Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35

Thread: Forsyth County Deputy wanted to disarm me in my own yard

  1. #1
    Regular Member Fallschirmjäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    3,915

    UPDATED Forsyth County Deputy demands to disarm me in my yard

    I have a poured cement driveway constructed in such a manner that there is a pad for parking built parallel to the county road. This afternoon, someone who was attending a function at an unknown neighbors decided that my pad made an absolutely lovely place to park his Mercedes.
    I called FCSO and requested a deputy to mediate the situation but it didn't go well.
    As Deputy See arrived, I was stripping some metal, I looked up and told him I'd be right back, I had to wash off a chemical burn from my hand.
    "Leave the weapon inside, Sir!"
    When I went back out, Deputy See was barricaded behind his unit with his weapon drawn. "Keep your hands up! Don't touch the weapon!" He advanced from behind cover, "I thought I told you to leave it inside."
    I just looked at him and smiled.

    After about five minutes of him giving orders to take my pistol inside, and me not doing it, we finally got around to the nature of the call, and interspersed with what I thought were rather nervous movements, backing away, and more hiding behind the trunk of his car.
    As we were conversing and I was getting the idea that the conversation was goin' south, I asked him for his business card. From his barricaded position he started filling it out. I don't think he appreciated when I whistled for his attention and reminded him that he was looking down and instead should be looking at me since I had the gun.

    In the end, he said that the car that was on the cement pad was "legally parked on the road" and said there was nothing he could do. However, my car which was parked at the curb was "double parked."
    "So, you're not going to do anything about it then?"
    "No, sir, I am not."
    "Well, you can go ahead and get off my property then, I don't need you."
    That didn't go over very well and he went in to the "Officer safety" spiel and how dangerous his job was.
    "Dude, you've got like the 14th or 15th most dangerous job. Taxi drivers, and 7-11 clerks have more dangerous jobs."
    He went on about how dangerous it was and I asked him the last time he got shot at.
    "I was in the Army, I was a Ranger. I'm retired."
    "1/508th, 82nd Airborne Division, also retired. How ya doin', sparky?" I guess his memory wasn't too sharp as I hadn't asked for his curriculum vitae.

    I didn't really appreciate being treated like the enemy, and it was more than a little kinda worrisome to be faced with someone who's visibly shaking with fear, his eyes big as saucers.

    I guess an ORA is in the cards for Tuesday, and this time I hope they give me more than just the incident report. If they try that, I'll see what escalation steps I'll have to take.

    File images from earlier in the year.




    If that's part of the road...then am I littering?? :mrgreen:
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 07-07-2011 at 10:47 AM.

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member ixtow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Suwannee County, FL
    Posts
    5,069
    This is cute.

    Your property is the road and anyone can park there. Then he wants to harass you instead, point a gun, make demands he has no authority to make...

    Sometimes it's better not to call them. They're such a pain.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

    https://gunthreadadapters.com

    "Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

    Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

  3. #3
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543
    Well I guess that police interaction didn't go the way you wanted it to. Seems like a complete over-teaction on the part of the Sheriff's Deputy. Let us know how your request for records goes. How you considered putting up some private property or private parking signs to deter people from parking there. It might give you a little more teeth when you do have to call the Sheriff's Office again.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  4. #4
    Regular Member fjpro2a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    300

    Good Reaction

    I say this more times than I can remember, but I am always impressed at how you guys keep "cool" under law enforcement encounters. I can only wish that I would be half as effective if something like that were to happen to me. Good answers, good responses, and good questions. Please let us know how things work out.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Gunslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Free, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    3,855
    Someone pointing a gun at me on my property would have his day in court. When did he put his gun away? I assume you will be taking legal action.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

  6. #6
    Regular Member MKEgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in front of my computer, WI
    Posts
    4,426
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd
    ...a complete over-reaction on the part of the Sheriff's Deputy.
    How you considered putting up some private property or private parking signs
    +1 to both.
    Will be interesting to follow this through your discussions w/ the Chief, city attorney, etc.
    Threatening your life when you'd done nothing wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Richmond, Tx
    Posts
    326
    Next time call a tow truck instead!
    Lower the crime rate by lowering the criminal survival rate!
    When people say 'God Bless America' I'm sure He says, "I gave you Texas!"

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,605
    Fallschirmjäger:

    If I were You..., I would go Directly to Ted Praxtons' Office and Report This Deputy.

    The Information for doing This is Availiable here: http://www.forsythsheriff.org/inform...e-mainmenu-167

    aadvark
    Last edited by aadvark; 07-05-2011 at 01:22 PM.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Fallschirmjäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    3,915
    Update 05 JUL 11
    Went up to Cumming this morning around 1100 and stopped by what I thought was the correct Sheriff's Office. I asked if I could set up an appointment with a supervisor for Deputy See. I was told that he worked out of the South Precinct on Ronald Reagan. Not wanting to make more trips than necessary I stopped at the Tribble Gap location to make an ORA and had short chat with SGT Frampton.
    He related something I was unaware of .... When you submit an ORA request at 'dispatch' it only returns the information that 'dispatch' has, and dispatch is a more of a separate entity to the Sheriff's Office than anything else. If I wanted copies of the CAD, or anything else, SGT Frampton said the ORA should go to the County Manager. I was told CPT Freeman was in a meeting and I left my cellphone number to be called.

    Around 1500 I was in the area and stopped by South Precinct to see if I could make an appointment later in the week to meet with the Captain. (Guessing that I hadn't been called back because he wanted to speak with his Deputy first before being blindsided by a complaining citizen.) Instead of having to set up a meeting, I was told CPT Freeman was available and would I care to meet with him immediately.

    I must say the meeting was every bit as cordial, smooth and professional as expected, based on previous interaction with FCSO. CPT Freeman seemed to be very interested in the actions of his deputy and thought there might indeed be a bit of a training issue as I was completely within my rights and the law. We agreed that a bit of refresher training should be scheduled at the earliest date. We had a disagreement about Open Carry, but agreed that 98-degrees and 110% humidity made it a touch uncomfortable.

    In regards to the parking issue, CPT Freeman hadn't personally seen my parking space, but basing his opinion on my description, he seemed pretty adamant that anyone parking on the cement pad was illegally parked. [Paraphrasing here...]"If any of my deputies said that it wasn't to me, I'd ask them what about if I get a few cars and park in their yard? I don't think they'd be too happy about that."

    He said that also would be brought up at the next meeting and said he hoped it wouldn't happen again. "We'll find out Labor Day or whatever the next holiday is" I said. He went to give me his business card and I said I already had it, "Oh, this one will have my cell phone number on it. If you have any problems with a deputy about your parking space, give SGT W. LT M. or myself a call."

    AAR - I'm very satisfied with the response from the Sheriff's Office, and an on a bit of an emotional high upon learning that an experienced officer agrees with my assessment that my cement pad is part of my yard for my parking and not a public parking space. "County right of way, is so that the county can install electrical, gas, water, etc., it's not an invitation for people to park in your yard."
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 07-05-2011 at 05:46 PM.

  10. #10
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Yuma, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    923

    What is the legal right of way in Georgia?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    Update 05 JUL 11
    Went up to Cumming this morning around 1100 and stopped by what I thought was the correct Sheriff's Office. I asked if I could set up an appointment with a supervisor for Deputy See. I was told that he worked out of the South Precinct on Ronald Reagan. Not wanting to make more trips than necessary I stopped at the Tribble Gap location to make an ORA and had short chat with SGT Frampton.
    He related something I was unaware of .... When you submit an ORA request at 'dispatch' it only returns the information that 'dispatch' has, and dispatch is a more of a separate entity to the Sheriff's Office than anything else. If I wanted copies of the CAD, or anything else, SGT Frampton said the ORA should go to the County Manager. I was told CPT Freeman was in a meeting and I left my cellphone number to be called.

    Around 1500 I was in the area and stopped by South Precinct to see if I could make an appointment later in the week to meet with the Captain. (Guessing that I hadn't been called back because he wanted to speak with his Deputy first before being blindsided by a complaining citizen.) Instead of having to set up a meeting, I was told CPT Freeman was available and would I care to meet with him immediately.

    I must say the meeting was every bit as cordial, smooth and professional as expected, based on previous interaction with FCSO. CPT Freeman seemed to be very interested in the actions of his deputy and thought there might indeed be a bit of a training issue as I was completely within my rights and the law. We agreed that a bit of refresher training should be scheduled at the earliest date. We had a disagreement about Open Carry, but agreed that 98-degrees and 110% humidity made it a touch uncomfortable.

    In regards to the parking issue, CPT Freeman hadn't personally seen my parking space, but basing his opinion on my description, he seemed pretty adamant that anyone parking on the cement pad was illegally parked. [Paraphrasing here...]"If any of my deputies said that it wasn't to me, I'd ask them what about if I get a few cars and park in their yard? I don't think they'd be too happy about that."

    He said that also would be brought up at the next meeting and said he hoped it wouldn't happen again. "We'll find out Labor Day or whatever the next holiday is" I said. He went to give me his business card and I said I already had it, "Oh, this one will have my cell phone number on it. If you have any problems with a deputy about your parking space, give SGT W. LT M. or myself a call."

    AAR - I'm very satisfied with the response from the Sheriff's Office, and an on a bit of an emotional high upon learning that an experienced officer agrees with my assessment that my cement pad is part of my yard for my parking and not a public parking space. "County right of way, is so that the county can install electrical, gas, water, etc., it's not an invitation for people to park in your yard."
    From your description, I would have thought you had a case about the parking, but after seeing the pictures, I am not so sure. I do not know the law on right of way in Georgia, but in the states that I am familiar with, the right of way is defined as so many feet from the centerline, and it usually extends a considerable distance beyond the edge of the pavement.

    In the areas where I am familiar (Wisconsin and Arizona), in most cases, the cement pad pictured would be on the government right of way and would be legal for anyone to park on.

  11. #11
    Founder's Club Member ixtow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Suwannee County, FL
    Posts
    5,069


    The disagreeing on OC bit is not optimal... Especially for an OC forum... But he didn't seem to get hung up on it.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

    https://gunthreadadapters.com

    "Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

    Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

  12. #12
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Lenexa, Kansas
    Posts
    423
    It is always enjoyable knowing that the more experience officers of the laws can be on your side about certain situations. I personally think from what you wrote on your first post that the "Deputy" was acting bit off from how he should have been acting.
    Nothing better than a Glock.........except maybe another Glock!

  13. #13
    Regular Member Fallschirmjäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    3,915
    Quote Originally Posted by ccwinstructor View Post
    From your description, I would have thought you had a case about the parking, but after seeing the pictures, I am not so sure. I do not know the law on right of way in Georgia, but in the states that I am familiar with, the right of way is defined as so many feet from the centerline, and it usually extends a considerable distance beyond the edge of the pavement.

    In the areas where I am familiar (Wisconsin and Arizona), in most cases, the cement pad pictured would be on the government right of way and would be legal for anyone to park on.
    Let's try a thought exercise and see what the results are.
    Let's imagine that you've built a driveway from your house out to the road. Some portion of that driveway is no doubt within the limits of the county right-of-way. Is it legal for someone to block you from the use of your driveway?

    Now, let's imagine that instead of an arrow straight path directly from your house to the nearest paved road, your driveway widens at the intersection with the street (as most driveways seem to do these days). Is it legal for someone to park in your driveway just because it's wider?

    Thirdly, let's imagine that instead of a perpendicular connection or a slightly wider intersection with the road, that your driveway parallels the road for a distance. Does it matter that the driveway is separated from the pavement or not so long as that parallel portion is still within the county right-of-way?

    OCGA § 40-6-203

    (a) Except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic, or in compliance with law or the directions of a police officer or official traffic-control device, no person shall:
    (2) Stand or park a vehicle, whether occupied or not, except momentarily to pick up or discharge a passenger or passengers:
    (A) In front of a public or private driveway.



    If it's illegal to place tiny, flimsy political signs, garage sale signs or lost cat signs on the county right-of-way, why is it perfectly okay to park a hulking, hard to see through car there?
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 07-06-2011 at 05:58 PM.

  14. #14
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Yuma, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    923

    Driveway parralell and adjoining the road is no longer a driveway

    Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    Let's try a thought exercise and see what the results are.
    Let's imagine that you've built a driveway from your house out to the road. Some portion of that driveway is no doubt within the limits of the county right-of-way. Is it legal for someone to block you from the use of your driveway?

    Now, let's imagine that instead of an arrow straight path directly from your house to the nearest paved road, your driveway widens at the intersection with the street (as most driveways seem to do these days). Is it legal for someone to park in your driveway just because it's wider?

    Thirdly, let's imagine that instead of a perpendicular connection or a slightly wider intersection with the road, that your driveway parallels the road for a distance. Does it matter that the driveway is separated from the pavement or not so long as that parallel portion is still within the county right-of-way?

    OCGA § 40-6-203

    (a) Except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic, or in compliance with law or the directions of a police officer or official traffic-control device, no person shall:
    (2) Stand or park a vehicle, whether occupied or not, except momentarily to pick up or discharge a passenger or passengers:
    (A) In front of a public or private driveway.



    If it's illegal to place tiny, flimsy political signs, garage sale signs or lost cat signs on the county right-of-way, why is it perfectly okay to park a hulking, hard to see through car there?

    If you park there, and it does not block your driveway, then someone else parking there does not block your driveway either.

    Prohibitions on signs are usually a separate ordinance from prohibitions on parking, as they are created for different purposes. As I do not know Georgia law, this is mere speculation on my part.

  15. #15
    Regular Member Fallschirmjäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    3,915
    Quote Originally Posted by ccwinstructor View Post
    If you park there, and it does not block your driveway, then someone else parking there does not block your driveway either.
    Prohibitions on signs are usually a separate ordinance from prohibitions on parking, as they are created for different purposes. As I do not know Georgia law, this is mere speculation on my part.
    I can understand speculating on the laws of another state. I also tend to attach little importance to speculation.
    Were I to comment on Aridzona law, I'd have researched it so as to have an informed opinion.... but that's just me.

    I can park my car at the very entrance of my driveway (not just in front of, mind you, but actually inside) and be perfectly safe from any "blocking a driveway" charge. If you were to do the exact same thing and prevent me from the free and unrestricted use of that driveway, you would be in the wrong.
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 07-07-2011 at 12:04 AM.

  16. #16
    Regular Member 77zach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Marion County, FL
    Posts
    3,005
    Why is it we call the police for the most trivial of things? Personally, I don't want to have any interaction with that sanctified caste. I'll call them if I have to shoot somebody and that's about it.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

    I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

  17. #17
    Founder's Club Member ixtow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Suwannee County, FL
    Posts
    5,069
    Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    Why is it we call the police for the most trivial of things? Personally, I don't want to have any interaction with that sanctified caste. I'll call them if I have to shoot somebody and that's about it.
    Because handling things yourself steals their thunder, and their vengeful sights will be turned on you.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

    https://gunthreadadapters.com

    "Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

    Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

  18. #18
    Regular Member Fallschirmjäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    3,915
    Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    Why is it we call the police for the most trivial of things? Personally, I don't want to have any interaction with that sanctified caste. I'll call them if I have to shoot somebody and that's about it.
    Thank you, Zach, and just how would you have 'handled the situation?
    Ask politely of the young man (which I did) and have him say 'no'?

    Have the car towed?
    Flatten his tires?
    Put a banana in his tailpipe?

  19. #19
    Founder's Club Member ixtow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Suwannee County, FL
    Posts
    5,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    Thank you, Zach, and just how would you have 'handled the situation?
    Ask politely of the young man (which I did) and have him say 'no'?

    Have the car towed?
    Flatten his tires?
    Put a banana in his tailpipe?
    Sure looked like a steep hill. If the driver put it in neutral and forgot the parking brake...
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

    https://gunthreadadapters.com

    "Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

    Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

  20. #20
    Regular Member stuckinchico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Stevenson, Alabama, United States
    Posts
    506
    Homemade thermite gernade to hood, through the block, then let him call the tow truck just a suggestion, since it is on your property, he must have been giving it to you as a gift

  21. #21
    Regular Member Fallschirmjäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    3,915
    Quote Originally Posted by ixtow
    Sure looked like a steep hill. If the driver put it in neutral and forgot the parking brake...
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckinchico View Post
    Homemade thermite gernade[sic] to hood, through the block, then let him call the tow truck. just a suggestion, since it is on your property, he must have been giving it to you as a gift
    Advocating criminal actions? Really, I expect more of people here.
    We are better than that, aren't we?

  22. #22
    Regular Member dukenukum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    270
    My Brother had a similar situation what he did was post a sign that said parking 500 dollars per hour when the guy parked there again he sued him and won. Don't about the laws in your state but it's worth looking into .

  23. #23
    Founder's Club Member ixtow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Suwannee County, FL
    Posts
    5,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    Advocating criminal actions? Really, I expect more of people here.
    We are better than that, aren't we?
    I didn't realize that an illegally parked car who's owner/driver forgot to put the parking brake on, could be charged with a crime...

    :-p
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

    https://gunthreadadapters.com

    "Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

    Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

  24. #24
    Regular Member Fallschirmjäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    3,915
    Not a crime, but definitely a violation of 40-6-201 "No person driving or in charge of a motor vehicle shall permit it to stand unattended without first stopping the engine, locking the ignition, effectively setting the brake, and, when the vehicle is standing upon any grade, turning the front wheels to the curb or side of the highway."
    An unauthorized person moving said vehicle into a traffic lane, or causing it to roll downhill, or would be a criminal act however.

  25. #25
    Regular Member stuckinchico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Stevenson, Alabama, United States
    Posts
    506
    Theres no crime in damaging your own property....... Should have not been a D*ck..........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •