• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed / open carry while hunting? OK?

protias

I believe if the handgun is under 5" you are ok. We talked about this briefly at Lizzy's on Friday, but I am not a hunter, so don't take my word as gospel on this one.

hermannr

Could you Open carry a pistol for self defence while hunting before? That would be your biggest clue.

If so, it would be the same as here in WA...you can CC (with a permit, even though while recreating here you do not need a permit to cc) or OC while hunting, if it is for personal protection.

You cannot use that carry weapon to dispatch injured game in archery or black powder season, but you can use it on game during modern firearms season if it is .25 cal or larger. (assuming you have a hunting license)

If you are not hunting, (during hunting season), but you are hiking etc, it is still legal to carry OC or CC as long as you do not shoot game animals with you carry weapon.

Is there anything in you game regs different than that? It will be in the game regs, it is not in your new law.

smithman

Like was said, the newest regs haven't been published yet. I don't know if the DNR has the authority to mandate that all handguns are carried openly. Given their past, they may try to do this anyways, but we'll see. There is a difference in being in possession of a handgun and hunting with a handgun. If you have a shotgun or rifle, a warden may reasonably assume you are hunting with that instead of your sidearm with too-short of a barrel.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Like was said, the newest regs haven't been published yet. I don't know if the DNR has the authority to mandate that all handguns are carried openly. Given their past, they may try to do this anyways, but we'll see. There is a difference in being in possession of a handgun and hunting with a handgun. If you have a shotgun or rifle, a warden may reasonably assume you are hunting with that instead of your sidearm with too-short of a barrel.
Would the AG's opinion carry any weight with the DNR or are they a law unto themselves?

Da Po-lock

Carry while hunting ~ HELL YEAH.......

My wife and I ALWAYS carry the .40's while hunting (bow hunting especially) for personal protection and that aint gonna stop either no matter what the DNR says or wants.

I talked to a wolf trapper last fall about wolf trapping danger signs we found posted in an area we hunt. He was from Rhinelander and works eor the USDA and he told me he was trapping a local pack, testing their DNA to see if they were dog/wolf mix and destroying them if they were. Apparently juvenile wolves breed with wild dogs and he told me they are highly aggressive.

He also asked my if we saw any sign of mountain lions in the area and asked me to report anything we may find to him.

Then there is the illegal pot growing in Florence county.

We carry shotguns or rifles for hunting and handguns for protection.

...........Anit gonna get chewed up by any wolf or lion Po-lock

Interceptor_Knight

If you read NR10 and the Statutes in Chapter 29, you will see regulations/restrictions on firearms for hunting and you will see specific prohibitions of possession. You are not prohibited from possessing a handgun of any caliber or barrel length for defense while deer, bear, etc hunting with a rifle or a bow or while small game hunting with a rifle. You are not prohibited from hunting with a concealed firearm. You are not prohibited from hunting with a suppressed short barrel rifle.
So long as you have 1 firearm or bow legal to hunt the game you are "hunting" you may have a second in your possession. It is legal because it is not prohibited.

Last edited:

Interceptor_Knight

This is from the DNR FAQ on the web site... It echos what I have been saying.... You may carry any caliber or barrel length but may not use it to "hunt" if it is not in the proper configuration and you may not even use it for a "kill" shot (example is if you shot a deer with a bow and it is not dying fast enough for your comfort).
http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/faq/weapons/Q2.htm

Is it legal to carry a handgun while hunting with a bow or other weapon?
It is legal to carry a handgun while you are hunting but make sure that you are not violating any local ordinances or state laws by carrying one (such as carrying a concealed weapon). You must be 18 years old to hunt with or possess a handgun. It is only legal to use a handgun for species that can be legally hunted with a handgun. A handgun cannot be used to kill a deer you first shot and wounded with your bow.

Last edited:

ksks

State Statute trumps DNR Admin Code. I gave an example in the 24hour ban thread. Not even the DNR is crazy enough to attempt a battle with Concealed Carry at this point..... They have no reason to...

I.K.

Not to be pushy here, just askin'.

You seem to have a good handle on all this with very thoughtful analysis.

Would you be willing to write a detailed letter to the DNR to ask all these questions, and maybe get them to clarify some of the inconsistencies and questions? I don't know if the AG would respond, but maybe a copy to him as well.

I you wanted to post a sample letter, you could get comments from folks here as well.

Will ya, please, huh, will ya.

ksks

Interceptor_Knight

I.K.

Not to be pushy here, just askin'.

You seem to have a good handle on all this with very thoughtful analysis.

Would you be willing to write a detailed letter to the DNR to ask all these questions, and maybe get them to clarify some of the inconsistencies and questions? I don't know if the AG would respond, but maybe a copy to him as well.

I you wanted to post a sample letter, you could get comments from folks here as well.

Will ya, please, huh, will ya.

ksks

PM Sent