• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kitsap County Open Carry Report

yellowsport20

Today was my first.

Well today was my first open carry day. Went to a gas station and Ace hardware on my way to go do a little target practice. I really don't think anyone noticed. I really wasn't as nervous about it as I thought I would be. Now that I know how it feels I think it will become a much more regular thing.

psbart

was OCing at a BBQ at a friend's place in Poulsbo. Met another family there with kiddos of a similar age to mine. Towards the end of the party, the dad said "I don't know whether to be proud of my kids for not caring or disappointed that I didn't get to have a 2nd amendment talk with them about you open carrying" LoL.

then Tue, in the washroom at Golden Grill on the Bay in Port Orchard, nice older lady noticed my sidearm "And you are packing. Is that for work?" me:"nope" her:"but you have a permit for that?" me:"don't need one to carry it out in the open like this in this state" her:"so you do it because you can?" me:"mostly. I believe in exercising my 2nd amendment right. A right not exercised is a right lost" her final comment:"that's cool. I'm going to have to remember that"

yellowsport20

Carried in Wendy's and Walmart this evening after a little plinking out in the woods. A few gawkers in Wendy's and some hushed "did you see that" comments. The checker in Walmart said she is seeing a lot more people open carry these days and that she prefers to conceal so the bad guys don't know she has a gun. My friend responded with "we want them to see". All in all a good day

Mainsail

I've lived in Silverdale for three and a half years and I never knew there was a gun shop behind the Silverdale Napa store. I went in OC and they guy eyeballed me but was very friendly once I started talking to him. Prices seem very high- the same Mosin I got for $85 at Mary's was hanging on his wall for over $250. A sign of the times? I saw very little ammo, and what there was on the shelf was so far away I couldn't read the labels.

I'm in Salt Lake City for two weeks now so I'm thinking of taking the Utah class to get the other states not covered by Washington's CPL

sirpuma

I've lived in Silverdale for three and a half years and I never knew there was a gun shop behind the Silverdale Napa store. I went in OC and they guy eyeballed me but was very friendly once I started talking to him. Prices seem very high- the same Mosin I got for $85 at Mary's was hanging on his wall for over $250. A sign of the times? I saw very little ammo, and what there was on the shelf was so far away I couldn't read the labels.

I'm in Salt Lake City for two weeks now so I'm thinking of taking the Utah class to get the other states not covered by Washington's CPL

All matching number hex 91/30s are currently selling for $200+ on Gunbroker. I also saw a ratty 91/30 round receiver in the local Big 5 for $199. I currently have a all matching (except bayonet) hex 91/30 up for auction at Westsound Auctions with a starting bid of $75. I won't be surprised if it hits $200. It is a sign of the times. Gun and ammo prices went through the roof due to demand during the first couple months this year and are very slowly coming down. But they are still high.

leitung

Me neither, might check it out tomorrow.

yellowsport20

Another evening at Walmart and it was crazy busy. Nobody said anything to me but I heard a few "did you see that" comments. Also, no one got in line behind me even though the place was packed.

Oathkeeper Cooter

OCing in Downtown Seattle - about the only place in King Co I ever travel - troubles me. I watched the video of that SPD officer shooting the wood carver in the back.

I want to go find someplace in the woods out in Kitsap or Mason to shoot. Can anybody give me any advice on places to go?

I realize you meant for free, but may I suggest Kitsap Rifle & Revolver Club on Seabeck Hwy. Nice, outdoor, blue-sky range; very safe; they have ltos of classes, steel plate matches, USPSA, etc.
There is a Glock Sport Shooting Federation competition there tomorrow and Sunday.

HotLead

Wally-World

Another evening at Walmart and it was crazy busy. Nobody said anything to me but I heard a few "did you see that" comments. Also, no one got in line behind me even though the place was packed.

Some days things go good. I was headed home and decided to stop at Wally-World in Poulsbo. As I was pulling into the parking lot a Poulsbo PD van goes in front of my truck. He is headed towards tires. I think OK cruising the parking lot, I am looking for 44MAG, chance of finding them 2% maybe. So I am walking down the isle and the Cop is at the counter buying something. I pass strong side with the checker between LE and me. I see LE look down at my Springfield XDM 40 as I go past to the bullet case. While standing there for a long time (no pistol ammo at all) LE says to me “you won’t find any thing there”. I answer “at least no pistol ammo’. He started the conversion, I go over to him strong side and tell him I am looking for 44MAG just bought a Marlin lever action so now looking for a pistol in 44. The sales clerk interrupts us and ask if there is any thing else except the fish license. LE says no and the clerk hands back his ID drivers license. I chuckle and say “you need ID?” He answers “yep that is what is required”. He then talks about how much fun a 44MAG is to shoot. I ask him if he shoots competition. He says no, he just likes to go out with friends. I ask if he would like to shoot the Courage Classic next year. “probably not”. So I shake his hand and thank him for his service to the community. I know a lot here will think me stupid for talking to LE but it is my hope to continue to make OC a normal thing in this country. LE never said anything about the carry and never looked down other than the first time. Just another good day in Kitsap Co. P.S. I was wearing a bright fluorescent orange 811 safety first T shirt with a bad ass Black gun that could be seen from across the store.

Attachments

• CIMG0638.jpg
    CIMG0638.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 121
  • CIMG0636.jpg
    CIMG0636.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 154

1911er

Port Orchard

I finally ate at Dave's café after living here 13 years not bad and no one said A word about my S&W hanging on my hip. then I stopped in A couple of doors down to pick up some stuff for one of my habits and the teller said she was glad to see someone exercising there right to carry. Instant conversation starter we chatted for about 15 minutes then I was on my way. good day!!