• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sagehen Creek campground banning guns

sparkyall

I just recently found out that Sagehen Creek campground has it listed in their flyer (and web site) that 'no firearms within 150 yards' and I need help here. I've tried contacting them about this being illegal but they keep ignoring me, I contacted the State of Idaho AGs office and they told me to contact the US Forest Service, again, ignored, I'm trying to get as many people as possible to write, phone, contact or whatever it takes to get them to listen. Check out the site yourself at Recreation.gov and look up Sagehen Creek and you'll see it. I was told (and I haven't been able to confirm this) that this is a private company running this campground on US Forest Service land and it's their policy, so help me out here, contact them and let them know about them violating your (and mine) rights. By the way, I told them I won't visit their facility and will urge others not to until they change their policy. Thanks folks

hermannr

It doesn't matter if a contractor is operating the campground. If the camground is on USFS land, they cannot do anything but abide by state law.

Add: here is a link...nothing saying SageHen is anything but a regular FS campground. Note the web site name..."public lands" FS abides state law.

http://www.publiclands.org/explore/site.php?search=YES&back=Search Results&id=2122

Carry if you want. Someone hassels you tell them they have no standing per state or federal law.

Last edited:

clarkebar

I agree, they have absolutely no authority to make that policy. Carry on and tell them where to stick it.

ecocks

See, here is something that [to me anyway] would make the right kind of powerful statement by a group like IDCDL.

Research this THOROUGHLY to be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN we have this right. Then make a reservation (or two or three) for a camping spot, get 15-20 of us together and go there for a day-trip/picnic (we don't even have to take BBQ, we could do burgers and chips or take along some ice cream makers). OC as we check in and insist on exercising our legal right.

IMO, these are the types of situations where we can clearly make an impact, normalize the exercise of 2A rights and educate the public while correcting a wrong.

My 2 cents worth.

carracer

Need to know if any part and which part would be under control by the Army Corp of Engineers. They are the only authority with any written policy:

http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_99/36cfr327_99.html

" § 327.13 Explosives, firearms, other
weapons and fireworks.
The possession of loaded firearms,
ammunition, loaded projectile firing
devices, bows and arrows, crossbows,
explosives or explosive devices of any
kind, including fireworks, is prohibited
unless:
(a) In the possession of a Federal,
state or local law enforcement officer;
(b) Being used for hunting or fishing
as permitted under § 327.8, with devices
being unloaded when transported to,
from or between hunting and fishing
sites;
(c) Being used at authorized shooting
ranges; or
(d) Written permission has been received
from the District Engineer."

I can see the "Fishing" part being our out on that.

Last edited:

hermannr

If you look at the link I put in my earlier post you will see the camground is definately FS. If anything is ACE controlled property it would be the dam itself. I would understand it all to be under FS control from what I read.

AK47hero

widowmaker warning

the first campsite on the right of east side camping area has a nasty branch stuck in the tree above the table. last year i informed the camp host and its still there. if you plan to camp at sagehen take a look up

sparkyall

Sagehen Creek campground

After contacting the Governor, the Attorney generals office, and several other agencies I finally got results. At first I was told that it meant you couldn't discharge a firearm within 150 yards of a campsite but when I informed them that it didn't state that they said it was implied. I dogged them some more, I was told it was removed from their site and when I went to the site 4 days later it was still there, I contacted them again and told them so. So as of July 21st 2011 I received and email telling me that it was finally removed and guess what? Their restriction is gone. So as of this time I would like to thank all those involved in contacting Sagehen, BLM, the USFS and all the others that you contacted to say thanks for your help. Sometimes the 'Squeaky wheel does get the grease'. Remember, and un-exercised right looses it's shape fast. Be safe and thanks again.

Zhukov

Are there any copies of memos or anything official stating it will be fine to carry there? That'd be nice to have in hand.

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
I'm sorry to say it's still on the website!

Firearms and Fireworks

Firearms are prohibited in national parks and in all campgrounds and generally in all state parks and national wildlife refuges except during hunting season.

ecocks

I'm sorry to say it's still on the website!

Firearms and Fireworks

Firearms are prohibited in national parks and in all campgrounds and generally in all state parks and national wildlife refuges except during hunting season.

Send them a letter and get that corrected!