• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National Firearms Training Week! July 4-11, 2011

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
National-Firearms-Training-Week.jpg

Its National Firearms Training Week once again! Celebrate Independence Day and week with a salute to your firearms ownership. Take a training class, take a friend to the range, or try to learn a new firearm skill.

For those interested in taking a class with Proactive Shooters, our full course calendar is here: http://proactiveshooters.com/course-calendar/

Ric R

I didn't know this was the designated week for training, but I am taking a 2 day class this weekend 9th and 10th. CC and Defensive Hand Gun. Lots of range time and 600 rounds minimum. I'm looking forward to it and to getting my CHP.

Happy 4th;

Ric

TFred

Good timing. I have been thinking about a question for a few weeks, back of the mind sort of thing.

Hope not too far off topic, but it does fit right in with the "take a friend to the range".

I won't claim to be an expert at anything, but I believe I know how to safely handle firearms. I would enjoy the opportunity to expose friends with little or no experience to the fun and challenge of shooting.

Short of taking an NRA Instructor training course, what advice is there on how to best introduce a newbie to the art of firearms?

Obviously the best answer is to send them to official training. But in real life, if they have no experience, and are just wanting to see what it's all about, training will come later. So for that first exposure, first day at a range, what minimum amount of information should one assemble and present to go along with the fun part of actually shooting?

I hope this is a good question. I suspect many of us could use a good answer.

TFred

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Good timing. I have been thinking about a question for a few weeks, back of the mind sort of thing.

Hope not too far off topic, but it does fit right in with the "take a friend to the range".

I won't claim to be an expert at anything, but I believe I know how to safely handle firearms. I would enjoy the opportunity to expose friends with little or no experience to the fun and challenge of shooting.

Short of taking an NRA Instructor training course, what advice is there on how to best introduce a newbie to the art of firearms?

Obviously the best answer is to send them to official training. But in real life, if they have no experience, and are just wanting to see what it's all about, training will come later. So for that first exposure, first day at a range, what minimum amount of information should one assemble and present to go along with the fun part of actually shooting?

I hope this is a good question. I suspect many of us could use a good answer.

TFred

Start with the rules of safety, and make sure they are followed.

Other than that explain how to aim, and help them learn about the firearm.

Show them good handling techniques.

Then let them have fun.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
but I believe I know how to safely handle firearms.

Of course you do (you took one of my classes LMAO! :) )

what advice is there on how to best introduce a newbie to the art of firearms?

I would suggest the 4 Basic Rules of firearms safety, followed by the fundamentals of shooting on the range, as well as basic parts and operation of the firearms being utilized.