• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kitsap County Open Carry Report

sirpuma

At the bank the other day (Kitsap Credit Union on S. Kitsap Blvd just off Hwy 16 and Tremont). Been going in and out of there for over three years with nary an issue. Only ever positive conversations with both customers and employees alike. This time I end up being helped by one of the management, Asian lady, didn't catch her name. After getting my money deposited she leans over and whispers conspiratorially, "I see you're carrying a gun. I'm a member of the management staff. We've had customers running away when they see your gun. Could you please cover it up?" I said "I'll think about it." I'm going to contact the corporate office and see what they have to say. My answer is NO and I've NEVER seen anyone turn around and walk out when I come in let alone "run away". I think she's just anti gun and doesn't like it.

Well I finally had a long convo with Sandy Thomas who is the Risk Manager for Kitsap Credit Union. The end result is they got three different people complaining about my gun, two of which claimed to be gun owners. And so she decided that they will not be OC friendly. She didn't outright ban firearms but just asked if I would conceal when inside the branch. She was nice enough but frankly it really irritates me that gun owners would be anti rights.

fire suppressor

I finally took some time and explored the clear creek trail system. I was very impressed I always thought of was a simple nature trail but it turned out to be a lot bigger than I thought. I explored a couple miles of it with a lot left to discover. I was open carrying my revolver and had no problems. I passed a hand full of people but they where all spread out and doing their own thing. I had several people smile and nod at me while I was walking and I had a couple joggers jog right past my strong side all without any problems. It was a nice open carry day without any issues. I parked next to the skate and dog park ( I also did not know the dog park was there) and took the time to read all posted signs and rules before I went on the trail. I was delighted to see there was no type of "no firearms" signs listed anywhere, I know we still have a few up even though the parks department said they would take them down. I am also glad I had my gun there where some homeless tents set up with less than credible people occupying them. They seemed to stick to their own area and not bother anyone on the main trail but it is something to be aware of. All and all I had a great little mini adventure and a very relaxed open carry experience

fire suppressor

Well I finally had a long convo with Sandy Thomas who is the Risk Manager for Kitsap Credit Union. The end result is they got three different people complaining about my gun, two of which claimed to be gun owners. And so she decided that they will not be OC friendly. She didn't outright ban firearms but just asked if I would conceal when inside the branch. She was nice enough but frankly it really irritates me that gun owners would be anti rights.

Thanks for the update I am a kitsap credit union customer as well

Lante

I am a Kitsap Credit Union customer too....for 11 years....I will contact them tomorrow to remind them that there is more than 1 open carrier that is a customer.

Venya

As far as places to shoot go, while it's technically outside Kitsap County, I've had pretty good experiences with the Gig Harbor Sportsman's Club, just off the Burnham Drive exit a few miles before the Tacoma Narrows bridge. Shooting for members is $4, $5 for military/LE, and I think $10 for guests and $15 for random members of the public. They do pistol, rifle (out to 100m, anyway), archery and trap. Range officers are diligent without being jerks (in the dozen or so times I've been there), and if you are open to shooting tips, there are always knowledgeable people willing to offer them. Only real issue is that there aren't a ton of lanes, and sometimes it gets crowded.

We live about a mile on the KC side of the Kitsap/Pierce county line, but I grew up in Bremerton/Silverdale, and am up there quite a bit. I mostly carry concealed, but OC a fair bit in the warmer months and in places I frequent, er, frequently. The only place I don't carry is work (Fort Lewis), but that's a separate rant.

1911er

As far as places to shoot go, while it's technically outside Kitsap County, I've had pretty good experiences with the Gig Harbor Sportsman's Club, just off the Burnham Drive exit a few miles before the Tacoma Narrows bridge. Shooting for members is $4, $5 for military/LE, and I think $10 for guests and $15 for random members of the public. They do pistol, rifle (out to 100m, anyway), archery and trap. Range officers are diligent without being jerks (in the dozen or so times I've been there), and if you are open to shooting tips, there are always knowledgeable people willing to offer them. Only real issue is that there aren't a ton of lanes, and sometimes it gets crowded.

We live about a mile on the KC side of the Kitsap/Pierce county line, but I grew up in Bremerton/Silverdale, and am up there quite a bit. I mostly carry concealed, but OC a fair bit in the warmer months and in places I frequent, er, frequently. The only place I don't carry is work (Fort Lewis), but that's a separate rant.

Welcome to the forum I live not far from you just on the other side of 16 hope to see you out and about.

1911er

Auction

The Wife and I went to the West sound Auction last night they had some great peices up for sale and some great looking firearms .Was really supprised to see as many OCers there as I did and of course SirPuma it was good to see you so hard at work . after getting so warm today decided to go to DQ for a frozen treat one lady saw my S&W asked me if I was A det. I repllied no just a regular resident in town she grabbed her two kids left everything on there table and scurried out like rodents afraid of the light. the teller laughed and said some people won.t learn that everyone that carries isn't a bad guy.

Venya

Thanks for the welcome.

Spent most of my out-and-about-time today (i.e. the time NOT spent watching my children) in Lakewood. Came home with a Ruger SP101 in .357. =)

HotLead

Decided to not carry.

It appears that if one lights a firework to celebrate our great country with a first and forth amendment and the best constitution in the world one should plan a better escape. I found out if one twists and runs at the same time you might tear your meniscus in your right knee. On July 5th at Silverdale Orthopedic Care I decided it would be prudent not to carry anticipating running around, getting looked at and x-rayed. I spent the rest of the day feeling naked even after putting my pants back on. July 6th when I went back to confirm my MRA appointment for next week, I did OC my Springfield XDM 40. No comment, no discussion, no hassle. My prognosis is I can walk, just no bending or squatting, so I am off work for now. After I left the clinic, I decided to get my hair cut while keeping my leg straight. Went to Shear Designs Family Salon in Poulsbo. Can not see how they could have missed an XD but nothing was said. Talked about the usual stuff, paid and left. All in all a great day in Kitsap.:banana:

sirpuma

The Wife and I went to the West sound Auction last night they had some great peices up for sale and some great looking firearms .Was really supprised to see as many OCers there as I did and of course SirPuma it was good to see you so hard at work . after getting so warm today decided to go to DQ for a frozen treat one lady saw my S&W asked me if I was A det. I repllied no just a regular resident in town she grabbed her two kids left everything on there table and scurried out like rodents afraid of the light. the teller laughed and said some people won.t learn that everyone that carries isn't a bad guy.

Good to see you out there 1911er. Ever since I started handling his transfers and hanging out OC there more and more people have been coming in OC. Tim, the auctioneer will OC up till it's auction time then he puts it on a shelf on his podium at easy reach. Couple of the helpers have OCed too. I've had several people thank me for carrying and for OCing.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Hello Kitsap

Whatcom County is having a BBQ, in case you had not heard yet (see sticky). Bloedel Donovan Park, Bastille Day, 14 July 2012, 10:00 and on. Bring the kids, have a good time and commune with like minds.Yes, it is a drive, but it will grow on you.

Lante

I contacted Sandy Thomas the Risk Manager for Kitsap Credit Union about her request to conceal while inside the branch, and I received this reply within 5 minutes of my email:

"Can you please let me know where you got the information that our policy in this matter has changed or that I am now asking you to cover your weapon? As far as I know we have never had contact or discussed this issue.

Thanks,

Sandy Thomas

Risk Manager

(360) 662-2163 direct

(360) 620-3442 mobile

(800) 422-5852 x22163 toll free "

When I explained that one of the OCDO members had a conversation with her after an issue at the Port Orchard branch, and reported a nice conversation with her but that she requested he cover when banking during that conversation. I said that if there had been a miscommunication I would be happy to pass that on. There has been no further reply to my email.

sirpuma

Hey sirpuma, I love auctions. I need mor info. When, where?

Westsound Auctions, Hwy 3 just north of Belfair between Belfair and Lake Flora Rd. www.westsoundauctions.com General auctions every Friday. First Friday of the month though is Antiques, Collectibles and Firearms and is not only local but live on the internet on Proxibid.

I contacted Sandy Thomas the Risk Manager for Kitsap Credit Union about her request to conceal while inside the branch, and I received this reply within 5 minutes of my email:

"Can you please let me know where you got the information that our policy in this matter has changed or that I am now asking you to cover your weapon? As far as I know we have never had contact or discussed this issue.

Thanks,

Sandy Thomas

Risk Manager

(360) 662-2163 direct

(360) 620-3442 mobile

(800) 422-5852 x22163 toll free "

When I explained that one of the OCDO members had a conversation with her after an issue at the Port Orchard branch, and reported a nice conversation with her but that she requested he cover when banking during that conversation. I said that if there had been a miscommunication I would be happy to pass that on. There has been no further reply to my email.

Oh, so I guess the rule only applies to me. &*^%$#@!!!!

1911er

Westsound Auctions, Hwy 3 just north of Belfair between Belfair and Lake Flora Rd. www.westsoundauctions.com General auctions every Friday. First Friday of the month though is Antiques, Collectibles and Firearms and is not only local but live on the internet on Proxibid.

Oh, so I guess the rule only applies to me. &*^%$#@!!!!

It must be that hat you wear. lol

Engine-5-Truck

Bremerton OC?

Hey guys, I am fairly new to the Bremerton Area (By the fairgrounds actually). Not sure if i am posting in the right form. But maybe someone could point me in the right direction or help me out with some connections. I previously lived in Pa but had to move here because my wife is active navy and got stationed here. But anyway, in PA I OC`d all the time. I have my CPL and have been very hesitant to OC and at some times conceal. Whats it like out here? Is there any OC groups? Or Meetings? Id be interested in supporting OC or any type of 2nd amendment rights etc. My email is Cholmes@mvfd5.com. Always lookin to make some new gun friends as well. I have a couple now but their stance is... I have a gun, it stays in a safe and looks pretty. Well thanks guys for your time.

Engine-5-Truck

Wow, that's right out there by where I used to live. Back in around '99 I was living on Mason Lake right by the Park. I'll have to check it out sometime. Thanks =]

As for OCing.

Saturday April 21

Was heading to my car to go out to look around Boerners for used deals and the Maintenance guy for our duplexes was working on the neighbor's place and asked me "What kind of job do you have that lets you carry one of those?". I informed him that it's not job related and that OC was good in WA even without a permit. He told me that he knew that because he's a security guard. Not much else in that conversation.

At Boerners

Of course, no problems OCing for me. Only other people who were OCing there, though were the staff. It's amazing how even at a gun shop I never see OCers unless they're behind the counter. Oh, also, for anyone looking for a 12ga, they had 2 Mossie 500s that were pretty nice. One was just in the Tactical setup with the tri-rail pump, retractable stock, etc. The other was one with a Knoxx Wire Stock. Both are pretty low priced compared to what I normally see over there, probably since they're used.

I was there the day after i had just moved in to bremerton. Started to talk to some of the guys there (customers and i think one employee) and when i asked about OC, they looked at me and said "Dont do it, your better off to conceal" so i just kinda figured OC wasnt a good idea out here.