Thread: National Firearms Training Week! July 4-11, 2011

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

National Firearms Training Week! July 4-11, 2011

Its National Firearms Training Week once again! Celebrate Independence Day and week with a salute to your firearms ownership. Take a training class, take a friend to the range, or try to learn a new firearm skill.

For those interested in taking a class with Proactive Shooters, our full course calendar is here: http://proactiveshooters.com/course-calendar/
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

I didn't know this was the designated week for training, but I am taking a 2 day class this weekend 9th and 10th. CC and Defensive Hand Gun. Lots of range time and 600 rounds minimum. I'm looking forward to it and to getting my CHP.

Happy 4th;

Ric

Good timing. I have been thinking about a question for a few weeks, back of the mind sort of thing.

Hope not too far off topic, but it does fit right in with the "take a friend to the range".

I won't claim to be an expert at anything, but I believe I know how to safely handle firearms. I would enjoy the opportunity to expose friends with little or no experience to the fun and challenge of shooting.

Short of taking an NRA Instructor training course, what advice is there on how to best introduce a newbie to the art of firearms?

Obviously the best answer is to send them to official training. But in real life, if they have no experience, and are just wanting to see what it's all about, training will come later. So for that first exposure, first day at a range, what minimum amount of information should one assemble and present to go along with the fun part of actually shooting?

I hope this is a good question. I suspect many of us could use a good answer.

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Good timing. I have been thinking about a question for a few weeks, back of the mind sort of thing.

Hope not too far off topic, but it does fit right in with the "take a friend to the range".

I won't claim to be an expert at anything, but I believe I know how to safely handle firearms. I would enjoy the opportunity to expose friends with little or no experience to the fun and challenge of shooting.

Short of taking an NRA Instructor training course, what advice is there on how to best introduce a newbie to the art of firearms?

Obviously the best answer is to send them to official training. But in real life, if they have no experience, and are just wanting to see what it's all about, training will come later. So for that first exposure, first day at a range, what minimum amount of information should one assemble and present to go along with the fun part of actually shooting?

I hope this is a good question. I suspect many of us could use a good answer.

TFred
    Start with the rules of safety, and make sure they are followed.

Other than that explain how to aim, and help them learn about the firearm.

Show them good handling techniques.

Then let them have fun.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    but I believe I know how to safely handle firearms.
    Of course you do (you took one of my classes LMAO! )

what advice is there on how to best introduce a newbie to the art of firearms?
    I would suggest the 4 Basic Rules of firearms safety, followed by the fundamentals of shooting on the range, as well as basic parts and operation of the firearms being utilized.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/