• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The First 2011 Wisconsin Hwy 67 Adopt A Highway Cleanup and Picnic - Sat. July 30th

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Hi everybody!

We're getting geared up for our first Open Carry Adopt A Highway Cleanup and Picnic of the year on July 30th at 10:00am. This will be our third year of giving something back to the community and showing everybody that we are just regular citizens who happen to believe in the RKBA. So far the following people have said that they will participate in the project; I will add your name to the list when you commit to be there:

1. springfield 1911
  2. davegran
  3. *davegran's wife
  4. *Johnny Stiletto
  5. rcawdor57
  6. AaronS
  7. *XDFDE45
  8. Tom Maassen
*Possible participants

For you new people, our
section of roadway is just south of Dousman, WI on Hyw 67 and runs on both sides of the road from cty C Northward to the first intersection with cty D. We're going to meet at 10:00am on cty D just north of our section. The following map should make it all more clear. Old hands - try to locate your reflective vests from past years and we'll scare up some new ones for the new folks.

If we can get 15-20 volunteers, we can knock this project out in 1-1/2 hours of enjoyable outdoor activity, getting to know other members better, and being ambassadors for the RKBA; then we get to the best part, picnicking! :monkey

[align=center]
2ufvlmw.jpg

[/align]After we meet and get organized into teams, then we'll drive out and park along the road at our respective starting points, gun up, and get to work. We'll work toward the south first on the East side of the road and then north on the West side; that way our sidearms will always be visible to the passing traffic. When you are done with your section on the East side of the road, cross over and work back north to complete the other side. When you're done, you can help any other teams that haven't finished yet.

After the highway pickup is completed, we'll have a picnic at a local park. Details to be posted later. springfield 1911 & I have put the date far enough out so the pickup can be first on your calendar!

Here is what Johnny Stiletto said last year about preparing for the pickup:
Also...
A few things to consider bringing to the clean-up would be:

Gloves (These are a must!
Trash Poker or "Idiot Stick" (Build your own, they come in handy if you don't like constantly bending over)
Water
Pants (Ticks!)
Suntan lotion
Bug Spray
Folding chair (If you plan to stay for the potluck)
Gun (Obviously :quirky)

Be sure to watch the [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Adopt-A-Highway Safety Training Video if you haven't done so already:
http://media1.wi.gov/DOT/Viewer/?peid=c9049406-56c7-4515-8fbd-a06164d1a862
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
That's about it for now. As the date gets closer, we'll flesh out the details. Let us know if you want to be added to the list of Second Amendment Volunteers/Educators/Picnickers. WisDOT says workers have to be at least 11 years old, so let's put the kids to work, too!

Thanks,
Dave
263yh3s.jpg

Last edited:

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Sounds Good! I Think I Can Be There!

Dave, put me down for that. I don't think I have anything to attend to that day.

I still have my "Trash Stick" from last year for stabbing those pesky pieces of trash. I attended a different cleanup event but it was in the same area as this one.

Maybe we can get McX to join us?

davegran

Dave, put me down for that. I don't think I have anything to attend to that day.

I still have my "Trash Stick" from last year for stabbing those pesky pieces of trash. I attended a different cleanup event but it was in the same area as this one.

Maybe we can get McX to join us?
O.K., you're in, big guy. I don't think McX does Saturdays.... :cry:

AaronS

Better put me down also.
Year 3, has it been that long? Sure have had a lot of stuff happen in that time.
Won't be the same without Jesus...

protias

I've been trying to get in touch with Johnny Stiletto about the Highway Cleanup. Does anybody know his email addy or another sure-fire way of contacting him?
I'm sure the WCI staff have his contact info.

Fast Ed

I appreciate the invite to the clean-up and the work done by all who participate. Unfortunately for me, I will be traveling back from a Colorado vacation on that weekend and will be unable to attend. I watch the announcements for meet and greets close to me, but as of yet have been unable to get to any of the events.

Hope you all have a great day, great weather, great fellowship, and a great time.

Fast Ed

davegran

Another reason to help with the pickup....

After the pickup and picnic if you're looking for something interesting to do in the Dousman area, this is happening right in town:
AngelsGrace Bike Show at Cory Park in Downtown Dousman Held in honor of Judith A. Kerzner, AngelsGrace Bike Show raises money for AngelsGrace Hospice. It is held in conjunction with Dousman Derby Days. Motorcycle collectors, builders, and enthusiasts will show their motorcycles and have the opportunity to win custom-made trophies for first place, second place, third place, Best of Show, and Judy’s Choice.
Bring your camera if you dig motorcycles! :banana:

davegran

We'll have lots of people driving by during our pickup!

Whoo-boy! There is a lot going on in Dousman the weekend of the 30th! Check it out!
This year will mark the 56th Annual Dousman Derby Days celebration.

The celebration is held the last full weekend every year in July and includes fun for every age. This year holds a carnival, food and beer tents, a softball tournament, live music, a parade, and the Wisconsin State Championship Frog Jump.

Of all the activities offered the Frog Jump and the Parade seem to be a definite favorite. The Parade will be held Sunday morning at 11:00, however if you want a good seat along Main Street plan on getting there early to reserve your spot. Bands, old cars, area business floats, and fire trucks from surrounding communities are just some of the things that can be seen in the parade. Make sure the kids bring a bag because parade participants will be tossing candy as they go by.

The frog jump is held on Saturday and Sunday; if you are not able to catch your own frog along the Bark River frogs are available at the park for just one dollar. Contestants compete by getting down behind their frogs and pounding on the ground to make them jump, there is a time limit and the contestant’s frog is only allowed three jumps. After the third jump the judges will measure how many feet the frog has gone. The winner receives a trophy, a ribbon, one-hundred dollars, and a ride on the back of a convertible in Sunday’s parade.

Friday night music will be provided by Dirty Boogie. 76 Juliet will perform Saturday night and Mad Pole Cats will perform Sunday to wrap up the weekend. All of these great things will kick off Friday night at 6:00. Here is the complete schedule:

Dousman Derby Days is July 29 through 31...

July 29th

6pm: Men's Softball Tournament

6pm: Food & Beer Tents Open

6pm: Big H Amusements Carnival

7pm-11pm: Live music by Dirty Boogie - Main Stage

July30th

8am: Softball Tournament continues

Noon: Food & Beer Tents Open

Noon: Big H Amusements Carnival including Unlimited Rides from 1-5pm with Wristband purchase.

1-4pm: Wisc State Championship Frog Jump Competition

2pm: Main Stage Dance Academy - Main Stage

5pm: All Star Wrestling - Main Stage

8pm-Midnight: Live music by 76 Juliet - Main Stage

July 31st

11am: Gigantic Parade on Main St & Ottawa Ave

Immediately following the parade: UW Madison 5th Quarter Marching Band - Main Stage

Noon: Food & Beer Tents

Noon: Big H Amusements Carnival

12:30-4pm: Wisc State Championship Frog Jump Competition

1pm: Chicken BBQ

1-5pm: Live music by Mad Pole Cats - Main Stage

2-5pm: Dousman Frogs vs. Delavan, Land of Lakes Hardball Game
Unless somebody who lives close by lets us have the picnic at their place, there isn't an open venue to have it at! Any offers? The alternative is just to head for the Food & Beer tents when we're done with the pickup. Of course that will mean putting away our sidearms. :(

davegran

New members, this is another good way to meet forum members!

This picture will bring back some memories of the good times we've had on the Adopt-a-Highway get togethers of past years. Recognize anybody?
2mpyiwy.jpg

I hope there are some more people out there who would like to join us for a few hours of giving back to the community; I don't remember any other activities scheduled for that Saturday.

TaurusToter

Campaign Veteran
Any more info on this Saturday?

I've got utility "Men Working" signs I can bring along, and a couple of safety vests if anyone needs them.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
I Could Use A Vest If Someone Has An Extra....

So far, so good. Nothing has come up to prevent me from being there this Saturday. Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Carry On!

XDFDE45

I have to check to see if I have to work Saturday but hopefully not. Also I will need a vest if there are any extras and anything I should bring for the picnic?

Last edited:

davegran

Any more info on this Saturday?

I've got utility "Men Working" signs I can bring along, and a couple of safety vests if anyone needs them.
Yes, please bring whatever materials you can. I wasn't able to get in touch with Johnny Stiletto who was originally in charge and had all the "stuff". If anybody else has extra vests, please bring them. I'm also asking each person to bring one large garbage bag.

In view of all the activities in Dousman and surrounding area because of Dousman Derby Days, there is no place to have a picnic; and nobody living in the area stepped forward to offer a place for one, either. I'm sorry, but the picnic is canceled.

These are the volunteers who have signed up so far; how about some more forum members? Giving back to the community is always good for our public image. All participants must be at least 11 years of age or in the 6th grade, so bring the kids, too. See you at 10:00 on Saturday. The first post in this thread should answer most questions.

1. springfield 1911
  2. davegran
  3. *davegran's wife
  4. *Johnny Stiletto
  5. rcawdor57
  6. AaronS
  7. *XDFDE45
  8. TaurusToter
*Possible participants

Last edited: