• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Touching your openly carried weapon

cash50

Does anyone here rest your hand on your weapon while openly carrying?

Does everyone think that a LEO would be nervous by this behavior?

And why are cops always touching their firearms?

Has anyone else pondered why law enforcment is able to do that and we, generally speaking, cannot?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Cops do it mostly because they are the only ones professional enough to do it.

Yjeu gove other reasons, like the weight of the gear on their bat belt is too much and they are constantly needing to pull it up, or that because of where they have the holster "where else am I going to put my hands?" and the like.

In other words, it's all a load of organic manure.

One way of dealing with this behavior is to videotape them and present the video to their bosses (city council or whatever the county equivalent is called) along with a public plea for action to stop the behavior. Be sure to notify the press ahead of time and to have CDs/DVDs to hand out to the elected officials, the press, and the general public.

stay safe.

Big Boy

Do not place your hand on your firearm unless you intend to draw and fire it!

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member

Has anyone else pondered why law enforcment is able to do that and we, generally speaking, cannot?

1. I do not simply because I don't want someone to over-react.

2. If an LEO saw you with your hand on your gun they would probably draw on you and ask questions after you were on the ground disarmed.

3. Because everyone knows that guns are safer when they are being touched by police officers because they are a higher class of citizen.(sarcasm intended)

4. I have wondered about it, I see it all the time. They do it when they are just walking, not even on a call. Maybe they are checking to make sure they didn't leave it on the trunk of their car...?

DWCook

Activist Member
I never really understood why LEO's do that with there duty pistol, but then again considering there upholders of the law most people don't get nervous around LEO's who rest there hand on their firearm. Regular folks like us might draw a little attention since were not LEO's.

All in all people see police as the protector and expect certain things from them.

mspgunner

I would suggest, in my novice opinion... never touch your firearm (OC or CCW) unless you intend to use it. It may prove to be a fatal error! Go to the rest room, close your self into a stall and adjust! Then go directly to a store and get a better fitting belt!

ChiangShih

I am guilty of this. Sometimes I catch myself resting my forearm on the gun. I try not too. If I need to adjust I usually grab the holster from the bottom (where the barrel rests) and the other side of my belt and pull up. I don't see an issue with it as long as you're not resting your palm down on the gun like you're going to draw it.
Oh yeah, at times I do purposefully rest my forearm on the gun if I'm in a crowded area or someone is too close behind me. It is a built retention defense type posture. I don't think anyone would grab it but if they were too I'm already locking the pistol in.

peterarthur

I am guilty of this. Sometimes I catch myself resting my forearm on the gun. I try not too. If I need to adjust I usually grab the holster from the bottom (where the barrel rests) and the other side of my belt and pull up. I don't see an issue with it as long as you're not resting your palm down on the gun like you're going to draw it.
Oh yeah, at times I do purposefully rest my forearm on the gun if I'm in a crowded area or someone is too close behind me. It is a built retention defense type posture. I don't think anyone would grab it but if they were too I'm already locking the pistol in.

I, too, have my forearm in constant contact with my weapon when standing close to people I do not know. Besides being helpful for retention, it reduces visibility for those who are "scared" to see it. I also believe it shows LE that I am aware of my weapon and that my "situational awareness" is in the "on" position. But remember to be cheerful and polite if you want to have a positive public influence. :)

mspgunner

I often put my forearm against it to kinda keep it covered so as not to scare the sheep... depends. For the most part, today for instance in Troy I didn't do that at all in IMO's. Anyone who knows the local news in Troy won't be surprised to see an OCer.... May be more in the future.

M

McX

I often put my forearm against it to kinda keep it covered so as not to scare the sheep... depends.

ditto, keeps them from even pondering a humerous play to them (not to you). no touchy touchy.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I don't rest my hand on the gun. Partly to avoid giving an unintended implied threat, and partly because Bill Jordan recommended against it because it stretches leather. I think he mentioned this in No Second Place Winners.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
I like to pull mine out and twirl it like Val Kilmer did the coffee cup in "tombstone" makes me feel good to test the safety on my 1911 that way. :p

Forearm only and with a good gun belt it helps not needing adjustment very often.

mspgunner

I like to pull mine out and twirl it like Val Kilmer did the coffee cup in "tombstone" makes me feel good to test the safety on my 1911 that way. :p

Forearm only and with a good gun belt it helps not needing adjustment very often.

Twirl with a semi - auto, makes the whole thing a bit more entertaining! Be sure there is one in the chamber, safety off!

Big Boy

I do agree with the forearm tactic. Definitely have used that one while in lines. And if need be I will adjust by pulling up the belt, or by the bottom of the holster as Chiang said.

But as a general idea, don't touch your gun. Especially in a gripping motion.

Tony4310

If I need to re adjust my firearm. I use my forearm to do so and that is only if no bathroom is near, but that is just me. I never put my hands on my firearm.