• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Euphemisms

Jojo712

Founder's Club Member
Folks,

Our dear buddy Super Blackhawk has come up with a great idea to aid the passage of what we stand for, and to make the phrase more palatable to regular folks: just like other movements have their euphemisms, like "pro-choice" and "pro-life"; "adult entertainment"; "between jobs"; "collateral damage"; "out-source"; etc, we should adopt our own, such as: "holstered carry" should replace "open carry," since it conveys the sense of security that goes along with a holster rather than the sense that because something is "open" it is thereby free, loose, and uncontrolled.

Thank you, Super Blackhawk. What are your thoughts, folks?

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
How would you differentiate between concealed and open carry if it is only to be called holstered carry? My belief is that just about everyone here who legally OCs does so with their handgun holstered (except maybe those dudes with their AK pistols) . I think Open Carry works fine and there is no need to change it to do something to make people feel better. Just my thoughts....

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
How would you differentiate between concealed and open carry if it is only to be called holstered carry? My belief is that just about everyone here who legally OCs does so with their handgun holstered (except maybe those dudes with their AK pistols) . I think Open Carry works fine and there is no need to change it to do something to make people feel better. Just my thoughts....

I believe the intent is disambiguation through elimination of the false premise.

What is the difference when it's in the holster, to the scaredy-cat minded? Nothing. It's in a holster. CC or OC really makes no difference.

It's an interesting angle. I'd have to give it more thought to provide reasonable feedback.

ADulay

.... we should adopt our own, such as: "holstered carry" should replace "open carry," since it conveys the sense of security that goes along with a holster rather than the sense that because something is "open" it is thereby free, loose, and uncontrolled.

Hmm, that probably would "sound" better to the public. They understand what a holster is but "open carry" probably means a lot of different things to the uninformed.

Knowing how the legislators work, they'd probably have it wind up as a "holstered weapon in your pocket" or something similar!

However, it does have a nicer sound to it for sure, at least for the "sheeple" out there.

Whatever we do for the next legislative session, we've got to come up with a good idea for sure.

AD

~*'Phoenix'*~

I think out next effort should be "Constitutional Carry," sounds good to the uninformed, aims higher, and we can 'compromise' back to unlicensed OC/licenced CC with licensed campus cc.
Approve?

77zach

I think it would be an excellent way to rephrase OC when meeting with your legislators.

I also like "unconcealed" or "unhidden". The reason most states outlawed hidden weapons was the erroneous belief that you were attempting to conceal your mal intent. We're trying to do something less scary by deleting "..briefly and..." In the end, the media will make it sound as bad as possible, no matter what. Are the mainstream media anything more than a 4th branch of government? And lawmakers don't know the law. When the heroic Joe Abruzzo tried to revive SB 234 on the house floor, some of the reps made it clear they thought open carry meant you could wave it around. Obviously, they never heard of 790.10.

Jojo712

Founder's Club Member
I think out next effort should be "Constitutional Carry," sounds good to the uninformed, aims higher, and we can 'compromise' back to unlicensed OC/licenced CC with licensed campus cc.
Approve?

100%. This is also an extraordinary euphemism for "open carry." It means the same thing (and more) without having the prejudicial overtones that "open carry" may convey. After this year, the term 'open carry' may have gained some unneeded baggage when it was emasculated at the last minute; therefore, going at it with the same exact terminology next year might send us in the same exact direction.

You can go ahead and stick this one in your next poll: "When it comes to gun rights, which language might you consider supporting?"
a. Constitutional carry
b. undisguised holstered carry (trying to improve on 77zach, who made a couple of killer suggestions. Undisguised = I have nothing to hide)
c. open carry

No fourth option. It's a poll. If they wanna say guns are "meanie weapons," you just mark nothing and go on to the next one: like target-shooting, there will always be a few strays. The first two might just gain a marked advantage over open carry. I'm going to find out when my next election is, and Im going to work on a poll along with my college CJ students; the topics will include gun rights, early release, immigration (in Miami, of all places), and other topics that deal with crime. I will ask the same question in a few different ways, to get a feel for the Miami-Dade populace.

I'll spread them in pairs at the polls, with neutral shirts (or school shirts), have them bring coolers, and then meet at the office for pizza and drinks. The polls would serve a purpose for my students and a purpose for me. Mine would be "refining language" in order to make things more palatable for the folks in Miami (if you have Dade and Broward, the entire state is just about set). This poll idea starts today and will be done before 11/15 (just checked it out on another tab), but with your poll questions, we may be able to, as Ixtow asserted, "disambiguate."

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what language we employ, but we cannot take the attitude, expressed earlier, that "there's no need to change it to make people feel better"; while true, it ignores political realities: everybody wishes to feel as if they did the right thing when they went to the polls. If mushy language helps us to attain our goals, so be it. Who cares? The goal for all of us remains constitutional carry and then some, but we should support legislation next year that espouses language that we believe would be more likely to pass, because of its palatability.

Jojo712

Founder's Club Member
... lawmakers don't know the law. When the heroic Joe Abruzzo tried to revive SB 234 on the house floor, some of the reps made it clear they thought open carry meant you could wave it around. Obviously, they never heard of 790.10.

Genius. Our legislators can be assured, "look at how this reads: holstered so that it's safe and can never be removed unless there's a life or death situation, and undisguised so that law enforcement and others know exactly where it is, and there aren't any tricks about it." Something along those lines (still a work in progress obviously) may appease our legislators. Language is everything.

Last edited:

Mas49.56

I like the idea. Even the most ignorant unenlightened representative could not mistake the meaning.

77zach

Approve?

I think "big" changes require a separate bill. Crossing out briefly by amendment after criminal justice may be the only chance we have, assuming it must go through that committee. If 2012 is a bust, I say 2013 we go for the real thing as you say.

77zach

Genius. Our legislators can be assured, "look at how this reads: holstered so that it's safe and can never be removed unless there's a life or death situation, and undisguised so that law enforcement and others know exactly where it is, and there aren't any tricks about it." Something along those lines (still a work in progress obviously) may appease our legislators. Language is everything.

Yes, some states require you to disclose your weapon upon official contact by an LEO. The pro gun rights state of Montana requires you to unhide your gun before going into a bar.