• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry driving a riding lawnmower

Da Po-lock

Without ever giving this a thought I carry up north at our cabin when I cut the grass.
Does anyone know if it is legal ?
I'm thinking its o.k.

..............Preplexed Po-lock

Last edited:

jeff niles

oc cutting lawn

If your on your own property right now yes you can ,also cc on your own property any time i do both.

Interceptor_Knight

No, you may not do either. A lawnmower is a "vehicle" and there is no exception for "your own property" in 167.31. You may NOT Conceal Carry on your own property. There is not even an exception in the Statute for your home but Case Law court comments have stated that in your own home and in your place of business your interests are the greatest and they are greater than the State's.
Both of these issues have been discussed at length several times.

Last edited:

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
I Can't Remember Who Told Me...But They Got A Ticket For Riding Their Lawnmower....

while open carrying last year. Dang if I can remember who told me that.

I have to agree with I.K. Basically anything with wheels that can be drawn upon a road/highway/whatever is a vehicle and as of now we cannot carry on a "vehicle". There IS an exception IIRC for farmers on tractors in those areas of Wisconsin that have CWD in deer but I may be mistaken. It has been a while since I read through the DNR Gestapo handbook.

Now if you were riding your horse open carrying that is legal.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Im under the impression that 'vehicle' has to do with 'that which can legally be operated/used on the street/road'....i garden tractor cant 'legally' be used on the roads...

There have been several incidences in different states where people were arrested for DUI while driving a lawnmower/barstool. The police consider it to be a vehicle if it is on the road. Here's one of those stories.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29971638/ns/us_news-weird_news/t/man-charged-drunk-driving-bar-stool/

Interceptor_Knight

Im under the impression that 'vehicle' has to do with 'that which can legally be operated/used on the street/road'....i garden tractor cant 'legally' be used on the roads...

We have posted the definition of "vehicle" literally dozens of times.... it is getting kind of silly because people refuse to look up the Statute even though it is provided over and over.... The definition of vehicle has ZERO to do with legally operated.

167.31 Safe use and transportation of firearms and
bows. (1) DEFINITIONS. In this section:
(h) “Vehicle” has the meaning given in s. 340.01 (74)
(2) PROHIBITIONS; MOTORBOATS AND VEHICLES; HIGHWAYS AND
ROADWAYS.
(b) Except as provided in sub. (4), no person may place, possess or transport a firearm, bow or crossbow in or on a vehicle,
unless the firearm is unloaded and encased or unless the bow or
crossbow is unstrung or is enclosed in a carrying case
340.01 Words and phrases defined
(74) “Vehicle” means every device in, upon, or by which any
person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, except railroad trains.
Vehicle includes your kid's Hot Wheels and Radio Flyer wagon... It is nearly anything with wheels..

Last edited:

Jesse

What if I drive a railroad train as my daily driver on the road? OR convert one into a mower??

safcrkr

This will change when SB93 becomes law and starts on Nov. 1st. Even without permit, SB93 will allow CC on all of your property (covers mowing your own lawn), and SB93 says open carry in a vehicle will be legal (covers driving down the road to cut your neighbor's lawn).

Last edited:

GlockRDH

yes, i know its 'silly'...BUT if you choose to look at the wording it becomes more cloudy..
'is or MAY be transported' ...whats the definition of 'MAY'...does it me 'allowed' as in its met all the legal licensing requirements....or does it mean that it 'can' as in 'potentially be used as such'... Im sure thats just 'silly' to as such a question, isnt it?...duh.

littlewolf

No, you may not do either. A lawnmower is a "vehicle" and there is no exception for "your own property" in 167.31. You may NOT Conceal Carry on your own property. There is not even an exception in the Statute for your home but Case Law court comments have stated that in your own home and in your place of business your interests are the greatest and they are greater than the State's.
Both of these issues have been discussed at length several times.

340.01(16) Farm tractor definition includes mowing machines ! thus a impliment of husbandry ...

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
340.01(16) Farm tractor definition includes mowing machines ! thus a impliment of husbandry ...
(16) “Farm tractor” means a motor vehicle designed and used
primarily as a farm implement for drawing plows, mowing
machines and other implements of husbandry.
A garden tractor or lawn tractor doesn't draw(pull) a mowing machine, it IS a mowing machine.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
my large frame Simplicity and Allis Chalmers garden tractors can and do draw a rear mounted mower, 1 bottom plow, front-mid- OR rear scraper blades...and ocasionally a 4' sickle mower...not much different than i can do with my Allis WD45...
Granted, but the subject of this thread is, "Open Carry Driving a Riding Lawnmower"; do your Simplicity and your Allis qualify?