• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kitsap County Open Carry Report

Vitaeus

@Engine-5-Truck, first welcome to Kitsap, second Boerner's folks are not exactly the folks I would go to for their opinions. There are not a huge number of us around these parts that Open Carry, but none of the local LEOs are a problem. We don't have a regular meet-up, but I keep meaning to start one.

Engine-5-Truck

@Engine-5-Truck, first welcome to Kitsap, second Boerner's folks are not exactly the folks I would go to for their opinions. There are not a huge number of us around these parts that Open Carry, but none of the local LEOs are a problem. We don't have a regular meet-up, but I keep meaning to start one.

Yeah they seemed a little... Idk how to put it lol. But thats good with the leos. Id be down for meet ups or what ever. Just let me know.

leitung

Just moved here 2 weeks ago, haven't seen anyone OC'ing around town yet, I'm gonna try and make it out to the bay street deal here on the 7th, but that will depend on if anything comes up.

fire suppressor

Welcome to the area you are in a good location there are plenty of us who open carry in your area. Don't be shy we all meet up from time to time and everyone is welcome. While not ever open carry encounter can always be a positive one I feel overall we have it pretty good around here. We do have problems from time to time but not nearly as bad as some other places, hope to see you around soon

Ajetpilot

Welcome! I've never had even a question from anyone, LEOs included, here in Kitsap, and I've been OC for over 5 years. I've even had a couple nice comments thanking me for openly exercising our rights. Hope to see you around sometime.

Last edited:

Trigger Dr

Just to give you a bit of insight to Boerner firearms...I have known Bill Boerner for 0ver 30 years, his Partner Mike Blacknall is a retired POPD officer. Mike and Bill both know OC is legal.
About 5 years ago I walked into their shop OC and Bill came unglued. His rant was along the lines of "If some one calls the cops on you for carrying open, and they have an accident while responding, you will be arrested and prosecuted for causing the accident. You will be charged with reckless endangerment."
Bill knows OC is legal, he allows it in the store, reluctantly, because he knows it creates business. What he does not realize, his attitude is counter productive.
I OC there regularly and he has never said another word to me about it. Mike just shakes his head when he hears Bill rant.

Ajetpilot

Had another, "Thank you for exercising our Second Amendment rights," comment this morning, this one at Sherry's Port Orchard. Second thank you this week. It is SO important to continue demonstrating that is not something unusual to exercise rights!

fire suppressor

Had another, "Thank you for exercising our Second Amendment rights," comment this morning, this one at Sherry's Port Orchard. Second thank you this week. It is SO important to continue demonstrating that is not something unusual to exercise rights!

That's they key! Going about your day while open carrying as if nothing is odd is the single most important thing anyone of us can do. People read our time body language and demeanor. I can tell you from personal experience as long as you act calm, relaxed and as if the gun is suppose to be there the people around you will be calm and relaxed. It is only when we start looking and acting like we are breaking a law do people begin to question us. Most people are sheep and will go along with what ever is portrayed to them as lawful. Good encounter it always helps to get a thank you out in the field

CoastMan

Greetings Everyone

Im new to the this board. I have lived in Kitsap for 5 years, and normally carry concealed. I recently started open carrying because I was tired of trying to make sure that it was covered. I always felt self conscious about making sure that my weapon was properly covered, and to be honest, it was a pain in the butt sometimes. I feel carrying in the open is liberating, and a lot more comfortable. I normally would conceal my Glock 27 because of its smaller frame, and leave my favorite G22 locked up. Im glad that I stumbled across this particular thread, so that I know I am not alone in Kitsap. Im looking forward to meeting some like minded people.

CoastMan

Funny story

Since I just recently joined the site, I thought that I would share my latest open carry experience. I was in the check out line at Safeway off of 303 and McWilliams this afternoon with my G22 on my hip, when I guy and his 9 year old daughter walked by. I heard the little girl say oh oh he has his gun daddy. A few seconds later the dad, who was in the next check out aisle leans over and asks me if I was a police officer. Like I really need to answer his questions, I responded with a no. He than proceeded to tell me how I was breaking the law and that what I was doing was considered brandishing my weapon. He also let me know that if he called it in I would receive a ticket, and then I wouldn't think I was so cool. He also stated that he has his CW permit and knows what he was talking about. What makes this story really funny is that according to this legal scholar, me standing in Safeway holding a birthday cake and a card while open carrying is considered brandishing my weapon.

So, what does everyone here recommend I should do to help educate these type of legal scholars? I am thinking about carrying some of the pamphlets with me. Honestly, I don't want to have the same conversation with all these types of people, but I wouldn't mind raising awareness.

Also is the pamphlet I should be using? http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3385&d=1280151535
Thanks

Last edited:

Vitaeus

Yes that is a good pamphlet, as far as how to "educate" someone like that, I doubt anything will change an encounter like that 's mind, my response would likely be "So which RCW am I violating?"

Last edited:

1911er

Welcone aboard

Welcome aboard Coastman I live down here in Port Orchard If you ever want to get together for coffe give me a shout on here, And if I'm not busy I always have time for coffee.

jeeper1

He also let me know that if he called it in I would receive a ticket, and then I wouldn't think I was so cool.
I would have told the idiot to call it in if he would stick around so he could find out just how wrong he is.

fire suppressor

Sometimes when people ask me if I am a cop I like to tell them I am not legally required to answer that question then try not to laugh as I watch the confused look on their face. It is amazing for how many "experts" out there who threaten us with calling the police I have never herd of anyone backing up that threat. Sheep who think they are wolves are the most dangerous and the most frustrating

CoastMan

Ignorance is not permanent

I would have told the idiot to call it in if he would stick around so he could find out just how wrong he is.

That is the opposite approach that I am looking for. I really would like to educate these ignorant people. There are too many people who do not know their rights, and are brainwashed by the system. The more people who are awake the better. I suppose the police coming would of made this guy look like an arse though.

HotLead

I have open carried for over a year now and have not had a bad encounter. Today the wife and I went to the fair grounds to enter our things for this year’s fair. The ladies behind the table were sitting just below my XDM 40, not a word was said. I even had to help carry my entry around the table and place it on the display, it was a lot of glass, and going around the counter is a no no. I know that some day I will have a bad encounter. I always try to smile and be as helpful as I can and so far it has worked. Last year at the fair I CC; have any of you OLD timers OC at the Kitsap Fair?

GreatWhiteLlama

That is the opposite approach that I am looking for. I really would like to educate these ignorant people. There are too many people who do not know their rights, and are brainwashed by the system. The more people who are awake the better. I suppose the police coming would of made this guy look like an arse though.

Well, it's too late for that encounter, but perhaps next time you could say something like; "That's interesting, you're the second person that I spoke with that didn't realize that Washington is an open carry state. If you're really curious about the legalities of carrying your weapon, you may be interested in checking out OCDO. There is a ton of useful information on there and it has a very active forum with people willing to answer any legal question you may have."

My $0.02. And yes, it's worth every penny... :p