• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Yet another encounter with a business

deadlifter

I dont know whats goin on here. Is it just me, or does everyone have this many encounters with businesses and people in general?

I was buying some fireword with my boy today at Uncle Sams just off 41 in Howard, and whom I supposed was the owner came and asked me if I was an LEO? I responded no, just exercising my 2nd amendment rights.

He asked if I was just making a point, and I said self protection, then said it was not normal to see someone do it. I said its going to be more mainstream soon.

Then he said I didnt look like a psycho with a kid , but just had to ask. I said if youre uncomfortable with it, or dont want me here I will leave.

He said no its fine, just never seen it before.

Amicable, but I've been getting more and more stops by people. So I ask, it is just me, or does everyone get them all the time?

BTW, I know looks shouldnt play a part in someone OC'ing, but for the record I dont look like a hostile, thug, hoodlum, bad guy, or any of the above.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I love these encounters. It gives me the perfect opportunity to inform the person about open carry, the law and why I carry.

Motofixxer

Yesterday I was walked into a local fast food joint and a guy on his way out tried to do a nonchalant triple take. But it was completely obvious.

Last edited:

Mlutz

Summer time seems to get more... Attention? I've never really heard anything in the winter about oc. (From business owners) However, last weekend I was asked "is that a bb gun?" Never heard that one before.

LR Yote 312

I run into it every now and again...The "Are you a Cop or Security ?" line of questions.

In fact,just got it again last week in Piggly Wiggly in Arcadia and I was wearin my
Wi Open Carry T-shirt too.

While its sorta fun educating the general population....I also see it as a major PIA.

We all know the saying.."If you dont know your Rights....You dont have any."

Its True.
But what I find truly amazing is how so many people have allowed themselves to become Sheeple willing to be blindly led around.

What else I find amazing is that when I lived in Cudahy and had my run-in with the entire night shift of the Cudahy PD on an incident they created,The Officers voiced the opinion that OC wasnt necessary in a City,and felt it was more deserved "Up North"...

"Up North" is a direction....Not a location,And now that I live "Up North" it still amazes me how much people want to just stick their head in the sand and pretend to be ignorant.

LR Yote

MKEgal

deadlifter said:
I've been getting more and more stops by people.
So I ask, it is just me, or does everyone get them all the time?
I rarely get them, but so far they've all been amicable (other than a certain PD interaction...)
Also, so far they've all (but two) been men. The younger ones want to know how they can carry, the older ones seem to treat me as some kind of oddity, thinking women don't carry.

deadlifter said:
is it that they have been watching [the news] and now are looking out more for it?
Might be just because the topic is in the news, yes.

Motofixxer said:
tried to do a nonchalant triple take
LOL! Is that even possible?

Mlutz said:
"is that a bb gun?"
Yes, Big & Black.

smithman

I said if youre uncomfortable with it, or dont want me here I will leave.

He said no its fine, just never seen it before.

Overall good interaction but don't leave any door open for him to decide to infringe your rights. Let him get up the guts to tell you that and don't offer it as an option!

deadlifter

Overall good interaction but don't leave any door open for him to decide to infringe your rights. Let him get up the guts to tell you that and don't offer it as an option!

I agree. After I had said I realized I shouldnt have gave him an opportunity. At the moment I said it the only thing on my mind was keeping a positive image for the OC community. I will make sure I chose my words a little more wisely from here on in.

Motofixxer

Each time you talk with somebody, the conversation will get easier. Now the next similar conversation, you will probably say something different because you won't be so caught off guard. You will have a moment to think of what you want to say. You remained calm, polite and respectful. That's the most important thing.

Tom Maassen

"Up North" is a direction....Not a location,And now that I live "Up North" it still amazes me how much people want to just stick their head in the sand and pretend to be ignorant.

LR Yote

Isn't everything North of the Mexican border considered "North"? Maybe I've been living in WI to long, but I consider everything South of my present location the "South" and everything North of me is "North". Maybe those cops never patrolled "the North side of town".......

A compass direction has no bearing on a robbery or any personal defense situation. I find it funny that because you were "in the city" that the cop felt personal protection wasn't required. On the news last night saw a story about a guy who went "hunting" and killed 6 people, including his 12 year old daughter, before he turned the gun on himself. I'm fairly certain that happened in a "city" and not "Up North"