• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC on a motorcycle?

errraaah

good afternoon gents (and ladies), new guy here and sorry if this question has been ran over before (I searched the topic and couldnt find it)...but to my understanding is that if youre in a vehichle your weapon has to be locked up, correct? If so, is this also applicable to motorcycles? Reason why Im asking is that my primary vic is a streetbike...Ive been riding with it locked up and secured in the tail section of my subframe (underneath the passenger seat) but it occured to me that if I go down, the plastic is going to go into a million pieces and my weapon is now somewhere across the freeway along with the rest of me. I am much more capable of retaining it if I could have it holstered on my person while riding (blackhawk serpa II...not going anywhere) but am not sure if this is legal, anyone got anything for this? Thanks again

hogeaterf6

I doubt the trunk will 'fly open'. It could but would be rare. Been on alot of MC wrecks and never seen a saddle bag rip open.

DRECKONER

Harley trip

Im planning on making a trip on my Harley from Montana, thru Idaho and Utah wearing a drop-leg Serpa holster. It is totally open and visible.
These 3 states are all fully open carry.
However, are there any special requirements for Motorcycles that anyone knows about ?

MyWifeSaidYes

In Ohio, open carry is not permitted in a motor vehicle unless you have a Concealed Handgun License. Motorcycles and boats are motor vehicles. Even though you may be "on" the vehicle rather than "in" it, you can not open carry without a CHL.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Im planning on making a trip on my Harley from Montana, thru Idaho and Utah wearing a drop-leg Serpa holster. It is totally open and visible.
These 3 states are all fully open carry.
However, are there any special requirements for Motorcycles that anyone knows about ?
IN UTAH you are prohibited from having a firearm in a vehicle (Motorcycle is a vehicle) but there are some exemptions...

First you must be 18 years or older then YOU must be in legal possession (you own it or have permission of the owner to have the vehicle) OR as a passenger permission of the person in control of the vehicle. As long as you meet these exemptions the you can carry, wear, conceal, dangle, hang from a string a firearm that is unloaded, loaded, painted pink or orange or whatever BUT....

Don't step out of the vehicle or OFF the motorcycle with a loaded (Utah defines unloaded as no round in firing position and it must take more that one action to cause the weapon to fire) and/or concealed firearm. It is against Utah law to have a loaded firearm on a public road. Permit holders are exempt (Utah recognizes ALL permits issued by any state or county).

Utah recently changed it's GFSZ law to basically on the property or inside the buildings for K-12 AND includes colleges/universities. Federal 1000 foot from the property line GFSZ still applies UNLESS you have a permit ISSUED you by UTAH.

Only prohibited places in Utah besides the standard Federal No carry zones would be inside a private residence where you have been told by the occupant that weapons are not permitted or there is a sign, LDS church meeting houses (infraction only), courthouses, in secure portions of jails/prisons/mental or psychiatric facilities, secure portions of airports ( before TSA sections are good to go). OK to carry in State and federal forests/parks/monuments but NOT inside the buildings of Federal parks, rangers offices, and POST OFFICES (outside property is prohibited also). Generally "No weapons/gun" signs on carry no legal weight except for those specific areas above, but IF you are asked to leave a business, hospital,shopping mall, store and refuse you may be charged with Trespass.

And IANAL, the preceding is not legal advise but rather my opinion ONLY.