• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Well it finally happened... (positive OC encounter)

Metalhead47

Can't seem to find the North end OC report. So....

Well after being a regular customer at the Freeland Ace hardware, and OCing there 90% of the time for the last couple years, someone finally said something about it. As my wife & I were getting into her truck after picking up a few things, a fellow came out, think he's a manager, and says "excuse me, can I ask you about your pistol?" Kind of caught me off guard, and from the wording he used I wasn't sure if if was actually asking about the pistol (what model? caliber? etc), or why I had it. So I say, "sure, what can I help you with?" or something like that. And he responds, "well, I know you've been a regular in here for a while, but I've gotta ask, is that legal? Some of my other customers have been asking..."

He was completely polite and seemed mostly curious, I've spend enough money in there he was probably sure I wasn't a raving lunatic or some such. So we gave him the low down on the legality of OC in WA, told him we'd bring him a pamphlet next time we were in. He asked if I did have a CPL and I said yes, mostly for loaded vehicle carry. Good experience overall, although the "is that legal?" line always gets me (no, I'm walking around in public openly committing a crime, of course! :rolleyes:), just kinda surprising. Been in & out of there tons of times, most of the employees recognize me, been helped here & there by a few of them, all without a single comment. Well except for this one lady who gave me a bit of attitude at the check stand one day, but no comment about the HP.

Never fails, positive or negative these interactions never come up when I'm prepared & have my whole spiel planned out, always come up outta left field. :p

... and then there was the clerk at Dairy Queen today who comically froze up as soon as I walked in the door :facepalm:

amlevin

"is that legal?"

A question that way too many people in this state are asking.

Maybe it's time to take another approach to reach as many people as possible. Every radio and TV station in the country has to make a certain number of "Public Service Announcements". These are often announcements that are scripted by individuals and groups to be read or "on air". We need to get some of our own PSA's (the announcement, not the test :)) on the air advising that the open carry of firearms is legal as long as it is done within the parameters of the law.

It might also be time to get some of the "Outdoor Media" companies (billboards) to put display this message on billboards as their "Public Service". A nice big picture of someone carrying a holstered pistol with a simple message "It's your Right, and it's Legal".

Wouldn't that drive the "Brady Bunch" wild?

MKEgal

Metalhead47 said:
...all without a single comment. Well except for this one lady who gave me a bit of attitude at the check stand one day, but no comment about the HP.
Which goes to show that an OCer is not inherently intimidating, or everyone would be extremely polite & we'd always get whatever we wanted. (And no anti would ever get in our faces in a snit; if they were really scared, they'd run away & call police.)

...and then there was the clerk at Dairy Queen today who comically froze up as soon as I walked in the door :facepalm:
I had a grocery store manager do that to me once, putting his hands up & saying "don't shoot me".
I'd seen one of his clerks do something illegal, that could get the store in trouble w/ the state (illegal liquor sale), so I went to customer service & asked to speak w/ a manager.
I'd been standing there a couple minutes, completely peacefully, before he walked up.
Other than the first wisecrack, he didn't say anything about it, & seemed to appreciate knowing about the illegal sale.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Sounds like a good solid interaction. It's also good that you were able to educate him regarding the law, hopefully he will tell some of his co-workers.

Metalhead47

Which goes to show that an OCer is not inherently intimidating, or everyone would be extremely polite & we'd always get whatever we wanted. (And no anti would ever get in our faces in a snit; if they were really scared, they'd run away & call police.)

I had a grocery store manager do that to me once, putting his hands up & saying "don't shoot me".
I'd seen one of his clerks do something illegal, that could get the store in trouble w/ the state (illegal liquor sale), so I went to customer service & asked to speak w/ a manager.
I'd been standing there a couple minutes, completely peacefully, before he walked up.
Other than the first wisecrack, he didn't say anything about it, & seemed to appreciate knowing about the illegal sale.

LOL, well I have noticed I do tend to get better service when OCing. The lady the other day at Super Supplements (think she might have been an immigrant, had a slight accent), was extremely helpful as soon as she saw the Tanfoglio, but the whole time she was helping us she was talking to the gun. I said to my wife, now I know how a woman feels when a man talks to her cleavage. I'm up here dammit! :lol:

tombrewster421

LOL, well I have noticed I do tend to get better service when OCing. The lady the other day at Super Supplements (think she might have been an immigrant, had a slight accent), was extremely helpful as soon as she saw the Tanfoglio, but the whole time she was helping us she was talking to the gun. I said to my wife, now I know how a woman feels when a man talks to her cleavage. I'm up here dammit! :lol:

That is hilarious!

jt59

That's funny, right there, I don't care who you are.....:)

Wolfebane

This might be close enough. I haven't had much time to post all my reports in there in a while, but I will start up again soon.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?79582-The-North-of-Everett-OC-Report

... and then there was the clerk at Dairy Queen today who comically froze up as soon as I walked in the door :facepalm:

If you're describing what I think you are, then I have to say it's not very comical. I've had several people "comically" throw up their hands and in a normal if not loud voice say "DON'T SHOOT" and then giggle to themselves. I mean who thinks that's funny. That could get me in a deep load of trouble if someone who isn't completely "in" on the situation freaks out. I have had several other incidents where people made comments like "don't shoot me" or a variation there of, or with intent to mean such (without the throwing up of hands) - I find it somewhat interesting that all of those "Don't shoot me" encounters have been from black's - from the manager of a Denny's on down to 80 year old Granny - but that's something for a sociologist I suppose.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

This might be close enough. I haven't had much time to post all my reports in there in a while, but I will start up again soon.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?79582-The-North-of-Everett-OC-Report

If you're describing what I think you are, then I have to say it's not very comical. I've had several people "comically" throw up their hands and in a normal if not loud voice say "DON'T SHOOT" and then giggle to themselves. I mean who thinks that's funny. That could get me in a deep load of trouble if someone who isn't completely "in" on the situation freaks out. I have had several other incidents where people made comments like "don't shoot me" or a variation there of, or with intent to mean such (without the throwing up of hands) - I find it somewhat interesting that all of those "Don't shoot me" encounters have been from black's - from the manager of a Denny's on down to 80 year old Granny - but that's something for a sociologist I suppose.

When people give me the "don't shoot me" line, I ask them "Why are you planning on harming me ?"

Metalhead47

Not quite... it was comical, because all he did was freeze up with a goofy smile on his face, not so much out of fear, but out of an inability to understand the situation. Like if you were behind a retail counter, and Elvis, Teddy Roosevelt, and Henry VII walked in together.... dressed like clowns. You might have a similar expression.