• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at airport???

open_carry

I may be going to RDU soon and wanted to know if OC is banned and if so, are all firearms banned to include concealed ???
Is it posted at the door to the terminals ???
I'll just leave it locked in the car then, but it's better to know beforehand!

Thanks

EricDailey X-NRA

OC and RDU Airport, previous thread

See this previous thread for other information.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?90290-OC-at-RDU

RDU Airport is a NC municipality so its ordinances apply just like other Towns and they have a PD of the same category as Raleigh PD or Durham PD. I know the road signs about firearms do not give the full information from the ordinance. I use to have a copy of the ordinance and it had exceptions to the "NO gunz" info on the road signs.

Get the RDU PD office to fax you a copy of the ordinance and read it before you OC. Do not assume the Officers will know what the law allows. You may be able to get the Departments' firearms trainer on the phone and ask him. ...

mrjam2jab

See this previous thread for other information.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?90290-OC-at-RDU

RDU Airport is a NC municipality so its ordinances apply just like other Towns and they have a PD of the same category as Raleigh PD or Durham PD. I know the road signs about firearms do not give the full information from the ordinance. I use to have a copy of the ordinance and it had exceptions to the "NO gunz" info on the road signs.

Get the RDU PD office to fax you a copy of the ordinance and read it before you OC. Do not assume the Officers will know what the law allows. You may be able to get the Departments' firearms trainer on the phone and ask him. ...

I understood RDU Airport to be jointly run my Raleigh and Durham....and as such preemption should prevent them from prohibiting carry in any areas with exception of the secure areas controlled by TSA.

How is an airport a municipality?

EricDailey X-NRA

Some info

I understood RDU Airport to be jointly run my Raleigh and Durham....and as such preemption should prevent them from prohibiting carry in any areas with exception of the secure areas controlled by TSA.

How is an airport a municipality?

I don't know all these answers but...

"The General Assembly of North Carolina charters the Raleigh-Durham Aeronautical Authority in 1939, which would be changed in 1945 to the Raleigh-Durham Airport Authority."

"Raleigh-Durham International Airport is governed by the Raleigh-Durham Airport Authority, an eight-member board. The cities of Durham and Raleigh and the counties of Durham and Wake appoint two members each to the Airport Authority board of directors. The Airport Authority is a governmental body responsible for the development, operation and maintenance of the airport"

http://www.rdu.com/aboutrdu/history.htm#top

BTW, what preemption do you refer to?

mrjam2jab

"The General Assembly of North Carolina charters the Raleigh-Durham Aeronautical Authority in 1939, which would be changed in 1945 to the Raleigh-Durham Airport Authority."

"Raleigh-Durham International Airport is governed by the Raleigh-Durham Airport Authority, an eight-member board. The cities of Durham and Raleigh and the counties of Durham and Wake appoint two members each to the Airport Authority board of directors. The Airport Authority is a governmental body responsible for the development, operation and maintenance of the airport"

THis one:

GS 14-409.40

EricDailey X-NRA

Not Preemption.

....and as such preemption should prevent them from prohibiting carry in any areas with exception of the secure areas controlled by TSA.

The "Title" of this Law 14-409.40, is "Statewide uniformity of local regulation."
The law does have the word "preemption" in it but it is so full of EXEMPTIONS that it could be titled "SWISS CHEESE".

The purpose of this bill is ONLY to protect gun makers and sellers from municipal lawsuits. Only the NC atty general can sue gun folks for the injuries to persons in NC. This bill is only to stop the Brady crowd from helping Chapel Hill from suing Smith and Wesson and Winchester. This bill (14-409.40) could be named the "NRA financial patron protection act" You can probably find one just like in in every state in the Union.