Thread: Touching your openly carried weapon

Touching your openly carried weapon

Does anyone here rest your hand on your weapon while openly carrying?

Does everyone think that a LEO would be nervous by this behavior?

And why are cops always touching their firearms?

Has anyone else pondered why law enforcment is able to do that and we, generally speaking, cannot?

Cops do it mostly because they are the only ones professional enough to do it.

Yjeu gove other reasons, like the weight of the gear on their bat belt is too much and they are constantly needing to pull it up, or that because of where they have the holster "where else am I going to put my hands?" and the like.

In other words, it's all a load of organic manure.

One way of dealing with this behavior is to videotape them and present the video to their bosses (city council or whatever the county equivalent is called) along with a public plea for action to stop the behavior. Be sure to notify the press ahead of time and to have CDs/DVDs to hand out to the elected officials, the press, and the general public.

stay safe.

Do not place your hand on your firearm unless you intend to draw and fire it!

Quote Originally Posted by cash50 View Post

Has anyone else pondered why law enforcment is able to do that and we, generally speaking, cannot?
    1. I do not simply because I don't want someone to over-react.

2. If an LEO saw you with your hand on your gun they would probably draw on you and ask questions after you were on the ground disarmed.

3. Because everyone knows that guns are safer when they are being touched by police officers because they are a higher class of citizen.(sarcasm intended)

4. I have wondered about it, I see it all the time. They do it when they are just walking, not even on a call. Maybe they are checking to make sure they didn't leave it on the trunk of their car...?
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Activist Member
    I never really understood why LEO's do that with there duty pistol, but then again considering there upholders of the law most people don't get nervous around LEO's who rest there hand on their firearm. Regular folks like us might draw a little attention since were not LEO's.

All in all people see police as the protector and expect certain things from them.
    Nothing better than a Glock.........except maybe another Glock!

Quote Originally Posted by cash50 View Post

I would suggest, in my novice opinion... never touch your firearm (OC or CCW) unless you intend to use it. It may prove to be a fatal error! Go to the rest room, close your self into a stall and adjust! Then go directly to a store and get a better fitting belt!
    If you pull it, you use it. If you pull it and you don't use it, you've done some thing wrong and you might not get another chance. Think about it before you pack it!
    I worked 24/7 for 2A OC rights! Don't like what I did? Try it yourself, it was my full time job!
    Certified NRA Range Safety Officer - RSO

I am guilty of this. Sometimes I catch myself resting my forearm on the gun. I try not too. If I need to adjust I usually grab the holster from the bottom (where the barrel rests) and the other side of my belt and pull up. I don't see an issue with it as long as you're not resting your palm down on the gun like you're going to draw it.
    Oh yeah, at times I do purposefully rest my forearm on the gun if I'm in a crowded area or someone is too close behind me. It is a built retention defense type posture. I don't think anyone would grab it but if they were too I'm already locking the pistol in.
    Tiocfaidh Ar La

Quote Originally Posted by ChiangShih View Post
    I am guilty of this. Sometimes I catch myself resting my forearm on the gun. I try not too. If I need to adjust I usually grab the holster from the bottom (where the barrel rests) and the other side of my belt and pull up. I don't see an issue with it as long as you're not resting your palm down on the gun like you're going to draw it.
    Oh yeah, at times I do purposefully rest my forearm on the gun if I'm in a crowded area or someone is too close behind me. It is a built retention defense type posture. I don't think anyone would grab it but if they were too I'm already locking the pistol in.
    I, too, have my forearm in constant contact with my weapon when standing close to people I do not know. Besides being helpful for retention, it reduces visibility for those who are "scared" to see it. I also believe it shows LE that I am aware of my weapon and that my "situational awareness" is in the "on" position. But remember to be cheerful and polite if you want to have a positive public influence.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiangShih View Post
    I often put my forearm against it to kinda keep it covered so as not to scare the sheep... depends. For the most part, today for instance in Troy I didn't do that at all in IMO's. Anyone who knows the local news in Troy won't be surprised to see an OCer.... May be more in the future.
    If you pull it, you use it. If you pull it and you don't use it, you've done some thing wrong and you might not get another chance. Think about it before you pack it!
    I worked 24/7 for 2A OC rights! Don't like what I did? Try it yourself, it was my full time job!

McX
    I often put my forearm against it to kinda keep it covered so as not to scare the sheep... depends.

ditto, keeps them from even pondering a humerous play to them (not to you). no touchy touchy.

Founder's Club Member
    I don't rest my hand on the gun. Partly to avoid giving an unintended implied threat, and partly because Bill Jordan recommended against it because it stretches leather. I think he mentioned this in No Second Place Winners.

Accomplished Advocate
    I like to pull mine out and twirl it like Val Kilmer did the coffee cup in "tombstone" makes me feel good to test the safety on my 1911 that way. :P

Forearm only and with a good gun belt it helps not needing adjustment very often.
    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman University’s School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."

Quote Originally Posted by LMTD View Post
    I like to pull mine out and twirl it like Val Kilmer did the coffee cup in "tombstone" makes me feel good to test the safety on my 1911 that way. :P

Forearm only and with a good gun belt it helps not needing adjustment very often.
    Twirl with a semi - auto, makes the whole thing a bit more entertaining! Be sure there is one in the chamber, safety off!

I do agree with the forearm tactic. Definitely have used that one while in lines. And if need be I will adjust by pulling up the belt, or by the bottom of the holster as Chiang said.

But as a general idea, don't touch your gun. Especially in a gripping motion.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mspgunner View Post
    Twirl with a semi - auto, makes the whole thing a bit more entertaining! Be sure there is one in the chamber, safety off!
    Oh, come on, Mr. Chicken. Tie down that grip safety, too. Then twirl it.

If I need to re adjust my firearm. I use my forearm to do so and that is only if no bathroom is near, but that is just me. I never put my hands on my firearm.