• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kitsap County Open Carry Report

fire suppressor

A few days ago I picked my girlfriend up from the air porter bus at the silverdale beach hotel. I thought I might have a comment or two as there are usually a lot of people and I was wearing a shirt that accented my XD. I had no problems or comments I did have a few people smile at me but I think that was because I was carrying a bouquet of flowers

fire suppressor

Had lunch at Chung's teriaki today in silverdale. No problems from the staff but a few uncomfortable looks from the other people eating. One middle aged man in particular would not take his eyes off me. I took my time ate my lunch and other than the nervous looks had no problems

fire suppressor

I had a good open carry day while trying to get some Christmas shopping done. Started out in Walgreens in Silverdale from there I went to Target. I Spent way to long in Target thought I was going to wear holes in the floor. Target was busy but no problems even ran into a kitsap county sheriff officer at one point, he smiled and gave me the nod and I did the same. From Target I went to the liquor store, Albertson's and Central Market. No negative encounters to report today, carry on friends

Swordsmyth

Third OC Day for Me!

Went to Central Market and did my usual shopping yesterday. Walked past the store manager talking with the undercover security guard, no issue's.

Walked past the produce manager, got a smile and a nod.

Security guard and I had a conversation for over ten minutes before he noticed the Glock on my hip.

He said, "Sweet, what caliber you carrying? Sure wish they would let me carry on duty."

I asked if he had ever been requested by management to ID someone OC'ing in the store. He said he had but that he didn't do it because, hello, the guy was carrying a gun, lol.:shocker:

They get a dancing :monkey from me for being so friendly!

Last edited:

fire suppressor

Sounds like a great day! I open carry in there often more often later at night but sometimes during the day. I have never had a issue in the store good to know the security guard is level headed. Thanks for sharing

Zdoom

Runing all over the place

Started the day with a visit to group health in Port Orchard for the kids, then hit the red robin in silverdale for some lunch. When the wife was in Macy's i sat in the mall at the play place was there for about an hour. Headed to Home depot after that and last hit Costco in Silverdale as well. all in all good day only had one comment some one thought they would be helpful and tell me my gun came uncovered, informed them that "no i open carry and that was that" good day.

fire suppressor

Did you OC in the kitsap mall? They have signs up that state no weapons are allowed the signs are small and hard to find but they are there. I use to open carry in the mall until the sign was pointed out to me now I just CC in the mall or Costco for that matter

MadHatter66

Did you OC in the kitsap mall? They have signs up that state no weapons are allowed the signs are small and hard to find but they are there. I use to open carry in the mall until the sign was pointed out to me now I just CC in the mall or Costco for that matter

The mall has 8.5x11 sheets posted just inside the door with all the mall policies in like 6 font, so you need to really look for them. Security will light you up for OC in the mall if they see it. They have actually called 911 for OC in the mall to have people trespassed. As for Costco in Silverdale, I actually OC there all the time, so Costco is a YMMV kind of place.

Zdoom

went in to the mall from a store i will have to check the main entrances i did not see any signs. from the store in the the mall area and the security that saw me did not say anything.
thanks for the info.

MadHatter66

went in to the mall from a store i will have to check the main entrances i did not see any signs. from the store in the the mall area and the security that saw me did not say anything.
thanks for the info.

They are not on the doors, there is a laminated paper that is usually all the way to one side of doors on the wall inside the mall. If you go in the food court entrance turn right and go towards the bathrooms, look just before that hallway there is a paper with all the mall rules. That is the only one that I am sure of a location on, but I am sure there are others in the mall. If you are looking for a visible "NO GUNS" or "NO WEAPONS" sign at the Kitsap Mall there are none... Guess its a hit or miss with Mall security then, because I know they have trespassed people for OC before. I am thinking that they didn't see the gun on your hip.

Last edited:

fire suppressor

If you walk in through the department stores I have looked and can not find a sign. If you come in through the food court or the entrance near AT&T there are signs posted on the walls. Small about the size of a normal sheet of paper. Not easy to find unless you are looking for them. The problem is they specify weapons are off limit to the entire mall not just the common areas. I use to open carry in the mall until I had a really friendly security guard show me the signs one day. He told me he carrys him self and did want me to get in trouble. He didn't ask me to take it out to my car he only asked me to cover it up so no one ells would bather me, really cool guy. If you read all the rules it also says no one is allowed to swear and proper attire must be worn so I think they pick and chose what rules they want to enforce :)

Zdoom

ya i cam in though a department store so i did not say anything but thank you very much for the info the more areas i know about that are anti carry the better. don't really matter as i go to the mall one time a year maybe twice. so from now one cover it up or leave it in the car or just don't go.

MadHatter66

Went out to home depot, target, and star bucks no issues good night

This is the norm for Kitsap... I have been OC around the area for the past 4 years and never had a problem. I even have started to OC in Costco, just to see what the reaction might be. So far after about 6 months its been fine, as people on around the area have mentioned various Costco's are, although their policy no weapons. Occasionally I have people ask about OC, but I have never had anyone say anything negative about it. The mall now is the only place I don't OC... I usually just carry about 10 pamphlets and hand them out and explain it to people when they ask. I know most of the cops in the county are not only OK with it, most support it.

Trigger Dr

Port Orchard has been a non issue for OC for quite some time. It will get better as the new Mayor, Tim Mathis, was one of the attendees at the FIRST Kitsap OC picnic that I sponsored in 2008. Tim was a county commissioner at that time and desperately wanted to be the one to scrape the no guns sign off the front door of the Admin building.

Zdoom

So today went to home depot Costco then hit the gun range with the son Breaking in the new pistol and i can tell i need some practice with it. after that hit wall-mart and then big 5 no issues had one gentleman thank me for carrying and an elderly couple ask what i was carrying. all in all was a good day.

Vitaeus

Out and about on Wednesday,

Boerner's Firearms in Gorst looking for holster and magazines for my new Sig 2022, no objections, but did find the service lackluster.
Lil Ceaser's on 11th, no issues.
La Leche League meeting over by Wal-mart in bremerton, none of the mom's or kids even batted an eye. My wife had to encourage me to wear it in though, thank you dear.

Annoyed I couldn't stop at the PO Box on the way home, damn useless Federal Regulations.

MadHatter66

Boerner's Firearms in Gorst looking for holster and magazines for my new Sig 2022, no objections, but did find the service lackluster.

Boerner's is about as anti-OC as I have ever found, or at least was the last two times I went in there. The last incident was when I went in there looking for ammo and was told to "COVER THAT" in a gun store of all places. I asked him to clarify and he said he knows the law, didn't agree with the OC crowd and didn't like OC and didn't want it in his store. I can respect his private property rights, but not his opinion. That was the last time I ever went there. I will go out of my way to avoid Boerner's now...

One other time before I was looking at something, and a guy was asking about OC and they told him he was a moron, that he would be arrested and lose his gun rights if he tried. I politely interjected I had been OC for some time and never had any problems, and that it was perfectly legal. He just called me stupid, told me I was courting trouble and must be "one of those people......." Wasn't even sure what he meant by that one... I left and so did the other guy, we talked in the parking lot for a bit though about OC.

The guys there must have finally changed their tune...