• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed Carry Training class: Pewaukee

Motofixxer

Waukesha County Technical College is hosting a training class for anyone interested. Here is all the information.

Attachments

• Conceal Carry for Civilians Summer 2011.pdf
    67.3 KB · Views: 929

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
"Firing exercises will be done on a shooting simulator"

Yes, because that is a much better way to learn to use a gun rather than actually shooting one. Any class catering to new shooters should have a live firing component.

Da Po-lock

So much for the supposed $50 training as stated in the bill.
Guess I'll hafta send in the MD certificate I have.

Last edited:

MKEgal

They sure threw that together fast!
SB93 hasn't even been signed...
It is more comprehensive than required by law, which I can't say is a bad thing.

Interesting that it's being offered on campus, since they have a no-weapons policy.
Wonder if that's going to be changing, or if they're going to try & keep the policy but not post the buildings, or if they plan to post?

Motofixxer

It would be funny to walk in with a printout of the school policy and say hey teacher "this policy here, says we can't have these(holding up encased firearm) on school property"

protias

It would be funny to walk in with a printout of the school policy and say hey teacher "this policy here, says we can't have these(holding up encased firearm) on school property"
It may be worth it to pay for the class to just do that. :p

http://www.wctc.edu/student_services/student_life/code_of_conduct/article2.php

Weapons, or look-alike weapons, are not allowed on WCTC property. A weapon is any type of firearm (whether or not a permit is obtained); switchblade; knives (excluding eating utensils); a jackknife with a blade longer than two inches; metal knuckles; explosives; compressed gas operated weapons; electric weapons as defined by federal, state and local law; hunting archery equipment; thrust or movement; martial arts weapons, and any other device, which based on the manner it is used or is intended to be used, is calculated or likely to produce bodily harm. Exceptions include knives possessed, transported or used by staff and students in the normal course of an educational program, provided that such possession, transport or use is not intended or likely to produce bodily harm. Pepper Spray, as allowed by state law, is not to be considered a prohibited weapon provided the spray is only used for personal defense. Possession, transport of, use of weapons by individuals who are required to carry a weapon as part of their employment or education program, such as police science students and instructors and police officers, provided that such possession, transport or use is in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and is in accordance with employment or educational requirements.

MKEgal

Their prohibition of firearms is illegal unless they post the buildings...
Maybe next time I'm out that way I'll have a look.

A weapon is any type of firearm (whether or not a permit is obtained)
That's been changed recently.

Sanctions are intended to challenge students’ moral and ethical decision-making and to help them bring their behavior into accord with our community expectations.
...standards of conduct embodied within a set of core values that include integrity, respect, community and responsibility.
Their 'community expectations' appear to be that everyone be defenseless.
How can that possibly be either moral or ethical?
And if they want to foster responsibility, why do they try to nanny everyone to death?

b.Any situation where it appears that the student may present a danger or threat to the health or safety of him/herself or others.
1.Threatening or causing physical harm... or other conduct which threatens or endangers the health or safety of any person;
2.Intimidation (implied threats)
Oh, yeah, this is what they'd use against someone caught carrying.

c.Any situation that significantly impinges upon the rights, property or achievements of self or others or significantly breaches the peace and/or causes social disorder.
But they'd have no problem 'impinging' my rights, & they're a gov't school, so they are actually illegally infringing them.

m.The welfare of students in our community is of paramount importance.
If that were true, they'd allow carry.

p.It has become common for students accused of policy violations to try to defend their actions with excuses, such as... self-defense...
WCTC’s policy on defenses is clear. Defending your actions is admitting to a policy violation.
While your defense will not excuse your actions, WCTC will take the legitimacy of your defense into consideration in addressing the proper sanction. If you were not the aggressor in a fight, you may still be sanctioned, but your sanction may be lesser than the sanction of the person who started the fight.
:banghead:
So someone defending herself against attack will still get punished by the campus morals squad, but if she doesn't raise a hand to protect herself, that's morally superior?
:mad:

Wonder what they'd do w/ an SCCC chapter? :rolleyes:

M

McX

you guys realize WisconsinCarry is on the case, and is organizing the training we need to be announced shortly.

dmworken

WCTC Conceal Carry Class for Citizens

Question, What's with this Competency Evaluation ?? Dan flip this over to me at work Friday.. and how would it affect someone trying to get a permit..

Range Rat.

It appears to be a decent course. However, you are now in the eyes of the DOJ Instructors. They will evaluate you during the time you are there. They will ascertain your personality and character as well as your handling of your handgun and during the simulation.

As a retired Maritime Law Enforcement Officer with the US Dept. of Homeland Security, I went through hours of hours of training. Not every one gets this type of training. I admit, there are many people who has a good head on their shoulders and are of sound mind. I would be proud to be along side you AND have you cover my six.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Pre-SB93, does DOJ certify instructors? If not, how can they already be certified?

I believe DOJ certifies law enforcement firearms instructors already. I don't believe they have a process to certify non-law enforcement instructors yet.

But under the bill, DOJ-certified instructors are not the only instructors who can provide training that meets the standards (such as they are) of the bill. It also includes instruction provide by instructors who have been certified by a national or state organization that certifies firearms instructors. The NRA would be the most obvious and largest such organization.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
you guys realize WisconsinCarry is on the case, and is organizing the training we need to be announced shortly.

That's news to me! I think it's more accurate to say WCI is in the exploratory stage at this point. WCI is looking at a number of options and ways to approach it. I wouldn't expect much in the way of announcements "shortly."

Don't confuse my training with WCI-sponsored training. My course is not endorsed nor sponsored by WCI. I have stated that I'm willing to reserve a few slots for people who are WCI members (as of yesterday) to attend my course for free. That's just my personal way of showing appreciation to members who have given their support to WCI and made it a highly effective organization in under two years time. I also intend to give a discount to veterans, senior citizens, and people who have a current valid restraining order against another person. Sorry, if you're an elderly veteran with a valid restraining order you'll still only get one discount!

When WCI begins to provide sponsored training I'll be willing and proud to participate in that activity as well if there is a role for me to play. All WCI activities are, as always, volunteered unpaid time.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
I believe this is the list they are talking about.

I believe that's a list of people certified by the Department of Regulation and Licensing to train and certify private security guards and private detectives for carrying guns on the job. It's not a list of DOJ certified instructors.

dmworken

I believe that's a list of people certified by the Department of Regulation and Licensing to train and certify private security guards and private detectives for carrying guns on the job. It's not a list of DOJ certified instructors.

You are correct to say that. However, I also believe a few of these people are certified by DOJ. I just do not know which ones.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Actually, never mind. It fits under 175.60(4)(a)(1)(c)

c. A firearms safety or training course that is available
to the public and is offered by a law enforcement
agency or, if the course is taught by an instructor who is
certified by a national or state organization that certifies
firearms instructors or by the department, by a technical
college
, a college or a university, a private or public institution
or organization, or a firearms training school.

Deadscott

A firearms safety or training course that is available
to the public and is offered by a law enforcement
agency or,

Unless Governor Walker uses his veto pen, it looks like the Free Online Maryland Police Training Course meets the requirements also.