Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Constitutional Carry

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Huntersville, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    231

    Constitutional Carry

    I know everyone is saying "one step at a time." with the gradual loosening of our gun laws, but in my opinion it's time to just break free (or at least get really loose). The legislative sessions are over, but that doesn't mean we can't start pounding our reps about this one. Just remember the quote from Shawshank Redemption: "I'll write a letter everyday, they can't ignore me forever." Or how about in the Bible in Luke 18:1-5 where the unjust judge gave into the woman because of her continual coming.

    Some folks are saying that our loosening laws are doing nothing for open carry. While this is correct, I think we all agree that this would help the cause of OC. I don't have a list of reps to write or call, so I'll let you folks do that. Perhaps the GRNC would step up and post the necessary contacts if they feel lead? Let's try to stay hard on this and apply pressure. I seriously think that this is in our grasp. There is no reason why it can't be a reality.

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543
    Here is the link to North Carolina State Congress. The site has lists and contact information for all of the representatives.

    http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/

    As a Virginian who goes to NC for vacation frequently I have an interest in expanding you gun rights as well.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by Godscreation View Post
    I know everyone is saying "one step at a time." with the gradual loosening of our gun laws, but in my opinion it's time to just break free (or at least get really loose). The legislative sessions are over, but that doesn't mean we can't start pounding our reps about this one. Just remember the quote from Shawshank Redemption: "I'll write a letter everyday, they can't ignore me forever." Or how about in the Bible in Luke 18:1-5 where the unjust judge gave into the woman because of her continual coming.

    Some folks are saying that our loosening laws are doing nothing for open carry. While this is correct, I think we all agree that this would help the cause of OC. I don't have a list of reps to write or call, so I'll let you folks do that. Perhaps the GRNC would step up and post the necessary contacts if they feel lead? Let's try to stay hard on this and apply pressure. I seriously think that this is in our grasp. There is no reason why it can't be a reality.
    Look at this thread. It lists who our friends are and who not to waste time on.

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...0-Means-To-You!

  4. #4
    Regular Member EricDailey X-NRA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wake County, NC
    Posts
    209

    Constitutional Carry

    On this forum Constitutional Carry should be the primary objective. I have seen no indication that anyone at GRNC knows anything about open carry or cares to. There are few members on this forum who know what Constitutional Carry is. Few on this forum know the difference between gun laws and their Second Amendment Rights.
    Get a DVR, a Digital Voice Recorder, carry it 24/7. It's cheap, easy and makes a good witness in Court.

    Triangle Open Carry Meetup
    http://www.meetup.com/r/inbound/0/0/...ry/?a=sharetxt
    This is a link for a "gunz r welcome" sign.
    http://www.gunlaws.com/images/unity.gif
    FORUM RULES (14)
    ....This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Franklin Co., NC
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by EricDailey X-NRA View Post
    Few on this forum know the difference between gun laws and their Second Amendment Rights.
    I guess we should count our blessings that YOU are here, no?
    "I believe that a person's moral compass can be determined by how he references free men the right to defend themselves." - Ted Nugent

  6. #6
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543
    Quote Originally Posted by condeist View Post
    I guess we should count our blessings that YOU are here, no?
    My thoughts exactly....
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  7. #7
    Regular Member EricDailey X-NRA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wake County, NC
    Posts
    209

    Counting is useful

    Quote Originally Posted by condeist View Post
    I guess we should count our blessings that YOU are here, no?
    Try ranking this thread by the number of views listed and comparing it for the next two weeks to views of other threads and see if that indicates something to you.
    Get a DVR, a Digital Voice Recorder, carry it 24/7. It's cheap, easy and makes a good witness in Court.

    Triangle Open Carry Meetup
    http://www.meetup.com/r/inbound/0/0/...ry/?a=sharetxt
    This is a link for a "gunz r welcome" sign.
    http://www.gunlaws.com/images/unity.gif
    FORUM RULES (14)
    ....This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hickory, NC, ,
    Posts
    1,025
    Quote Originally Posted by EricDailey X-NRA View Post
    On this forum Constitutional Carry should be the primary objective. I have seen no indication that anyone at GRNC knows anything about open carry or cares to. There are few members on this forum who know what Constitutional Carry is. Few on this forum know the difference between gun laws and their Second Amendment Rights.
    I thought OC was the primary objective? Man I'm getting confused. Sarcasm off.

    Do you realize that this may be more than just a legislative issue? It has the potential to have to be a NC Constitutional amendment. That's not an absolute mind you, but the legislature gets their power to regulate CC from Article 1, section 30 of the NC Constitution.

    Sec. 30. Militia and the right to bear arms.
    A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; and, as standing armies in time of peace are dangerous to liberty, they shall not be maintained, and the military shall be kept under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power. Nothing herein shall justify the practice of carrying concealed weapons, or prevent the General Assembly from enacting penal statutes against that practice.


    I'm assuming that amendment may have to be reworked to get Constitutional Carry. That would take significantly more work. However, it would make for a much stronger assertion of the right. Then again, subverting the constitution is a government specialty. So I'm sure they could try to find a way around it.

  9. #9
    Regular Member EricDailey X-NRA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wake County, NC
    Posts
    209

    OC is important

    Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    I thought OC was the primary objective? Man I'm getting confused. Sarcasm off.
    The only reason to use sarcasm is for ridicule. I've done nothing worthy of ridicule on this forum. Your sarcasm does not hurt me and it does not help any others on this forum. Your sarcasm does not help the issue of the Second Amendment, or the members of this forum who have confused concealed carry "privileges" with Second Amendment "Rights"

    I said "On this forum Constitutional Carry SHOULD be the primary objective." In other posts I have pointed out that in fact the ONLY topic of this forum is open carry. I think we will get more done when we all stay on topic.
    Get a DVR, a Digital Voice Recorder, carry it 24/7. It's cheap, easy and makes a good witness in Court.

    Triangle Open Carry Meetup
    http://www.meetup.com/r/inbound/0/0/...ry/?a=sharetxt
    This is a link for a "gunz r welcome" sign.
    http://www.gunlaws.com/images/unity.gif
    FORUM RULES (14)
    ....This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hickory, NC, ,
    Posts
    1,025
    If the only topic we ever discuss is OC, and ignore the other gun legislation in the state, we'll get nothing done. And that's the point of my post, sarcasm and all. All gun owners need to get behind all the positive changes introduced in the legislature whether CC or OC.

    We either hang together, or surely we will hang separately. To paraphrase Ben Franklin.

    And to assume that few others know what Constitutional Carry is, is likely assuming too much. Particularly on a gun board that's focused on expanding rights.

  11. #11
    Regular Member EricDailey X-NRA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wake County, NC
    Posts
    209

    on a gun board

    Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    ...If the only topic we ever discuss is OC, and ignore the other gun legislation in the state, we'll get nothing done....
    This shows that you are now qualified to be a site moderator.
    Get a DVR, a Digital Voice Recorder, carry it 24/7. It's cheap, easy and makes a good witness in Court.

    Triangle Open Carry Meetup
    http://www.meetup.com/r/inbound/0/0/...ry/?a=sharetxt
    This is a link for a "gunz r welcome" sign.
    http://www.gunlaws.com/images/unity.gif
    FORUM RULES (14)
    ....This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Maverick9110e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    224
    Quote Originally Posted by EricDailey X-NRA View Post
    This shows that you are now qualified to be a site moderator.
    You sure as hell strut around here and act like you think you are.

    Constitutional carry is about both OC and CC....... CARRY HOW YOU WANT WITH NO RESTRICTIONS, it encompass' both and if you wish to discuss it, then it must be included.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by EricDailey X-NRA View Post
    The only reason to use sarcasm is for ridicule. I've done nothing worthy of ridicule on this forum. Your sarcasm does not hurt me and it does not help any others on this forum. Your sarcasm does not help the issue of the Second Amendment, or the members of this forum who have confused concealed carry "privileges" with Second Amendment "Rights"

    .
    The Second Amendment doesn't grant you any "Rights"

  14. #14
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketdad View Post
    The Second Amendment doesn't grant you any "Rights"
    By this I hope you mean that the RKBA is an inherent right and that it can't be granted because you are born with it.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    By this I hope you mean that the RKBA is an inherent right and that it can't be granted because you are born with it.
    Read it, SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED, The Bill of Rights are restrictions against the Government. The First Amendment says the Government can't restrict our Rights and the Second says the Government can't take the tools away from us to protect those rights.

    Yea, I mean what you said.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Franklin Co., NC
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    By this I hope you mean that the RKBA is an inherent right and that it can't be granted because you are born with it.
    I think thats what he means. That the right is inherent and the Constitution simply acknowledges it. But it doesnt grant it. Thats how I view it anyhow.
    "I believe that a person's moral compass can be determined by how he references free men the right to defend themselves." - Ted Nugent

  17. #17
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358
    Although I agree with the OP that "Constitutional Carry" should be the ultimate objective for this forum, and for local and State-based activist groups, I must remind them that we are working against nearly half a century of VERY effective brainwashing and propaganda, and changing public perception and convincing elected public servants that voting Pro-2A is in their best interest is NOT going to happen overnight...

    When we first get involved with OC (or any form of 2A activism) we are often filled with excitement, feelings of empowerment, and a deep feeling of "why doesn't EVERYONE see the perfect sense in this?"

    The enthusiasm of "OC Newbies" is GREAT--we need that level of excitement, dedication, and fervor to keep this movement growing and vibrant. But is also can sometimes shift to bitterness, frustration, and feelings of being oppressed. We mustn't let these feelings cloud our vision--we must own these negative feelings, and channel them into positive action and deep dedication to the "cause". Change will come slowly--step-by-step, and we must not let slow progress dampen our enthusiasm.

    Like I said, it has taken nearly half a century of brainwashing, propaganda, and disinformation to get the public and elected public servants to the point where they are now--blithely handing over their own Human Right to Self Defense to the "government" (who neither is capable, or legally obliged to provide such protection). Breaking this programming is NOT going to happen overnight for most people, and DEFINITELY not for elected servants. People in elected office are primarily concerned with ONE thing, and ONE THING ONLY--getting re-elected.

    If they perceive that voting along party lines, or catering to the propaganda and anti-constitutional agendas of "special interest groups" who seek to strip our Fundamental Human Rights away will get them re-elected, they will continue to vote as they have.

    However, if we can convince a large, vocal, and politically active segment of the voting public to see things our way, and get them motivated to tell their representatives how they feel, AND convince these representatives that voting Pro-2A is a "litmus test" that will determine whether they will or will not get re-elected, then perhaps they will vote to change the laws back to a more pro-2A situation.

    It takes time...

    Look at the Second Amendment Foundation, and the tactic that Alan Gura is taking. It's a multi-pronged approach, with a TON of chess-like strategy, and a LOT of scenario-playing goes into this strategy. It will take time to change things back to a more 2A-friendly stance in the USA, but the ball is rolling in our favor now, and we are gaining momentum--boh in the Courts, with public opinion, AND with regards to academic research in Criminal Justice trends...

    And on this issue, we WILL ultimately prevail!

    It just takes time.

    Be patient, grasshopper...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Fayetteville NC
    Posts
    751
    +1 to Dreamer's post

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketdad View Post
    Read it, SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED, The Bill of Rights are restrictions against the Government. The First Amendment says the Government can't restrict our Rights and the Second says the Government can't take the tools away from us to protect those rights.

    Yea, I mean what you said.
    +1, I couldn't agree more.

    However, I will take any victory no matter how small. You don't go from where we are to constitutional carry overnight.

    I have said before and I will say again, it is a shame that many of the things we are fighting for are alreadying instituted in at least one state. They haven't been thrown into chaos, they haven't had mass killings by gun owners in bars, or on college campuses, or at parades and movie theaters, etc. You get the point.

    But it will take time.......

  20. #20
    Regular Member EricDailey X-NRA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wake County, NC
    Posts
    209

    Steps backwards

    Quote Originally Posted by ocgso View Post
    +1, I couldn't agree more.

    However, I will take any victory no matter how small. ...
    There seems to be confusion about the difference between "gun laws" and rights. I can't see it as even a small victory when we have to get permission from our rulers. I don't mark the win column when we get better permissions. Folks think they are getting their Rights but they're wrong.
    Get a DVR, a Digital Voice Recorder, carry it 24/7. It's cheap, easy and makes a good witness in Court.

    Triangle Open Carry Meetup
    http://www.meetup.com/r/inbound/0/0/...ry/?a=sharetxt
    This is a link for a "gunz r welcome" sign.
    http://www.gunlaws.com/images/unity.gif
    FORUM RULES (14)
    ....This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •