• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Qualified!!!

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
Our CCW instructor requires both classroom instruction and qualification on the shooting range. So today, my wife, pardner and myself went to do the shooting qualification at their range.

The requirement was to score 160 or better out of 200 to qualify. My wife, who just about a week ago had eye surgery, came in with a 188 using her Walther PK 380 semiauto handgun. I managed a 191 with my XDm .40 cal. My pardner turned in the best score of the day with a 196 using his compact Sig .40.

Along with qualifying requirements, we also got practice in proper drawing technique, firing from retention, firing from close quarters and distance shooting. We all returned home happy to have that particular piece of our CCW class complete, despite having already applied for our CCW permits less than a week ago.

With any luck, we'll all soon have those CCW's in hand. Meanwhile, I am perfectly content to open carry as I go about my daily business. Even after I get the permit, I am likely to still OC as the mood strikes me.

Hope everybody has a terrific 4th of July.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Lokster

Howdy M-Taliesin-

Congrats to all of ya for successfully completing the course!

I took the Basic Pistol Course in 07 and passed with flying colors, but can't remember for the life of me what my score came out to be. Oh, well. I passed and I am having fun training at an indoor range a couple times a month or however often my budget allows.

Be well and good luck with the permit!

RandallFlagg

Outstanding gun control there, friend!
When your County Sheriff calls for you to come pick up your CCW, might I strongly suggest the Supertuck IWB holster? I've been carrying with this for almost 2 months and it's an extremely well made product.
I just ordered another one for my .45 XDM.
If you order now, they might deliver it in time for your CCW to be approved.
(GAD! I sound like a commercial here!)

M-Taliesin

Outstanding gun control there, friend!
When your County Sheriff calls for you to come pick up your CCW, might I strongly suggest the Supertuck IWB holster? I've been carrying with this for almost 2 months and it's an extremely well made product.
I just ordered another one for my .45 XDM.
If you order now, they might deliver it in time for your CCW to be approved.
(GAD! I sound like a commercial here!)

Howdy Pard!
I get pretty commerical-like when I get keen on a product myself. Guess it goes with the territory. But that being said, I surely do appreciate your advice. I'll look into that. However, it is unlikely to arrive before our CCW permits. The told us we'd see ours in about 2 weeks, because we're being "fast tracked". My wife works for the Sheriff's office, so they get an inside track evidently. And being her dear, faithful husband, I get fast tracked right along with her. I guess it is true, it is about who ya know. My pardner, however, will be cooling his heels for 80 to 85 days. Well, come Tuesday, one week will already be done and we'll start watching the mailbox.

Oh, our sheriff's department sends them in the mail. They already got the fingerprinting done, photos taken, everything they need. We signed our applications before a notary in their office, signed the final product (in advance) so all we need is to clear background check. In order to get her job with the sheriff's office, she already got a much more extensive background check than me or my pardner will ever face. She had the whole sheebang. Psychological testing, polygraph, FBI background, the whole enchillada! So, she's in like Flynn. Me and pardner are not so blessed, however. We've both had some issues during our lifetimes. Don't think they'll matter, but ya never know.

Anyhow, thanks for the suggestion, and I'll certainly look into it.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Polynikes

I too can attest that the Supertuck is about the most comfortable IWB holster there is. I almost prefer it to OC. M-Taliesin, if you're interested in checking out the product before buying, I can bring mine to the OC meet later this month for you to look at.

RandallFlagg

Here's a long (28 minute) YouTube video review of the Supertuck. Best review I've seen to date.
[video]http://youtu.be/da9zigLdY50[/video]

M-Taliesin

I too can attest that the Supertuck is about the most comfortable IWB holster there is. I almost prefer it to OC. M-Taliesin, if you're interested in checking out the product before buying, I can bring mine to the OC meet later this month for you to look at.

Howdy Pard!
Hey yeah! I'd surely appreciate that. Thank you.
It would be nice to see one 'up close and personal' before deciding to order one.
I am a bit gunshy about holsters, after spending a hefty price on a leather IWB holster that gives me problems. So I prefer to learn more before buying holsters in the future.

My CCW instructors (all two of them) are stoked about Raven Concealment Systems. They both (pardon the pun) rave about their gear and say that's the way to go.

I'll be looking forward to seeing the Supertuck and having a chance to check it out.
And I look forward to seeing you on the 16th!

Thanks again amigo!
Blessings,
M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin

Here's a long (28 minute) YouTube video review of the Supertuck. Best review I've seen to date.
[video]http://youtu.be/da9zigLdY50[/video]

Howdy Amigo!
Yes, I checked out the video. A bit longish, but a good review of the holster.
I think I'll be leaning in that direction, especially after learning that Raven Concealment has experienced problems getting holsters out to folks in a timely fashion.

Meanwhile, thanks for the video link.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

since9

Campaign Veteran

I'm intrigued! Which options do you use? V-clips? J-clips? Combat Cut?

Perhaps we can get together somewhere here in the Springs so I can check it out.

RandallFlagg

Perhaps we can get together somewhere here in the Springs so I can check it out.

I know it wasn't directed to me, but I just went with the holster itself. No clips or cuts. It still works great.

The one for my Beretta is cowhide, but I ordered the XDM's holster in Horsehide -I read that it's a bit better.

Polynikes

I didn't spring for any of the extra options. The combat cut looks like it might reduce some comfort, which is important to me given the amount of time I'll be wearing the thing. Draw speed is still very fast. Similarly, the other clips look like they're designed for a bit better concealment, but I usually wear my shirts untucked, so my beltline isn't visible anyway. The regular clips are nice and secure on the 1 1/2" leather belt I use for carry. I'll bring it to the meet on the 16th, so you and M-Taliesin can check it out.