• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Recording police can create clashes.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Police officers are public officials being paid with our tax dollars. Someone videotaping or photographing them is not a threat. If they are doing nothing wrong then they should have nothing to worry about. All of us are under video surveillance most of the time we are in public doing the the things we normally do. So long as their safety is not being compromised, why should the police be any different.

gsxrman

cause the "cops" want to abuse their power :banghead: at least there are still some real police officers out there...

SFCRetired

Check out this website: http://www.pixiq.com/contributors/248

This is a Miami-based photo journalist who keeps track of a lot of photographer-police clashes.

I've read through a lot of his entries and those from other journalists. Sounds like he's on the right track on a lot of these clashes.

I also think it would do him and the folks who posted on his blog a world of good to come here and check out some of our encounters.

CrimeInCharlotte

Thanks! He covered it shortly after it happened @ http://www.pixiq.com/article/blogger-threatened-with-arrest-for-photographing-arrest

I complied with all police commands so thankfully it did not come to an arrest situation. I wish I'd heard of Carlos Miller before it happened or I would've done things differently... :banghead: hindsight is 20/20.

Check out this website: http://www.pixiq.com/contributors/248

This is a Miami-based photo journalist who keeps track of a lot of photographer-police clashes.

I've read through a lot of his entries and those from other journalists. Sounds like he's on the right track on a lot of these clashes.

I also think it would do him and the folks who posted on his blog a world of good to come here and check out some of our encounters.

FTG-05

Thanks all! :exclaim:

I learned the hard way :cuss: I bought a pocket recorder over the weekend.

Kelly (the woman in the article)
http://www.crimeincharlotte.com

I have a question: the article says you said you were over 80 feet, the police say you were about 10 feet. Don't your pics show the real distance?

Good luck, I wish you the best against these type of police behavior.

CrimeInCharlotte

Last edited:

FTG-05

Ok, it clearly wasn't 10 feet - or 80. But the perspective of that pic doesn't show me if it 20 or 30 clearly. To me, it looks to be over 30 but I"m just winging it.

Bottom line: The po-po were out of line IMO.

Good luck.

ArmySoldier22

Pen recorder

Just created an account today because although I've OC'd a couple of times, I hadn't made a big habit out of it until recently. The very first time I OC'd, I had a pocket recorder with me and had it in my front pocket on a pair of jeans. I was on a motorcycle heading to Taco Bell, and was pulled over because my right rear turn signal had gone out "no problem there, the officer was pretty understanding about that" He didn't even have any issue with me carrying on the bike, I told him the second he approached me that I was OC'ing and he said that was fine, he'd just pulled me over because I'd failed to signal. This led to a conversation about how I was pretty sure I had signaled, and that's when we discovered that my light was just out. Everything had gone great up until that point, but then he noticed my pocket recorder in my front pocket "I had to slide it up about halfway because it was digging into my leg while riding" and he asked if I'd been recording him the whole time. I wasn't going to lie to an officer, so I just told him yes, and that's when he seemed to get all hostile towards me, saying that there was no reason to be recording our conversation :uhoh:. So now I carry a $30 pen recorder I got off ebay that looks like nothing more than an ordinary pen. 1 click for just audio recording, 2 quick clicks for video as well. No more LEO's getting upset about it for no reason.

I know that didn't really apply much to what happened in the original post, but it is on topic with recoding LEO's while OC'ing. I still think the LEO really over reacted though.

As far as what happened to you, that really is over the top. I can understand why they hate those "clips" that can misconstrue a situation, but all that for just taking a picture?

M

mattwestm

Just created an account today because although I've OC'd a couple of times, I hadn't made a big habit out of it until recently. The very first time I OC'd, I had a pocket recorder with me and had it in my front pocket on a pair of jeans. I was on a motorcycle heading to Taco Bell, and was pulled over because my right rear turn signal had gone out "no problem there, the officer was pretty understanding about that" He didn't even have any issue with me carrying on the bike, I told him the second he approached me that I was OC'ing and he said that was fine, he'd just pulled me over because I'd failed to signal. This led to a conversation about how I was pretty sure I had signaled, and that's when we discovered that my light was just out. Everything had gone great up until that point, but then he noticed my pocket recorder in my front pocket "I had to slide it up about halfway because it was digging into my leg while riding" and he asked if I'd been recording him the whole time. I wasn't going to lie to an officer, so I just told him yes, and that's when he seemed to get all hostile towards me, saying that there was no reason to be recording our conversation :uhoh:. So now I carry a $30 pen recorder I got off ebay that looks like nothing more than an ordinary pen. 1 click for just audio recording, 2 quick clicks for video as well. No more LEO's getting upset about it for no reason.

I know that didn't really apply much to what happened in the original post, but it is on topic with recoding LEO's while OC'ing. I still think the LEO really over reacted though.

As far as what happened to you, that really is over the top. I can understand why they hate those "clips" that can misconstrue a situation, but all that for just taking a picture?

Do you have a link to the recorder? Does it function well?

ArmySoldier22

Do you have a link to the recorder? Does it function well?

Not to the same one I've got. I bought it on auction from 3rd party. But I just did a quick eBay search and found some similar to the one I have, maybe even better. I just searched for "pen recorder". At first glance, I didn't see any that say anything about doing audio and video seperately like mine does though. But if you only need audio, there are some under "audio pen recorder" as well.

As far as functioning well, mine does great. I haven't been pulled over since then, but I have tested it out numerous times and while the video quality isn't what you'd get from a full camera "no surprise there" it is pretty good at a large resolution. The audio recorder tends to pick up a lot of noise, but nothing that would interfere with recording a conversation

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Thanks all! :exclaim:

I learned the hard way :cuss: I bought a pocket recorder over the weekend.

Kelly (the woman in the article)
http://www.crimeincharlotte.com

Which did you buy? After a month, have you needed it? How would you rate it in testing or use? I'm needing to buy mine ASAP and am still completely clueless which direction to go seeing as they sell from $20-200.

Dreamer

Q: Why do we have red-light cameras?
A: To catch people who break the law.

Q: Why do we have security cameras in stores?

Q: Why do we film the police?

Any public official who doesn't want to be photographed should be viewed as suspect by the People.

Period. End of discussion...