• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State Republicans Betray Gun Owners

TheQ

State Republicans Betray Gun Owners
State Republican Leadership to Pigeonhole CPL Pistol Free Zone Repeal

1 July 2011
by Phillip Hofmeister

I spoke to someone today who is close to a member of the Senate Republican Leadership. What he told me shocked me. It appears the Republican Leadership intends to not act on the Concealed Pistol License (CPL) Pistol Free Zone (PFZ) repeal.

I’m sure as any CPL holder knows, unless you have an exemption, you cannot carry concealed in certain enumerated places such as schools, sports stadiums, bars, churches, etc. It’s a bit more complicated than that, but that’s the general drift of the current law. See MCL 28.425o for all the gory details. Many CPL holders may also be aware that Senate Bill 58 proposes to repeal all of those PFZs.

Anyone who is capable of researching a bill on the State Legislature website will no doubt notice the bill has gone nowhere. “Why is that”, you may wonder. Aren't the Republicans we voted in pro-2A? We were told that the budget (perhaps rightly so) was priority 1, 2, and 3. We were told “Social Issues” wouldn’t be considered until the budget was out of the way. Okay, so we can be patient. What now? Why no movement? I asked someone I know who is connected to the State Republican Party that same question to find out myself. Here’s what I heard…

The Governor won’t sign it because he feels it’s too “contentious”. Folks, in case you haven’t been paying attention, this Governor is NOT afraid of being contentious. Have you noticed how many people were bothered by his proposed budget? Did that stop him from moving forward on that? Nope. Given that, a bill that will certainly rally his base is “too contentious”? I find this hard to believe.

I also learned that since the Governor has indicated he won’t sign it and may veto it, the Republican Leadership in the Legislature, that’s right – Jase Bolger and Randy Richardville, won’t bring the bill up. It appears to me they don’t want to make the Governor look bad if he chooses to veto the bill. So, if I understand their strategy right, rather than throwing the Governor under the bus they plan to throw the whole party under the bus. Great idea, guys!

A disclaimer, I can’t guarantee the accuracy of my statements. I haven’t spoken to staff for the Speaker nor the Senate Majority Leader. However, I say this to them: “If I am wrong about what I’ve said, prove it.” How? Discharge SB 58 from committee (you’re no stranger to doing this, Mr. Richardville) and bring it to the Senate Floor for an immediate vote. Whip your members to pass it and send it to the House. I then issue the same challenge of action to Mr. Bolger. If they do this, I will recant this article and personally apologize to them on every channel that I have published this article.

If the Governor wants to veto it, let him. Let him show his true colors to the 250,000+ CPL holders and the millions of Gun Owners that helped put him in office. If the Republican Leadership won’t force the issue, all of these people who gladly gave you their support on Election Day will remember this betrayal and withdraw their support on the next Election Day.

I also hear you guys are facing recall challenges. What a better way to survive these recalls with minimal effort than pass this bill that will surely rally your base, hmm?

So, Mr. Richardsville and Mr. Bolger, the ball is in your court. It’s time to play it, we’re all watching – closely.

Sen. Randy Richardsville – (517) 373-3543 SenRichardville@senate.michigan.gov
Rep. Jase Bolger – (517) 373-1787 JamesBolger@house.mi.gov

WARCHILD

Aaahhh...the world of politics! And you all thought these politicians would follow through on their campaign promises why? It is still my opinion that politicians...like weathermen...only chose that career cause they were starving trying to sell used cars!
Research it...how many elected officials actually follow through or accomplish their campaign promises? Very few and very rare.
JMO

fjpro2a

Agree Completely

I usually ask my 2nd amendment patriots to wait a little while once a new Governor or State legislators get in, as they need time to get settled and take care of the financial mess. But, once that is over, it is NOT unreasonable to see steady, positive movement on advancing 2nd Amendment rights, especially when they supported it during the elections. Your challenge to them is right on the money. You even go so far as to say that you will recant and apologize if you are wrong. Keep us informed of the progress, or lack thereof.

TheQ

After I published these articles I sent it to Sen Green, Sen Richardsville and the Speaker. I let them know I posted it on the Internet in places where thousands of Michigan Gun Owners would read it.

I re-stated my wish to be wrong and that I will be forthcoming with a recanting apology once they prove me wrong.

Last edited:

ElectricianLU58

After I published these articles I sent it to Sen Green, Sen Richardsville and the Speaker. I let them know I posted it on the Internet in places where thousands of Michigan Gun Owners would read it.

I re-stated my wish to be wrong and that I will be forthcoming with a recanting apology once they prove me wrong.

absolutely reasonable.

B

Bikenut

And it wouldn't hurt for our Congress folks to jump in and preempt all the crap the CADL is trying to pull.

Honestly, I never expected a library to become the new face of the gun control agenda........

But, on topic, yep.. it is time for those who promised to step up and make good on those promises... or get fired.

mastiff69

They the Republicans in office can stand their ground, and pass the required laws that need to get passed, or they can face a recall, or be a one termer.

We voted them in & we can vote them out.
They need to do the right thing, & quit screwing the public.
It is not about them, it is about the public, how quickly they forget who they work for....

It souldn't be about republican or democrat, or independent, it should be about up holding the oath that our forefathers & founding fathers died for.
How soon we all get lazy & let the government take care of us, and tell us what is best for us.

If we were to repeal about half the laws on the books, we as a counrty would be further ahead, b ut then what would the lawyers/judges do for a job ?

Yooper

I think MOC contacting other pro gun groups in MI (MI gun owners, MCRGO, etc) and getting everyone on board, perhaps see if NRA and GOA would join, to put pressure on the legislators to get things done. There's no reason that bills taking away restrictions are moving nowhere. 2 bills I'd love to see pass, getting rid of the PFZ's and getting rid of handgun registration.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Aaahhh...the world of politics! And you all thought these politicians would follow through on their campaign promises why? It is still my opinion that politicians...like weathermen...only chose that career cause they were starving trying to sell used cars!
Research it...how many elected officials actually follow through or accomplish their campaign promises? Very few and very rare.
JMO

Not all of us thought they would further the 2nd Amendment. What surprises me is that there are those who still come here and would tell us that either party is supportive of the 2A. Neither party is... Yes, there are individuals in both parties that do support what should be a "no brainer". But, as has been stated above, the republican party in Michigan has been very hesitant to further any legislation loosening firearm restrictions, oftentimes even more than their opposition. With the current AG pretty much an "anti" and the current governor only supportive of legislation that furthers a corporate agenda, I feel the chances that things will change for the better is not very good. But, there is no harm in trying.

stainless1911

Banned
I sent the following, short, and to the point email to the reps.

Rumor has it that nothing is going to be done with the eliminate the pistol free zones in this state. Either this passes, or I will vote for someone else next term. Simple as that.

Jared

Not all of us thought they would further the 2nd Amendment. What surprises me is that there are those who still come here and would tell us that either party is supportive of the 2A. Neither party is... Yes, there are individuals in both parties that do support what should be a "no brainer". But, as has been stated above, the republican party in Michigan has been very hesitant to further any legislation loosening firearm restrictions, oftentimes even more than their opposition. With the current AG pretty much an "anti" and the current governor only supportive of legislation that furthers a corporate agenda, I feel the chances that things will change for the better is not very good. But, there is no harm in trying.

Very true.

The only thing in the meantime is litigation... although the 6th circuit isn't that friendly to the RKBA. There are things that could be litigated in Michigan, but it's not really much of interest to most MI residents because most of it doesn't affect them. That being said, there are some things that can be litigated, such as the must notify requirement. This requirement is unconsitutional because it does not apply to anyone who is illegally carrying. Two people similarly situated are not treated equally since one person is penalized for having a license. In the United States, a license is permission to do something that is otherwise illegal, just because you have permission to do something does not mean you accept a penalty for not doing something else that a non CPL holder is not required to do.

Also, the implied consent statute is unconstitutional as is their 0.02 BAC rule. The state criminal code already has it set at 0.08, they are penalizing a license holder for carrying concealed (and probably in a vehicle) if they are over 0.02 but under 0.08 since a non license holder would not face any kind of penalty aside from illegally carrying.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Just food for thought:

Neil,

A bill has been introduced. It is HB 4009. We are doing what we can to see that this gets passed.

Sincerely,

James Lower
Policy Director for Rep. Paul Scott

Wow...that is cool! Now we [all of us] should send Paul Scott a couple of bucks, why? Because one thing politicians understand is money; if this guys gets 5 to 10 thousand Dollars from us his peers will be tripping over themselves to sign this bill. If they do we should reward them also in my humble opinion. Sadly in today's world MONEY TALKS & everything else gets put on the back burner in Lansing. I know you think it cannot be done, do the math - hundreds of forum participants here (OCDO/MI) + hundreds of forum participants from MGO & MI Open carry = potentially thousands of dollars to help move forward our goals in Lansing.