Thread: Yet another encounter with a business

Yet another encounter with a business

I dont know whats goin on here. Is it just me, or does everyone have this many encounters with businesses and people in general?

I was buying some fireword with my boy today at Uncle Sams just off 41 in Howard, and whom I supposed was the owner came and asked me if I was an LEO? I responded no, just exercising my 2nd amendment rights.

He asked if I was just making a point, and I said self protection, then said it was not normal to see someone do it. I said its going to be more mainstream soon.

Then he said I didnt look like a psycho with a kid , but just had to ask. I said if youre uncomfortable with it, or dont want me here I will leave.

He said no its fine, just never seen it before.

Amicable, but I've been getting more and more stops by people. So I ask, it is just me, or does everyone get them all the time?

BTW, I know looks shouldnt play a part in someone OC'ing, but for the record I dont look like a hostile, thug, hoodlum, bad guy, or any of the above.

Its like nobody has seen the news in the last three years.

Quote Originally Posted by turbojohn41 View Post
    Its like nobody has seen the news in the last three years.
    Thats what I was thinking! Or is it that they have been watching and now are looking out more for it?

I love these encounters. It gives me the perfect opportunity to inform the person about open carry, the law and why I carry.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Yesterday I was walked into a local fast food joint and a guy on his way out tried to do a nonchalant triple take. But it was completely obvious.
    Last edited by Motofixxer; 07-02-2011 at 02:45 PM.
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

Quote Originally Posted by deadlifter View Post
    Thats what I was thinking! Or is it that they have been watching and now are looking out more for it?
    If they have been watching then they should know it's legal to open carry in Wisconsin. Its been covered alot.
    Last edited by turbojohn41; 07-02-2011 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    I love these encounters. It gives me the perfect opportunity to inform the person about open carry, the law and why I carry.
    Yep, this is a great time to hand out a few WCI cards. Hope ya got some, sounds like ya might need 'em.

Summer time seems to get more... Attention? I've never really heard anything in the winter about oc. (From business owners) However, last weekend I was asked "is that a bb gun?" Never heard that one before.
    "I don't really care for "cream cheese"..."

Could have said "yes, it's a BB gun on steroids"
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

Could someone point me in the direction of the business cards please.

Quote Originally Posted by Motofixxer View Post
    Could have said "yes, it's a BB gun on steroids"
    It's something like a bb gun, only it fires 185 grain hollow points... Lol.

Could someone point me in the direction of the business cards please.
    PM Nik and he should be able to send some to you.
    Wisconsin Carry Member
    My Castle Doctrine Law

Don't wish ill upon your enemy......plan it.

I run into it every now and again...The "Are you a Cop or Security ?" line of questions.

In fact,just got it again last week in Piggly Wiggly in Arcadia and I was wearin my
    Wi Open Carry T-shirt too.

While its sorta fun educating the general population....I also see it as a major PIA.

We all know the saying.."If you dont know your Rights....You dont have any."

Its True.
    But what I find truly amazing is how so many people have allowed themselves to become Sheeple willing to be blindly led around.

What else I find amazing is that when I lived in Cudahy and had my run-in with the entire night shift of the Cudahy PD on an incident they created,The Officers voiced the opinion that OC wasnt necessary in a City,and felt it was more deserved "Up North"...

"Up North" is a direction....Not a location,And now that I live "Up North" it still amazes me how much people want to just stick their head in the sand and pretend to be ignorant.

LR Yote
    *NOTE: No Longer under the tyranny of Milwaukee County.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    - Frank Outlaw

Quote Originally Posted by deadlifter
    I've been getting more and more stops by people.
    So I ask, it is just me, or does everyone get them all the time?
    I rarely get them, but so far they've all been amicable (other than a certain PD interaction...)
    Also, so far they've all (but two) been men. The younger ones want to know how they can carry, the older ones seem to treat me as some kind of oddity, thinking women don't carry.

Quote Originally Posted by deadlifter
    is it that they have been watching [the news] and now are looking out more for it?
    Might be just because the topic is in the news, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Motofixxer
    tried to do a nonchalant triple take
    LOL! Is that even possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Mlutz
    "is that a bb gun?"
    Yes, Big & Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

You must remember what I carry... Lol.

I said if youre uncomfortable with it, or dont want me here I will leave.

He said no its fine, just never seen it before.
    Overall good interaction but don't leave any door open for him to decide to infringe your rights. Let him get up the guts to tell you that and don't offer it as an option!

Quote Originally Posted by smithman View Post
    Overall good interaction but don't leave any door open for him to decide to infringe your rights. Let him get up the guts to tell you that and don't offer it as an option!
    I agree. After I had said I realized I shouldnt have gave him an opportunity. At the moment I said it the only thing on my mind was keeping a positive image for the OC community. I will make sure I chose my words a little more wisely from here on in.

Each time you talk with somebody, the conversation will get easier. Now the next similar conversation, you will probably say something different because you won't be so caught off guard. You will have a moment to think of what you want to say. You remained calm, polite and respectful. That's the most important thing.

Quote Originally Posted by LR Yote 312 View Post

"Up North" is a direction....Not a location,And now that I live "Up North" it still amazes me how much people want to just stick their head in the sand and pretend to be ignorant.

LR Yote
    Isn't everything North of the Mexican border considered "North"? Maybe I've been living in WI to long, but I consider everything South of my present location the "South" and everything North of me is "North". Maybe those cops never patrolled "the North side of town".......

A compass direction has no bearing on a robbery or any personal defense situation. I find it funny that because you were "in the city" that the cop felt personal protection wasn't required. On the news last night saw a story about a guy who went "hunting" and killed 6 people, including his 12 year old daughter, before he turned the gun on himself. I'm fairly certain that happened in a "city" and not "Up North"
    A criminal can have a gun, so why can't I?

Member - Wisconsin Carry, Inc. http://www.wisconsincarry.org
    Member of West Bend Barton Sportsman's Club - http://www.wbbsc.com