• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC and Shooting

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
My wife and I traveled up to Silverthorne today intending to visit her neice in Kremmling and going to a range to shoot.

Once we arrived in Silverthorne, we stopped at the Sports Authority to buy targets. While my wife was inside finding them, I stood outside smoking my pipe. A gentleman seated on a bench in front of the store asked about my pistol. "It's a Springfield Armory XDm .40" I told him proudly. He had three smallish dogs with him and told me how they constantly feared for their safety because bob cats and coyotes were always near their home. "A good reason to always be armed and ready to defend these little guys" I told him.

We got up to Kremmling and hit the only quick food place in town, a Subway. We had to endure a longish line, not surprising when it is the only quick food place in town. So, as it turned out with a twist of irony, it wasn't quick at all. As we waited, the man just ahead of me turned and was clearly checking out the pistol on my hip. We engaged in a discussion about open carrying and got along real nicely while we were waiting to be served.

Then it was off to the range with my wife's neice and her young man, and the neice's 10 year old son. After setting a target (outdoor range, BTW), I took the young boy out to about 7 yards from the target, let him handle the wife's Walther PK 380 unloaded, showed him the proper grip on the weapon, explained how he needed to understand safety precautions (never point the pistol at anything you are not willing to destroy, keep your finger out of the trigger housing until ready to shoot, always point the muzzle in a safe direction, always regard the weapon as loaded, etc. etc.) After a period of that sort of thing, I loaded the weapon and the boy took it in his right hand (keeping it pointed to the target, with safety on) and I checked his form. He learned well and kept his finger out of the trigger guard and his grip looked excellent. I told him I was taking the safety off, and to keep the gun pointed downrange and his finger out of the trigger guard. Then I stepped behind him and told him to aim at the target first, then insert his finger into the trigger guard and prepare to fire. Seeing he was ready, I asked him to squeeze the trigger. When the gun went off, he shook with surprise. The expression on his face was priceless. Standing directly behind him, I told him to do it again. The boy shot very well for his first time with a 380, and couldn't get enough of shooting his first handgun.

After we all shot various weapons (4 adults in the group) ranging from the wife's 380 to my Judge with 9mm in the middle... and a couple of revolvers the neice and her young man had brought along, we picked up our brass and headed back into Kremmling.

Before parting company, I talked with the boy about how I had placed trust in him to begin learning to handle guns responsibly and wanted him to be safe around them. I explained how a gun can be a deadly thing. While it is fun to shoot them, they must be respected and handled with tremendous care. I told him I gave him the respect of a man for a young fellow I'd like to see grow to be a responsible and wise man in his own right.

After that we left to come home and I'm certain there is a young fellow in Kremmling tonight who is dreaming of his day at the range, and when he can one day own a firearm and take his place among law abiding citizens of Colorado who have chosen to enjoy responsible gun ownership. I told him to look to his step dad and heed his instruction as he learns more about firearms. "I've watched him shoot and handle his guns. He knows what he's doing! Benefit from his knowledge and you'll do great!"

Meanwhile, the neice learned today how her Lady Smith 357 ain't much fun to shoot. It really beats the hand to death and all the recoil goes straight into the palm. After trying our automatic pistols, she plans to sell the 357 and use the money to buy an automatic pistol of her own.

All in all, we had a real fun day, and shared a great time together at the range.
I got some great photos too, including shots of other shooters sharing the next pistol range to ours.

20110704_17.JPG View attachment 6183 View attachment 6184 View attachment 6185 View attachment 6182

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Last edited:

M-Taliesin

Very nice! I've had a few days like that!

Howdy Pard!
What makes for a good day around here is when my wife, my pardner and I all go together to the range,
and we all have plenty of ammo to shoot. Ah, that's fun.

Unfortunately, with all of us working for a living, it doesn't happen nearly often enough!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

strife1013

Great story, can't wait till I have little ones to teach them to shoot. As well I love how you told him to respect the weapon and safety precaustions, number one rule in firearm ownership.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Great story, can't wait till I have little ones to teach them to shoot. As well I love how you told him to respect the weapon and safety precaustions, number one rule in firearm ownership.

I learned at 9, so did my son. Last night we left my parents (his grandparents) after watching a movie, and when I asked them if they'd moved my bag (in which I CC), my son (now 11) who was standing beside me piped up and said, "Right here, Dad. I didn't want you to forget it!"

Mom was a touch alarmed, but Dad just grinned, knowing how my son was growing up. My son and I did have a short chat in the car about how I'd get it myself next time, and a simple reminder would do... Meanwhile, he's very cautious around it, as he should be.