WI it is perfectly legal to OC. When they ask more about it I answer any questions they might have and usually have a very nice talk with them. There was one who was obviously VERY anti but I kept my cool and for every point she tried to make for the anti argument I had a counter point for the pro side. Not ONCE did I get nasty or snarky or angry but I calmly shot down every argument this lady had for not being able to carry open or cc using laws and facts to support my side. After awhile when it became obvious she wasn't going to change my mind and she realized she was on the losing end of the argument she went from slightly agitated, right from the moment she saw my gun, to full on mega-flap
screaming.gif
. That was not my intent but I've had that particular conversation before and I know how it usually ends so yes I thought I'd have a little fun with it
icon_twisted.gif

Last edited: